UNIDENTIFIED MATERIAL

G

ghostminer

Located some of this on a bluff above a creek on our mining property. Anyone have a guess as to what it is? WP_20140330_022.jpg WP_20140330_008.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like crushed fluorite, a well known flux material for smelting.

RLIL15B-12a-ross-lillie-illinois-mineral-specimens.jpg

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
potassium mixing with iron, potassium ferrate? might try a basic soil tests from like a farm/Ag store

fire ******ants contain phosphates? the color could be just stain from oxidized copper or bornite.

it wont let me type re ta rd ant

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with no crystals and on the surface of mud/clay?

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Specimen grade I was told. Could be sold by the flat > 14" X 10". Somewhat rare in northern Cal.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a specimen like that is rare anywhere

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would be nice to see under a light

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
black light, is it hard, soft? the yellow stuff looks the same only a different color. whats it look like under magnification.
Fluorite has a hardness of 4 and crystals are cubic. maybe its powdered and got wet or the building blocks that form fluorite.
I still think it looks like some mineral oxide, supergene enrichment or even microorganisms or fungus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ghostminer

So I had this material checked by a large scale gemstone dealer who does warehouse size business. He said it is specimen grade fluorite. Very unusual to find in our area but more commonly found in certain areas of Utah & Colorado. It doesn't have a great value. It would be gathered & sold on slab board size of 14 inches by 12 inches for around $50 each. No, I won't stop mining gold or even bother to disturb the site where the fluorite sits. Just wanted to find out what it was. There have been some good people on this thread trying to help & as usual a few snarky comments from the usual people. I am not sure why everything I post gets that type remark from Clay. I am asking you to knock it off. I thank God I am privileged to live in the greatest country in the world where a man can work hard & achieve his dreams. I am living mine.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you asked for I.D. and got some.

It doesn't look like a fluorite specimen period.
There are members here who have been rock hounding and prospecting for decades. So, people with many many more years of experience than you are gonna chime in it's what you asked for isn't it?
You are right it is very rare in your area because of the geology.
It's a public online forum no rules were broken your just gonna have to deal with comments you don't like.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

As I said, most of the comments were people trying to help. Others like dredernaut"grape koolaid on a turd" & clay's disparaging comments meant to embarrass are not helpful. There is an agenda with that guy & I don't know why. I will take the assessment of a professional gemstone seller as he should know what he is talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread