UNIDENTIFIED MATERIAL

G

ghostminer

Located some of this on a bluff above a creek on our mining property. Anyone have a guess as to what it is? WP_20140330_022.jpg WP_20140330_008.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know. However time to crush and pan as a first test. Also look under glass with your eyes for other clues.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Azurite? I am colorblind but that is what the picture looks like to me. Any other copper minerals around?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Azurite? I am colorblind but that is what the picture looks like to me. Any other copper minerals around?
Yes the color may indicate it may contain copper. Looking under the glass may give some more clues.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crazy nice purple! Hope you find some goodies!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lichen, algae, fungus look at it under a microscope.
lick it, it may be psychedelic.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like spilled PVC primer.

81eb052c-db38-482e-832e-1a6e0ac378f0.jpg

When I was in the Gila there was a woman who spilled that stuff everywhere. That's exactly what it looked like when spilled on the dirt. Oatey brand.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know. However time to crush and pan as a first test. Also look under glass with your eyes for other clues.

Its not gold or anything else particularly heavy looking.
Not sure what crushing and panning will do for you other than reduce it to worthless powder.
It looks like some sort of oxidized copper or maybe amethyst, nice specimen.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its not gold or anything else particularly heavy looking.
Not sure what crushing and panning will do for you other than reduce it to worthless powder.
It looks like some sort of oxidized copper or maybe amethyst, nice specimen.
Good point just thought if it is heavier then the surrounding rock it should pan out, may make it easier to do a assay type of test. A scratch test for hardness should be done before crushing. If there is more of this material rock then crush and assay otherwise keep as a specimen.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like copper sulfate I've seen in mines in AZ.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Not sure. We do have DSO iron (direct shipment ore) which is pure iron that needs no refining. We first found it in nugget form. It's shiny silver in color & we at first thought it was a platinum nugget. One of my partners took it to a mineralogist & he told him it was pure iron. WP_20140427_015 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Copper Sulfate is blue - not purple. It's a man made substance not found in nature. The closest analogue to Copper Sulfate in nature would be Chalcanthite which can vary from blue to greenish but never purple.

It looks exactly like a surface spill of a chemical substance.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Larger view of material on bluff about 50 ft above creek. WP_20140330_008.jpg

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Not going to tell you what this is. WP_20140330_007.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure. We do have DSO iron (direct shipment ore) which is pure iron that needs no refining. We first found it in nugget form. It's shiny silver in color & we at first thought it was a platinum nugget. One of my partners took it to a mineralogist & he told him it was pure iron. View attachment 1534022

Maybe not 100% pure but naturally alloyed with something to make it stainless (?), or, did you polish it?

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

No, that's the way it came out of the ground. We were told it's pure iron. It was tested.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

We aren't mining where this comes from. One of our partners found it while hiking up a creek & climbing a bluff about 50/60 ft above the creek. A fairly large area of it exists. I showed the pictures to our geologist & he told me it may be a material associated with some type of high grade ore deposit which could possibly lie beneath this. We are not permitted in that area for large excavation but I am quite curious.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a geologist analyzing it you could share what the streak, hardness, specific gravity, luster and cleavage are. With that info there should be a pretty small group of minerals to choose from. That's an unusual color and really limits the options as to what type of mineral is involved.

I'm thinking it's a chemical dump. Not unusual and it would explain the surface nature of the "deposit". Of course if it were a chemical as opposed to mineral deposit your geologist wouldn't be speculating about a "high grade ore deposit".

Maybe you could ask your geologist to confirm his speculation by taking a few readings with his XRF?

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Yes, all he has are pictures right now. Hard for him to make a call. If it was a chemical dump someone went to a lot of trouble as the climb up to that spot is 60 ft & near vertical. It's about 1/2 mile from the old mining areas where we are permitted. We had a crew about 1000 ft south of that spot trenching that bluff on a Plan of Operation back in 2015. We dug into the bluff on that side of the creek & went 25 ft down to bedrock. Result? $5/yd. Not worth mining at that location. Moved over 1/2 mile to a faultline at the old hydraulic area. Result? $40/yd. I tend to follow the area where the old timers mined. But that area from that picture is unexplored. Might be worth a dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread