Gold Prospecting in South-Central Illinois

Jan 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey fellas, me and a couple friends caught gold fever and are planning on panning for gold down here in Effingham county, on and around the Little Wabash river. We were hoping for any tips and tricks you guys had for locating gold deposits downstream of glacial moraines. One of my buddies owns land in Champaign county, which is right in the middle of all the moraines, and we were wondering if it would be better to check in the large stream/small river that runs through his land there, or if being a few miles south of the last of the moraines would be better. Any help at all is appreciated greatly!

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are sticking with current waterways, then common gold prospecting techniques apply, if you are searching for ancient glacial outwash streams that are now no longer flowing and buried, and not evident, well much more to it, my advice is, if you're just panning for fun,don't waste time with looking for hard to find glacial deposits, for its been my experience that these are only marginally better, and not worth the effort, you should get color in any stream flowing from glacial areas.glacial gold is spotty, meaning that it is not dispersed thourghout all stream gravels, but only in trap areas fit there isnt a constant source, so when you get color, I suggest you work that area, its unlikely to find a hotter spot. Gold luck to you.

PioneerPauly

Mar 28, 2010
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug II
Primary Interest:
Other
Take photos of the area too im curious to see what your dealing with. Also, if I or anybody else notices something we can point you in the right direction too! :) Stay safe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread