PROSPECTING AROUND PAXTON CALIFORNIA

G

ghostminer

Has anyone been to Paxton California? It is about 11 miles wast of Quincy off HWY 70. You take a short road south, cross a bridge over the Feather River, then head straight up the mountain to Paxton. There is an old Western Pacific Railroad hotel up there that was built in the early 1900's. There are also some old cabins. On the south side of the Feather River there is an old drift mint that goes into the mountain & further west down the river the remains of an old stamp mill. I watched a guy metal detecting on the flood plain rolling over boulders with a pry bar & he got a nice little nugget. DSC00019.jpg DSC00060.jpg DSC00075.jpg DSC00077.jpg DSC00011.jpg DSC00078.jpg DSC00058.jpg DSC00062.jpg DSC00286.jpg DSC00285.jpg DSC00076.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 111
  • DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to Paxton, I have family in Quincy. Neat area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ghostminer

The old hotel is supposed to be haunted. They say if you sit out watching the upper windows you will see the ghost of an old lady who died there many years ago. I stayed up there in a cabin back in 2015 but I didn't drink enough to see her. I was more concerned with the bears that came down out of the mountain at night doing their mischief. We did find some gold. DSC00285.jpg

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the population sign on the highway. Only one I've ever seen that has a weekday and weekend population. I guess the river is the East branch of the north fork feather river. Just east of there is the confluence of Indian Creek and Spanish Creek.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Just cabins as far as I know. A group of people from San Francisco bought the property & were using the hotel occasionally for themselves while renting the cabins. My wife & I stayed in that 12 X 14 cabin pictured for quite awhile back in 2015 while working our mine. There are a couple people living there full time. I like the sound of the trains as they apply breaks coming down the mountain.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

The old hotel was leased by Electra Records back in the early 1970's & used as a recording studio & retreat. They say the recording artists spent too much time partying & not enough time working so the lease was not renewed. I know for a fact that Jackson Brown was there for awhile. I had the opportunity to tour the old hotel. It is normally closed to visitors and used by the owners as a retreat from San Francisco. One of their relatives stays up there full time. We made friends with him & that's how we got the tour of the hotel. It's like walking into an old movie set from the 1930's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions