Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So the White Water Gold Rush series just took on a new 7 inch dredge. Last night it got fired up for the first time, and a little surface gold was immediately found in their plunge pool that was filled up after last season. Last season they had to get clear down to bedrock before they found any gold; but this year they found gold immediately. I know why that happened, does anyone else want to venture their opinion? I am sure some other old timers can immediately determine why that is but I am curious if some of the newer gold miners have an opinion. If you are an old timer like myself you might just say you know why and leave open the discussion for some learning by others who watch the series.

Bejay

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
So the White Water Gold Rush series just took on a new 7 inch dredge. Last night it got fired up for the first time, and a little surface gold was immediately found in their plunge pool that was filled up after last season. Last season they had to get clear down to bedrock before they found any gold; but this year they found gold immediately. I know why that happened, does anyone else want to venture their opinion? I am sure some other old timers can immediately determine why that is but I am curious if some of the newer gold miners have an opinion. If you are an old timer like myself you might just say you know why and leave open the discussion for some learning by others who watch the series.

Bejay

I'm between old and new -- my guess is the producers salted it

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I invested 30 seconds to watch the promo and that's all I could take. I don't do the Parker or Fred shows. Give me a marathon of Ancient Aliens and I'll help pump up the Neilson Ratings 8-)

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold find was not scripted or salted. There is a good reason why they found what they did in short order. Granted the producers love to create some drama and sometimes it gets a little hard to watch; but any of us who have had the fever can always appreciate some of the real action in a sluice when it is time to check out what came up the nozzle. I kept wondering if he was going to get a clog or get a hand sucked into the nozzle. For sure that is a tough place to dredge. I kept thinking: why don't they have a cable net for pullin rocks/boulders? When he was perched on the boulder drilling it..... it reminded me of a time in Az when I had to perch on some big boulders, after many days of heavy rains, just to recover my Proline dredge....luckily I had cabled it in to a tree on the bank. We miners do enjoy some hairy moments at times....luckily none I have been a part of have ever gotten hurt.

Bejay

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Believe me the show is scripted -- I was a stage hand in the industry for over 30 years.
cheers Mike

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D boys are back in town

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't watch them before........ Won't be watching them now...

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well the reason they found gold right away this season had nothing to do with "scripting": unless of course you are one of the new generation believers that Man can control the climate/weather.

Bejay

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I invested 30 seconds to watch the promo and that's all I could take. I don't do the Parker or Fred shows. Give me a marathon of Ancient Aliens and I'll help pump up the Neilson Ratings 8-)

Oh I don’t do the Ancient Aliens thing, not my thing, but I’m glad you like it.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The giant landslide upstream supplied the gold and the winter runoff moved it down stream. Last years hole left a nice place for it to drop out.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the show too, Fred Hurt's constant arguments with his son reminds me a lot of my own dad as well. And I don't think it's scripted, it's just that Discovery edited it badly. He did a more detailed documentary too on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Blooded-Fred-Hurt/dp/B07BJL5JG9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546350362&sr=8-1&keywords=gold+fred+hurt

Exactly I hope they hit it big

I think they do, the previews for the next episodes show a pan full of chunky gold, way more than they ever got last season.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The giant landslide upstream supplied the gold and the winter runoff moved it down stream. Last years hole left a nice place for it to drop out.

BINGO! Yep.....and I would really like to be able to go up and check that hill the slide came down....what a possible source!

Possibly a metal detectors dream!

Bejay

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS burned another one hahahaha what a hoot. Lousy spot and what a clown show. I'm voting for the bear to win. Costs discovery a fortune to produce and sponsor this ungodly assinine mess. BUT I need the laughs so I've watched a couple to kill time. John

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the reason they found gold right away this season had nothing to do with "scripting": unless of course you are one of the new generation believers that Man can control the climate/weather.
Have you been living under a rock buddy.The weather can be controlled,look it up,start reading.LMBO

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He is just as big of an idiot as the Hoffmans

He gets 25K per episode

If he was good he wouldn't live in a dbl wide in the Dakota's and he would have made it already..

If you check back a few years you will see Freds very nice house get swept away in a flood.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get a laugh with all the anti gobble attacks on this program. It's refreshing to see a bunch of guy's trying to find some gold. Simple as that. Every year I never get disappointed on my recovery, just dream, fix, ponder what needs to be done next season. And it always starts out with looking at last years hole that is no longer a hole. There is always a decission to re-dredge or not to. Did that high water bring new gold into that area, did it have time to bury it's way to bedrock, did it just get pushed on down stream....
In my case just being able to get my boots on and off, my wetsuit on, keeping my inhaler close, and coming back to the 5th wheeler with as many fingers and toes in which I left with pleases me. I'm curious just how many posters would feel comfortable in that creek underwater. I'm a dredger but that water scares me. Anytime that you just barely lift your head and have the current catch your mask and tumble your ass downstream just can't be "scripted". And I kinda think that those burns from the waterheater were not scripted. These guy's have gut's (perhaps a bit of stupidity but hells bells I got some of that also) and until you do it you just can't relate and take it for what it is....beats the heck out of CNN and three piece suits. It's the friggin' search, not the discovery.
p.s. And just cause you got your dredge tied to a tree does not mean the branch won't break DSC00072.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions