CALIFORNIA MUD SLIDES

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
The devastation from mudslides and the loss of life and property is so very sad, hard to comprehend how folks recover from that.
But I was just wondering if disasters such as this ever uncover and revele new gold veins. It would seem like that is a possibility with so much overburden removed. Much like beach hunting after a major storm. Anyone ever had experience with this?

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a new vein I doubt, but nuggets I would bet on

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also caches from uprooted trees especially in older areas.

God be with the victims and their families.

798C469E-1BBF-432F-8A1E-9DD23D8DE9E3.jpeg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've seen.Those mudslides going completely through someones house.Will be carrying everything (including valuables) to someone else s house.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not really about the mud slides but more areas that have gold that the fires have cleaned of the vegetation.
might be able to see outcroppings or free gold might be able to work its way down hill.

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not really about the mud slides but more areas that have gold that the fires have cleaned of the vegetation.
might be able to see outcroppings or free gold might be able to work its way down hill.

It might be possible, has any gold been found in Montecito area before?
are there any quartz veins in the area?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The fires removed the vegetation that held the soil in place.The mud slides that Will follow are a direct cause & effect of the fires. Gravity will do the rest.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's winter. California needs the rain due to the huge population, but they have built on horrible ground.

what

Oct 9, 2015
USA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's winter. California needs the rain due to the huge population, but they have built on horrible ground.

To be fair to California these places were built on fine ground until the largest fire in the state ripped through that area and burned out all the vegetation.

Once the vegetation burned off those hillsides had nothing holding them together anymore and thats why this happened... Sad situation.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, very sad. LA itself sits in a basin. It's fairly arid. The need the rain up north, then it comes downstate through immense "pipelines", if that's the word for it. The naturally arid conditions lead to fires. Then comes the rains. The cycle repeats endlessly. And the lower San Andreas fault it tight as a newly wound clock, they haven't had a big quake in years. It may not happen in my lifetime, but when it does, it will make this past year look like child's play.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landslides and river floods are what create new river deposits

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole geology of the area is Mudstone and Sandstone and minor SiltStone ----- Add lots of water, and no vegetation ! Put your line here.
johnnysau

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnsau, well said. And don't forget the air. It's really nice. I was up in the Malibu highlands a few years ago, looking over the LA basin, and the air was colored by layers of pollution. Darkest on the bottom, and like a layer cake, lighter as you went up. It was no wonder I coughed when I was there last. I don't know how the locals handle it. Air you can see on a clear day.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could see on the news that people had landscaping and retaining wall built from local round cobbles and boulders.

Several properties were along a flood channel terraced and built with them.

It is all sad but, they were right on top of an obvious long established flood zone.

People with the amount of money needed to build in those places tend to be oblivious of the past or just think thinks like that don't happen to them.

Ironically they will build there again.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And they wonder why they can't get homeowner's policies .

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnsau, well said. And don't forget the air. It's really nice. I was up in the Malibu highlands a few years ago, looking over the LA basin, and the air was colored by layers of pollution. Darkest on the bottom, and like a layer cake, lighter as you went up. It was no wonder I coughed when I was there last. I don't know how the locals handle it. Air you can see on a clear day.
I steer clear of the LA basin. The smog has improved tremendously since the 70's but you can still see the air. You must go further South. Then it is glorious.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could see on the news that people had landscaping and retaining wall built from local round cobbles and boulders.

Several properties were along a flood channel terraced and built with them.

It is all sad but, they were right on top of an obvious long established flood zone.

People with the amount of money needed to build in those places tend to be oblivious of the past or just think thinks like that don't happen to them.

Ironically they will build there again.

You are correct. These things happen in the wealthy neighborhoods. For some reason Cal people with money are attracted to hazardous plots of land with Ocean views. And they rebuild again and again. fire mudslide fire mudslide There are plenty of areas in SoCAl that never burn and never flood. PS I live in one of those areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions