Joel Farmer Designed G1 Highbanker From U.S. Prospector

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drop riffles always seem to work well with little water flow and clean outs are always easy, especially with a stand to be able to put right back to work without having to reset the angles, but continually clearing that grizzly looks like a pain in the ...!
I'd replace the expanded with 1/8" thick UHMW and drill a bazzilion 1/4 to 3/8" holes to make a super slippery slick plate.
If I was to build one from scratch, I'd probably line the bottom run with the appropriate G.H. mats. and it would still be an easy, quick clean-up, and replace to run again.

Nice idea and design but always room for improvement :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

I wonder how often a cleanup would be required as the material should self-clean itself to some degree if the water flow is correct. As far as the GH mats, Joel claims the design captures all material very well so the mats would defeat the purpose of the design. Clean up looked pretty easy & fast. I seem to recall hearing that drop riffles like lots of water pressure to function properly. Need more input from those in the know on this.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder how often a cleanup would be required as the material should self-clean itself to some degree if the water flow is correct. As far as the GH mats, Joel claims the design captures all material very well so the mats would defeat the purpose of the design. Clean up looked pretty easy & fast. I seem to recall hearing that drop riffles like lots of water pressure to function properly. Need more input from those in the know on this.

Those drop,riffles will work fine with very mild water flow. Look at the material in the riffles once you have it running, the sands should be doing a gentle little dance. This active bed is what easily catches the very fine gold...which will just drop right down thru the wiggling sand.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Thanks for your input. I really like the simplicity of operation & super fast clean outs.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The video above is of the same unit with the older name... Self cleaning... Yup, the gold gets cleaned out also... right out the back. We found more gold in its tailings then there was left in the box. The company went out of business for a reason, now it's reappeared under a different name but nothing else has changed. Your question should be- Are there better units out there... Crap is as crap does, it gets flushed...

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Thanks Reed. Point taken. I am looking at the GH Raptor Flare for some highbanking production also. Just about sold on it I think.

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been happy with the results of my Ca sluice drop riffle, but it has only been used for running uniformly crushed hard rock gold ore. I used it in tandem with another small clean up sluice that is all ribbed mat. I ran this cleanup combo with a small 750 gph atwood bilge pump and set the sluices very flat - maybe 5 degrees pitch.
So, the drop riffle sluice added an additional recovery environment that seemed to work well in a very controlled setting.... for a very specific purpose.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy has one. We used it together a few times and decided we’d probably just stick to my GH mini. It worked alright, but we didn’t see anywhere near the amount of fines that we would normally get and having to manually paw the rocks off of the expanded metal was a waste of a set of hands. It doesn’t self-clear very well. It also seemed very expensive for what you get.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any kind of expanded metal or woven wire grizz holds up material

Bars and punch plate are best though bunch plate is best flattish and with a lot of water

A Keene or Proline banker will smoke that thing a Gold hog would be the Ritsy choice

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As in the fanciest...but, still pretty much works the same as the Proline or Keene.

In my opinion the Gold hog is better made and better priced

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like all the major brands for sluices and especially like the new innovations GH and others are doing with their mats. Unless I'm mistaken, GH still doesn't do a rolled edge on their sluices. I never understood why they don't. I like my GH multi-sluice very much and it's small enough not to need a rolled top edge... but those larger sluices? I'm not sure I've heard any complaints regarding GH sluices not having the rolled edge... but I think it's a tad goofy to not have them.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc uses pretty heavy aluminum I don't think its needed

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thicker guage aluminum doesn't need the rolled edge. The wife and I spent a week at the bear using the Keene sluice and also the gold hog. After day one the Keen got left in the truck. She ran 3 yards of material through the gold hog and loved it.
The wife still talks about your hospitality, goldwasher. In fact she has scheduled a week in August to come back up. She has been running her gold Cube and processing material leftover from 90 years ago from an old Oatman Arizona tailing pile. She would rather be in the Creek
How the fam and business
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread