Advice for new prospectors on vacation in Arizona

qmikep

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am new to prospecting/mining, my girlfriend and I are currently on vacation Arizona for the next month or so. We will be camping, hiking, rockhounding and hopefully prospecting. Our only experiance so far has been on the Yuba river in Northern California, and a bit of time at Lynx creek outside of Prescott last winter.

I was hopping to get some advice on other areas in the state that panning would be possible other than Lynx creek? Also, though its a bit outside the scope of discussion for the prospecting section, do any of you Arizona members have recomendations on cool rockhounding areas or ghost/ mining towns to visit?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are looking for running water to camp near and do some panning, you will be limited right now because of dry conditions. I don't know what specific placer creeks are flowing at the moment. My guess would be none.
However, you don't need to rely on running creeks to do what you are planning. If you have a way of taking enough water with you, you can set up camp anywhere that is open and prospective ground and pan for gold using your own water. This works great for short stints - say a few days.
You will have to manage the tailings mud and it will be messy, so it's up to you whether that sounds like something you want to try. I have used a 15 gallon plastic tub for this purpose. You would want to be able to dig out your tails and re-fill your panning tub a couple times while camping.... so 50 gallons just for panning would be nice.

... and as far as ghost towns, I think Swansea is pretty neat to drive to. There are a few, free, improved camps you can stay in while you're there. I don't know if rockhounding is permitted there.

Get a few books on rockhounding as well as placers of arizona and you will have lots of areas to try.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stop in Congress, AZ, and look up the Weaver Mining District club. I believe they still have a couple claims out by Rich Hill. There is open BLM land, but most of the gold bearing land is claimed. Have Fun! :skullflag:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Water in Aridzona is about as rare as 10 pound nuggets. Terry is correct that most gold bearing streams that might have water are under current mining claim status. If you got internet head over to My LandMatters have a look it will head you in the right direction to try and find a spot. What part of the state are you staying in? When will your vacation be over? My claim should have water next month and I will be there dredging if you are just wanting to pan with your wife I can probably accommodate you.

OP
OP
Q

qmikep

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.

Rockbar, I do have a pickup and have thought of bringing water to pan with I just don't have a way to move much more than 5 gallon buckrts and I'm looking around for other ideas on other containers to use. Thanks for the tip on Swansea, that sounds neat.

Okbasspro, I am familiar with myland matters, unfortunately I dont have a computer with me and my phone doesnt seem to want to cooperate with the mapping on the site. We are just wanting to pan but will only be in the state till the end of this month(at least that's the plan). Thank you very much for your offer though, it is very generous.

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as panning tubs... any multi-gallon storage tote with a good lid on it should work. You can also just pick up a concrete mixing tub and transfer the necessary water when you get to your spot.
You would be surprised at how many 5 gallon buckets of dirt you can go through if that's all you're doing during the day. It helps to have a catch pan in the bottom of your panning tub so that you can just hoist up the catch pan full of tails and dump them on occasion. Have a splash of clean water handy for your final black sands/gold reveal.
A step better would be to set up a recirculating mini high banker, but that is much more expensive and complicated. Better to start off with some gold 'ol panning and see how it goes. Be sure to pickup a couple snuffer bottles and a 1/4 inch classifier. Classify wet if at all possible.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys.

Rockbar, I do have a pickup and have thought of bringing water to pan with I just don't have a way to move much more than 5 gallon buckrts and I'm looking around for other ideas on other containers to use. Thanks for the tip on Swansea, that sounds neat.

Okbasspro, I am familiar with myland matters, unfortunately I dont have a computer with me and my phone doesnt seem to want to cooperate with the mapping on the site. We are just wanting to pan but will only be in the state till the end of this month(at least that's the plan). Thank you very much for your offer though, it is very generous.

What area you guys staying around?

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a spot the I am just crazy about here in Yavapai county, it is very near to Lynx creek but I always have wonderful luck there. If you would like, I would even be willing to take you guys there. Message me if your interested.

-Charlie

what

Oct 9, 2015
USA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to Q. You will find half of the experts in AZ there until Feb.

Have any specific suggestions regarding Quartzsite? (assuming that is the Q youre talking about...) Might be headed out there in the next couple weeks for a bit.

OP
OP
Q

qmikep

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What area you guys staying around?

We are down by Tombstone headed towards Bisbee for the next few days. After we will be headed back to Pheonix to see some friends than up towards Prescott .

OP
OP
Q

qmikep

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spot the I am just crazy about here in Yavapai county, it is very near to Lynx creek but I always have wonderful luck there. If you would like, I would even be willing to take you guys therbe. Message me if your interested.

-Charlie

Thanks Charlie, thats sounds great. We should be up in Prescott, by the end of this week or begining of next week.
I'll message you, thanks!

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I have a spot the I am just crazy about here in Yavapai county, it is very near to Lynx creek but I always have wonderful luck there. If you would like, I would even be willing to take you guys there. Message me if your interested.

-Charlie

Desert Gardens, Pow Wow, Road Runner Club guided field trips, Check it out. At desert gardens, stop by the Idaho Rock shop booth which is right by the big tan building and say hi to Tony. It is likely that he can tell you who knows where the trips are going and when.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karen and I are living in Stanton now on the LDMA property until April, there are tons of good claims around here, most of which belong to the various local clubs. Even AMRA has a claim out here. You can get water at the Mobile Station in Wickenburg if needed and we boondocked at Congress for a month over Christmas and just bought water at the city water plant. It was $1.00 for the first 50 gallons and it's great tasting, well worth the buck. We bought this 45 gallon bladder bag at Camping World and it paid for itself quickly. We use it to fill up the trailer along with our tubs for mining.
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Fresh...0&keywords=45gallon+water+storage+bladder+bag
IMG_20171219_145045_1.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent idea.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread