Google Earth VR... possible amazing tool for prospecting.

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Windows MR set from ebay for $200. You need a decent pc to get the most out of them. They frequently go on sale for $200 too on the Windows site.

I do a little video game development and that was my main reason for buying one. Google Earth VR is something you can get for free through steam. I had no idea what I was about to experience. You're essentially flying all around the globe in 3d. This isn't the crap 3d you see at theaters this is legit 2 screen based 3d that looks amazing.

What immediately came to mind though is that you can see the layout of any area you explore, while regular google earth by itself gives you a rough idea, this allows you to literally fly through the canyons. Maybe an area you thought would be perfect you can get a real idea if the slope is too steep or if there's decent road access etc. I have no idea how frequently it's updated though.

Highly recommend giving it a try, watch the youtube videos on it. Absolutely amazing.

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Crumbaker! This is without a doubt usefull for mining and just plane cool. I love maps and can spend hours looking at them, this might get me in trouble

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Thanks Crumbaker, I didn't know it existed. I'm a 3d artist/animator (non game development) and have had a Mixed Reality headset collecting dust next to my work PC. Now I cant wait to get to work tomorrow :P

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bit overwhelming at first. The controls are easy to get down, speaking of which don't fly around toward the earth, do it with the earth below you for it to work properly. I could spend days in this, makes you feel like superman ha.

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've spent the last couple hours in VR this IS AMAZING! Much better than google earth 3d view. One of the coolest experiences/tools ever!

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also love maps, I spend lots of time in google earth pouring over potential prospecting locations, and let me tell ya. This is another level entirely!

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With drone technology I can pre-plan a flight and have the drone fly the mission without any control by me. Come back home and land entirely by itself. I could see the area live in HD while the drone is flying. I can have the drone hover at any point and snap photos along its path. The second video I used Google Earth to plan the flight and the drone is following the terrain. BEST WATCH IN FULL SCREEN 4K...

Last edited:

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really awesome! Makes me wish i had a drone!

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drones will save you a LOT of shoe leather and hours of going the wrong way!

Russ that is true. With today's technology I can program a mission in Google Earth set the drone on its way and know it will return on its own without any input by me. So if I wanted to look at something on the other side of a ridge prior to walking or hiking up and over to few it. I have a mission today that the drone is going to fly that most people would not walk. Hoping to get a view of this area where a waterfall is located only when it rains. Its in gold country and who knows whats at the bottom at bedrock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions