Homemade sluice in Amazon w/ GoldHog Mats

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After pulling most of my equipment out of Tacacoma (only flood gold on surface, nothing on bedrock) I ventured to Yungas province of La Paz Bolivia to visit a mine I recently sold a 320C excavator to. These friends have scores of tailings, as a result of mediocre washplant that blows out almost all the fine gold. Upon arriving since my last visit they had moved their washplant, and I had some lumber brought in to make a quick sluice to test the GoldHog mats Ive had in storage for about a year. This mining area lies east of La Paz and is only about 2 hours away from my home, making it much more accessible by SUV (only 3 streams to cross, and my SUV is pretty low to the ground).

Heres a view of the valley
valley.jpg

Heres a view of the Mine from Above (flooded hole where they reached bedrock)
Mine from above.jpg

The washplant as seen from below
Washplant from below.jpg

Tailings the new locations
Tailings car.jpg

I went with 46.5cm mats, cutting down the 36 inch mats into 2 and joining them in sections. The idea to run two 3.6mt planks quickly fell apart once we tried unloading the boards off the dump truck. A hardwood named Achachira, the 46.5cm x 2inch x 3.6mt boards must have weighed about 200#s each. You can hit them with a sledgehammer and it wont make a dent. The idea being to add a sluice run below their existing plant (everyone thinks their runs are perfect, and refuse to adjust them) with a 1/2 screen to classify the material coming out of their run and into the new boxes.

Here you can see the lumber and first box installed.
Washplant from camp.jpg

The screen never made it (was left behind), so we adapted sheet of expanded metal and gutter tin as a classifier. Not the best setup but it worked decent (would have liked to have a higher pitch but we did everything by hand in the middle of the rain before lunch). Once it was setup we ate lunch (staple of rice, boiled potatoes and a piece of boiled chicken), and went to work as soon as the rain stopped. I was concerned that it would continue raining as the streams grow my car would have trouble crossing them back out. After lunch they ran one dump truck, and the makeshift classifier worked great.

Here you can see the classifer working and the waves over the Scrubber mat.

IMO they run too little water for their 80cm sluice. I pointed that out to them, but they are using water from a pond up above the mine as they dont have the funds for diesel to run the pump below the plant. The area they worked orginally had flooded and with the rainy season upon us its pointless to try to pump it out.

The clean out from the first truck was good. Scores of fine gold in every batea (wooden pan).
Fines.jpg

Here the gentleman panning it down in the batea

We ran into a hiccup on the second truck. The screen at the plant is a perforated sheet of iron with 2" holes. They are afraid that if they go down in size a lemon-size piece of gold will blow over. It results in 80% of the material the truck being run thru the sluices. And with the little water they use at the moment it clogged up in the bottom of the box. Taking a long stick to it resulted in a tsunami of material blowing out and running down their sluice and burying the sluice I installed. Like literally buried under 1' of material.

Heres the aftermath after digging it out by hand
Sluice after 2 runs.jpg

All in all it was a good experience, I am scheduled to return on Sunday when they have promised to build up a platform to put the new sluice run.

Interestingly enough, the first run had fines in it as seen in the picture. The later stuff out of the trucks had mercury covered fines. Not a single speck uncovered. Since the mines upstream are hardrock mines and crush their ore and use mercury to recover it we can only assume thats where the mercury covered gold is coming from.

I think with time and a little elbow grease adding on a good size run can help these guys increase their recovery rates. In the meantime Im waiting on my Raptor and Champion pump to arrive so that on the weekends I can head out there and spend some time just working the tailings.

Total recovered is maybe 1 gram, but considered we used an old 5 gallon bucket with Hydraulic fluid residue and did everything on the run it was a pretty good....

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information.
Looks like an easy way to feed the material. Does someone wash it in with a fire hose?

Can you post up some close up pictures of how this works?

2" screen is pretty big!! They must have already found some large pieces of gold to warrant running the rocks through the sluice.
What are they using for a nugget trap?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information.
Looks like an easy way to feed the material. Does someone wash it in with a fire hose?

Can you post up some close up pictures of how this works?

2" screen is pretty big!! They must have already found some large pieces of gold to warrant running the rocks through the sluice.
What are they using for a nugget trap?

Heres the guys washing material down. The dump truck dumps it , the guys use hoses to water it down, it goes to the vibrating screen with 2" holes and into the sluices. No nugget traps. None what so ever...

And OSHA would have a field day it they saw this. No PPE, a 40ft+ drop etc....

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Aescal, I have tried the Gold Hog matting and then tried the Vortex Dream Mat and found it held onto the much finer gold all the way down to foil gold that has always just floated out of my sluice. I hope you give it a try. Here's a video from an Australian Highbanker Manufacturer who switched from Gold Hog matt to Vortex Dream Matt:www.youtube.com/watch?v=McK_UMsOUbE

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aescal, thank you for sharing your story, please keep posting, starving for reality, you will likely do well with gh mats, they have been Proven, its about tweaking your setup to run them

oldbones

Feb 20, 2017
North California
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon, GGT Nugget, Gold n Sand Hand Dredge, Pans and classifiers.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, please keep this thread updated. The pictures and videos are great.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the guys washing material down. The dump truck dumps it , the guys use hoses to water it down, it goes to the vibrating screen with 2" holes and into the sluices. No nugget traps. None what so ever...

Thanks! That's kind of the way I figured it would work. Probably not the most efficient since it probably overloads the sluice box routinely.
Looks like the operation would benefit from more water, but you can only do what you can afford to.

How about a shot of their box when it's empty? I'd like to see the riffles/screen/matting that they are confident with?

Actually nuggets larger than 3/4" would be pretty easily recovered if they spread the oversized gravel around and detected it at the end of the day.
Have they actually found some impressive nuggets so far?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the shaker screen should regulate feed.

I would for sure talk them into a nugget trap and run the first sluice with a 3/8 to 1" undercurrent

My opinion is 1 inch max in the slurry with a good pre wash is about the best compromise for a small to medium op.

If I was running two inch slurry I would definitely have a two stage box as the initial sluice.

You can run some two inch bar in the second sluice at the end for a nugget trap also.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the water over the scrubber is way to shallow for that speed and is causing major unwanted turbulence.

More water would help as you mentioned.

What kind of recovery set up is in the sluice run that is fed directly by the shaker?

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you know why we require a video to speck out most commercial ops.
A picture is worth 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000
We get emails ALL THE TIME with ops sending "estimated specks" about sluice size, width, approx gph, etc, but until you ACTUALLY SEE... water running through the sluice,
it's almost impossible to speck out properly. Again, we deal with this on a daily basis with over 25 countries. Personally... now that I SEE the system, I would have used a different config and possibly run
different matting configs in each sluice, with a varying pitch in each one. i.e. --- each sluice would have a different job focused on different size gold. Commercial ops are a different game all together
as most run 10 - 12 hour shifts and you really have to worry about high volume, IMPACTION, and long term exchange.
Doc
Example:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much gold are they getting per truck?

OP
OP
A

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im back from a trip to a copper mine and refinery due SW of La Paz to analyze copper ore milling. My friends at the mine in Palca have finished placing the sluice run, and took my advice on upping the water input (you can see the water volume has increased in the pics). They have asked me for an additional 2 meters of moss, so today Ill work on buying the angle iron and having it welded to make riffle bars. In total there will be 5 meters/ 16.5 feet of GH mats, and 3ish meters of moss with riffle bars. I do have a container coming out of Miami with 10 sheets of expanded metal, but that wont be here for about 2 months.

The configuration they are using right now yields them about 1 gram per truck, running 10 trucks per hour (they only have one truck), running 2 x 10hr shifts. So ballpark 160-200grams per day..(which is why I cant understand how they are 3 months late on payments for the excavator:BangHead:)

Im hoping this additional setup will increase that yield. Heres the pics to look at, Ill go back in Tuesday at 5am and stay the whole day. Will post more pics and vids...

Thanks for looking:hello:

modsluice.jpeg

modsluice2.jpeg

modsluice3.jpeg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes so, like a gram for 8 to 10 yards or more....oof!?

I know there's a feed hopper,. Are they stockpiling pay at the feed area or like actually going truck by truck..I guess you did say ten an hour.

So I guess there's no where to stage pay......

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back from the mine late last night. Kinda disappointed that my instructions didn't come across clear enough. "Clean the mats out TWO times per day". Somehow that turned into "Clean the mats out EVERY two days" down the grapevine. Oh well. Did a semi clean out once I was there. Filled a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 full, but most of the material came out of the first 4 feet of box under the screen, where I put riffle bars over moss. A lot of silt in the mix, which is actually fun to watch (not clean) since the smaller specks of gold sit on top of the muck when we dumped the big red bucket into the 5 gallon one. They are stockpiling that material to pan out once per week.

Here we have cut the water and getting ready to pull the mats

tophalf.jpeg

Using a laundry clothes bucket to clean the mats ( I would like to have a 55gallon barrel cut sideways with legs welded on and a nice rubber spray on coating for the future)

cleaningmats.jpeg

Here you can see the new config we set up to create a little more turbulence in the run as the angle is a little steeper than I would like.

newconfig.jpeg

I was kinda shocked to learn that they only plan to clean out their sluice every quincena, 15 days. During my 6 hours there I watched them run approximately 35 trucks worth of material. I walked back to where they are loading and it seems Antonio, the excavator operator, is carefully sorting out the rocks larger than say a medium size yoga ball. No wonder it was taking so long. I spoke to the guys about cleaning their run out (expanded metal over moss) every three days and just stockpiling the clean out to pan together. During a break I had them cut the water and pointed out the moss impacted with material, explaining that all the new material they feed is just gliding over the expanded metal and has no where to settle. Hopefully they took it to heart.

Heres lunch for day, rice potatoes a sliced tomato and boiled meat. The odd times I do stay at mine for a week or two I end up losing 5-10 pounds. The Mrs. doesnt complain about that or the gold I bring back, only the time that Im gone....

lunch.jpeg

Later on before leaving we had a sit down to talk about the late payments and the option of them giving me a stretch of riverbank 1/2 klick downstream to work (I like this idea because Id pay 20% in royalties but end up keeping that as payment for the excavator). Cigarettes, coca leaves, and swigs of rubbing alcohol as we discussed business

challa.jpg

Then it was time to leave. The fog had really settled in by 4pm and I had to pick up the Mrs. from her english classes at 9pm, which would give me to get home and S,S & S.

carinfog.jpeg

I went in with my mechanics brother who wanted to see the land for himself and decide whether or not to bring in his backhoe to help out. He had never been back this way and took some incredible video with my phone. Ill post them later on as I upload them but here the trip back as we dodge cars and motorcycles on the mountain road in heavy fog and drizzle.

Thanks for looking guys and Ill get more stuff posted by Tuesday when I wanna head back. I did have a Goldhog Raptor ordered but somehow my freight forwarded shipped out a transmission instead, so they are resending it air freight and I hope to have it by the time I head back in.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swigs of rubbing alcohol??

To activate the leaves or for like drinking???

They aren't moving much material daily they should do a clean out daily.

The moss should clean on its own it still sounds like too little water.

Or they have shut down more than once and not told you, I imagine they shut down for the night.

So, they fire up with compacted moss and it stays that way...more of a factor than amount of material fed I'd wager.

So again how much dirt per truck? As in yards per load. Just curious.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Aescal. Your partners are working very quickly if they are loading/hauling/dumping 10 truck loads an hour with a single truck!
100 yards an hour through a single sluice box probably swells that moss up pretty quick.
Theoretically there is some hog mat that you can run under expanded steel that stays clean and catches the fine gold.
Have you done a cleanup on just the last couple feet of box?

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next trip up ,I would test the tailings, I enjoy seeing and reading of your venture, you mentioned they are behind on payments by three months, I am curious of the overhead of the operation, anywhere close to 160grams a day should be feasible,and profitable with 1excavator, and 1 truck,is there a chance that there's a another party that sees the cleanouts before you or what's reported,not implying the worst, just its gold, and we know what that does given the opportunity

OP
OP
A

aescal

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys... picture time..

Ive been running around with several different projects and haven't had time to come on let alone breath.... Tantalum mines in Santa Cruz, Copper in Oruro, and selling equipment left and right (rains finally stopped end of April and water has receded).

I worked out a deal with the coop that owes me now 9 months on the 320c excavator I sold them. Every 2 weeks I go in and observe the clean out and take 10% until they are paid off. And they gave me access to 250.000 sq meters (60 acres) about 1000ft downstream for my own operation. Unfortunately this was after I sold my last 2 excavators (which I now regret). So im in the process of looking for a couple here as I have all the other equipment to run my own midsize op (2 water pumps, generator, 6cu yard wheel loader, several backhoes, etc).

My little sluice box and the end of the run gets no love or attention and Ive kinda put it off for now. So Im gonna share some pics of my last trip in.

So the guys are digging in a different spot as the spring/summer rains have completed filled in the hole where they reached bedrock before

As we waited for them to finish their last trucks before the cleanout we setup the GoldHog Raptor that finally arrived. I was so excited to be able to set it up. The Champion water pump got stuck in customs (along with everything else in the container) for 3 months!

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-31 at 6.04.29 PM.jpeg

Heres the Raptor in action (set it kinda steep as we first ran tailings and saw it would compact the mats, lots of clay)

Not too happy with what was in the tailings (might have been overburden, but 400 shovel fulls only netted about 30 tiny specs, no pickers) I had them bring one cubic yard in my backhoe (renting it out to them). That was much better. You cant see from the pic (or maybe you can, it was bright) but it came in at .25 grams. Awesome considering they are running 14yd trucks.

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-31 at 6.04.27 PM.jpeg

So then we did watched the clean out. They cut the water down and proceeded to pick off most of the big rocks and shovel the material back up the mats, damming it up occasionally.

After about 3 hours for a 40ft long run, they ended up with this:

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-04 at 9.11.43 AM.jpeg

The mats get dragged off and washed/beat to heck and back/ cleaned in make shift pond.

Heres where my phone battery died and I didnt get anymore pics or video.

Total for 4 days worth of work (really only maybe 3 days because the first day started at 2pm and they stopped at sundown)..

198grams.

Ive gotta run into tomorrow and this time Im taking my portable charger......

Until I find an excavator I was looking into setting up a land dredge... Ive several of these here ex-mil water pumps that came in the container my my expanded metal and champion water pump and generator.

Water pump.jpg

These guys are rated for 1000gpm... 2x 4" and 1x 6" suction and 2x 4" and 1x 6" discharge. Really got them to dewater the hole I plan on digging on that claim they passed along to me..

Im thinking thats more than enough volume to run an 8" dredge. Thoughts???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions