Hazards in the Forest

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hadn’t dawned me till I was finished with my hike today.
Be especially careful with your dogs when hiking in areas known for drug cultivation.
No telling what is in the localized storm water runoff. There are some very lethal poisons being used in connection with these commercial operations. When they get busted they leave behind everything and the USFS does not budget to clean up the chemicals.
The water bottle along the deer trail cut in half and full of discolored water started me thinking, especially when I had to yell at my dog not to drink it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NorCal7

Dec 19, 2017
Eastbay
Detector(s) used
Minelab Goldmonster 1000, Bazooka Goldtrap, Keene A52, Crevicing
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great point IMAUDIGGER, sickening the disregard for nature and animal life these guys have. They are doing way more long-lasting damage than any 4-inch dredge could ever do.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always take my dog with me on the weekends and you never know where I will end up going.
Decided to check out a couple draws near a recent grow.
I knew there might be some bad stuff laying around because they taint bait with poison to kill the deer and other animals. I walked right into an old camp and spent 10 minutes looking around. I was watching my dog like a hawk. Making him lay down while I looked. I turned around and he was eating on a slab of meat that was buried in a garbage bag.

The thought crossed my mind that it might be poisoned or something that died from poisoning.

I rushed down the hillside and hauled ass back to town.
A shot glass of hydrogen peroxide and my dog was wrenching within 10 minutes.
He had all kinds of different food inside him that I didn’t feed him.
Aside from the meat, there was some red potatoes that he must have found near this camp.

Dam these ba$turds F’N up our woods!

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this last summer, a half dozen or so buzzards and a couple of ravens floated by me belly up.
the area I'm in doesn't worry me about the weed, it's the damn tweakers. have smelled them cooking while I was hiking, not a good feeling.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this last summer, a half dozen or so buzzards and a couple of ravens floated by me belly up.
the area I'm in doesn't worry me about the weed, it's the damn tweakers. have smelled them cooking while I was hiking, not a good feeling.

Luckily my dog doesn’t seem to have gotten poisoned.
He will be on a short leash next time.

I wouldn’t want to drink any of the water I see running into the draws based on what I saw this weekend.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe you need to upgrade your dog. :laughing7:

I wonder if you can get a mini machine gun as an option??

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you need to upgrade your dog. :laughing7:
I wonder if you can get a mini machine gun as an option??

Wouldn't want anything like that, but a tweaker dog would be nice to sic on them if encountered.
The weather is so nice here that they are probably more than likely prepping the fields for the next season.

I say "fields" because these grows were extensive...5 acres of ground contaminated.
Chemicals and trash laying around everywhere
I didn't come close to exploring half of it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that's sickening!

When we first moved way out here, we'd sometimes smell a strong chemical-ish smell. Would call it in. Before long, no more smell, but then a few months later, some folks with a mobile drug lab were arrested in a neighboring county.

I wish the gov't would hunker down and get REAL serious with this war on drugs. Sad thing is, who knows how many folks in high places are benefiting from drugs, whether by getting money-under-the-table, or from being an actual user!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing is to call and complain. It kinda forces the issue.

Similar to the local take on illegal NFA weapons. The local detective wants to know if one is present, but he's not going to do anything unless it becomes a problem. If it does become a problem, then he's going to come after you, and it won't be pretty!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The police , weither its federal or local are scared to get involved with these gangs / drugs . The police know they are heavily armed and are just waiting for some "noisy" person to come snooping into "their" drug camp to end up in a fire fight!

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The police , weither its federal or local are scared to get involved with these gangs / drugs . The police know they are heavily armed and are just waiting for some "noisy" person to come snooping into "their" drug camp to end up in a fire fight!

No they busted the grow...CA Fish and Wildlife and USFS agents were involved in the bust (Maybe even US Fish and Wildlife). But they walked right past all of the chemicals and left after chopping the plants down. Apparently cleaning up toxic chemicals or making the forest safe is not part of their job description.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions