Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Folks,

Posting this in the correct? forum this time
I have been gold panning here in Scotland UK for 20 yrs, not a lot of gold here but still fun, I am looking to try panning in the USA and will spend three weeks in September (flights are cheaper then) I am looking for suggestions on a good place to go as I won't have the luxury of being able to travel around due to limited time.
I guess Alaska will be the number one location? but I would rather be in a more interesting area, Alaska looks too much like Scotland!
This trip is a prospecting trip as I would like to be able to spend a few months in the US panning for gold, if it could pay for my keep I could return and do it all again.
I have good panning experience in Scottish rivers but it is restrictive here, you always need the landowners permission in any country of course but in Scotland/UK finding a land owner is very very difficult, so it has problems...and any gold (or minerals automatically belong to the Queen...even if found in your garden you own !!!!)
I had thought of approaching some of the smaller alluvial mining businesses with a view to working for a few days for the ability to pan for a few days, I don't need paid.
My background is hydrology and engineering with a research degree and real practical experience so I hope I could be of some use??

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Upvote 0

Hi-Sluicer

Greenie
Sep 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come to california. The gold is legendary here. Im on the central coast in pismo beach theres good color about an hour away. If you google navajo flats campground. Your in the center of a gold bearing area on a map. Best of luck ya scot. Im irish my family came over in the 1800s

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a HUGE abundance of federal lands open for prospecting in all of the western U.S. This is the best site available that details where there are current claims so knowing that, many on this forum, myself included, begin their prospecting near those claims. Welcome to Land Matters. Make yourself familiar with the site and of course, ask more specific questions about areas of interest. Here is an excellent site (by a forum member) specific to Colorado that can get you started should you choose to go there. http://findinggoldincolorado.com/. There is a small learning curve as to what is and is not legal in different areas but, again, ask questions.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold in Alaska is difficult for the tourist panner. Much of the land is very remote and the gold tends to be fine and mixed with a LOT of gravel. There are only a couple public panning areas and everything else of real value is claimed.
California is your best bet. You will still have to deal with accessing a claimed area but you could join a club. This will give you access and advice.

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you to all,

California does sound very tempting, I had thought Alaska would be difficult for me to move around in such a short time.
I find Americans to be open minded and welcoming, you guys don't suffer the historic land abuses here in the UK (Scotland in particular) where something like 3% own 99% of the land. I am appreciative of the generosity of help and advice, thank you all

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks,

you are lucky your ancestors left Ireland for the USA, mine must have been too lazy or stupid. Ireland can be seen from the lower west coast of Scotland :)
I am mainly worried about panning in some river that belongs to someone, I wouldn't like that to happen.

Hi-Sluicer

Greenie
Sep 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha thanks i feel lucky the weather on the central coast in california is something special its always 65-70 degrees. Most of the claim owners and clubs here are nice and wont get mad if you are on their land they will just wanna talk about gold. My club is the central coast gold prospectors and our club is free to join we have new claims and old claims and theyre all easy to get to. One spot we just drive up to it and dig. That one drawback is having to haul in your own water from one of the nearby springs or haul your dirt out and run it at home or campground.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum and America when you get here! The members on this forum will give you good advise and get you on the right path. My family immigrated from Aberdeen, Scotland to Aberdeen, Washington in the late 1800's. You are more than welcome here.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on over, the California good folks there who will help you to the very best of their abilities.

I'm an American Scot, Father's side came from Edinburgh in 1650, and Mother's side came from Edinburgh in 1690.

I'm red headed...... Never worn a kilt!

Hi-Sluicer

Greenie
Sep 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what we learned here the scots cared to much about their lands to leave they weren't lazy or stupid. They were fighting off the british most of the time. They weren't looking east to move they were looking south to march. Baddasses if you ask me

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to all for your inspiring comments, I will be heading out to California around August.
Glad I found this forum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions