East Fork to be closing down mining soon

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I was on Jim Rocha's Educational Blog " Bedrock Dreams" just now which was scheduled to shut down at the end of 2017 and thanks to some faithful contributors it's still up with new material. When you go to his newly designed Edusite page, at the very bottom is his latest blog entitled "More Not-So-Good New for California Miners(And A Decent Rant). This piece deals solely with the recent news that the Greens are going to shut down ANY form of mining/gold prospecting at the East Fork San Gabriel in the near future. Now we thought it was already done when the former president signed the National Monument into being back in Oct.14th,2014. But according to Clay the funding just wasn't there so everybody kept sluicing away and whistling a happy tune. I was wondering when the other shoe was going to drop. Jim's predicting that Greens are hoping to make it into some kind of Nature Reserve/Preserve,whatever.

I type in Bedrock Dreams Blog in google and it came right up and Jim's planning on putting the previous ten years of miners tutorials hopefully soon. Each month had multiple tutorials on not only how to mine but he would tell you his past go to spots (this smart miner moved out of California 27 years ago). Places I had NEVER heard of. But for us in the Los Angeles area we now have to scramble to find new areas (yeah right). If gas was the price like it is in the rest of the US we could put in the 2 hour drive to the Freemont Valley and work the hills below Randsburg or on the otherside where you have the El Paso Mountains for good gold. But less a drive I dunno where you would go for good gold (pennyanty color can be had anywhere around LA-so what). Us boys on the west side (Ventura County+Santa Clarita area) have our places to get color but some aggresive guys have raveged this one area recently that had the only small nuggets to be had. But hey that's why they call us prospectors right?

Sorry for the rant,just bummed about this latest turn of events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was on Jim Rocha's Educational Blog " Bedrock Dreams" just now which was scheduled to shut down at the end of 2017 and thanks to some faithful contributors it's still up with new material. When you go to his newly designed Edusite page, at the very bottom is his latest blog entitled "More Not-So-Good New for California Miners(And A Decent Rant). This piece deals solely with the recent news that the Greens are going to shut down ANY form of mining/gold prospecting at the East Fork San Gabriel in the near future. Now we thought it was already done when the former president signed the National Monument into being back in Oct.14th,2014. But according to Clay the funding just wasn't there so everybody kept sluicing away and whistling a happy tune. I was wondering when the other shoe was going to drop. Jim's predicting that Greens are hoping to make it into some kind of Nature Reserve/Preserve,whatever.

I type in Bedrock Dreams Blog in google and it came right up and Jim's planning on putting the previous ten years of miners tutorials hopefully soon. Each month had multiple tutorials on not only how to mine but he would tell you his past go to spots (this smart miner moved out of California 27 years ago). Places I had NEVER heard of. But for us in the Los Angeles area we now have to scramble to find new areas (yeah right). If gas was the price like it is in the rest of the US we could put in the 2 hour drive to the Freemont Valley and work the hills below Randsburg or on the otherside where you have the El Paso Mountains for good gold. But less a drive I dunno where you would go for good gold (pennyanty color can be had anywhere around LA-so what). Us boys on the west side (Ventura County+Santa Clarita area) have our places to get color but some aggresive guys have raveged this one area recently that had the only small nuggets to be had. But hey that's why they call us prospectors right?

Sorry for the rant,just bummed about this latest turn of events.

I enjoy his blog greatly. I consider him a mentor of sorts! (I'm the guys he wrote about a couple times recently finding first nuggets)

Really SUCKS about East Fork. Though if you are willing to hike in a couple miles I doubt they will come in after you. The east fork regulars who are in the "East Fork gold prospectors" facebook group wrote letters, online petitions and some members attended the public meetings (and were removed) protesting the so called "east fork improvement project".

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put in a parking lot, turn the river into an amusement park and call it "sustainable recreation"
San Gabriel River Confluence with Cattle Canyon Improvements Project

FS lying to prospectors says its illegal mining per the Watershed Withdrawal Act. of May 20, 1928
https://www.prlog.org/11708372-us-f...o-prospectors-non-responsive-to-citizens.html

“Lands in Angeles National Forest were withdrawn from mineral entry in 1928…to conserve water resources and to encourage reforestation of the watershed(Public Law No. 578, Sec. 4135 – 70th Congress); withdrawn lands within the wilderness study area, mainly on the west side,…” “The law does not prohibit prospecting and allows entry to proven ore deposits but effectively discourages complex exploration methods.”

[From Geological Survey Bulletin 1506-E “Economic Appraisal, Cucamonga, Wilderness”,
by Nicholas T. Zilka and Steven W. Schmauch, U.S. Bureau of Mines, page 87.]
(the bottom of page 104 of the PDF page counter)
USGS report https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1506a-e/report.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
You know what's interesting in spite of the 1928 Watershed Act,when the Great Depression hit my Grandfather had to close his fishing and hunting supply store and headed up to the East Fork. He said there we hundreds of men panning all along it elbow to elbow.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems Jim put that article into the subscription only portion of his blog.

I did manage to read the article before he moved it and curiously he only references what a friend told him. It would be nice if someone could share any funded government plans to stop prospecting there. Greenies are always planning things but they can not change the status of government lands. Until I see a funded government plan to stop prospecting on East Fork I'm calling B.S. and speculation on this rumor.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
S

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Thanks Clay for clearing the air on this. They need to address the problem at hand of the families who pollute the area with their trash. Seen it first hand during the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread