Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Note:

Just made another donation to mylandmatters.org

Question:

If a government lot shows up in the mylandmatters database but does not show up in the Earthpoint Townships database which one is correct?

A section I'm working on in Earthpoint Townships has aliquot parts shown whereas mylandmatters.org has it shown as Government Lot 1.

I knew this answer a couple months ago but like a dummy I didn't write down the answer like I do almost every time.

Any help appreciated.

(mylandmatters.org is close to their goal. Let's help them reach it. They are invaluable!!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All of this topic can be a tough issue because of the confusion of both "Administration or disposal of the public domain" that is outlined in a number of sections of "Code".
What is being "Located" is a important question and will be corrected by the BLM.

I don’t think the BLM will correct Assembler.

There’s nothing on the forms filed indicating what is being located except the fact it is either placer or lode.

Perhaps if the BLM had an unlimited budget and manpower they could pursue things further but I don’t think what you’re describing is happening anywhere.

I think we have resolved the initial intent of this thread.

If you want to get so deep into surveys my suggestion is to start a new thread.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don’t think the BLM will correct Assembler.

There’s nothing on the forms filed indicating what is being located except the fact it is either placer or lode.

Perhaps if the BLM had an unlimited budget and manpower they could pursue things further but I don’t think what you’re describing is happening anywhere.

I think we have resolved the initial intent of this thread.

If you want to get so deep into surveys my suggestion is to start a new thread.
The fact that upon acceptance of the survey by the director, BLM, it may be termed officially established or completed. Accordingly it does not attain official or legal status until thus completed.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The fact that upon acceptance of the survey by the director, BLM, it may be termed officially established or completed. Accordingly it does not attain official or legal status until thus completed.

Sounds good.

Let’s leave it at that.

I’m out.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good.

Let’s leave it at that.

I’m out.
This is not posted because it sounds good. One can read this type of information on BLM's own web pages or better yet go to the library.
Thanks again for the thread Rail Dawg.
Thank you everyone for your input posts.

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I don't describe a placer claim as a Gov. lot (36.08)
can I just describe it as 18 acres of the E1/2 of the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4
the other half is barren hill side non-mineral, no other contiguous claims, can easily be found on the ground.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if I don't describe a placer claim as a Gov. lot (36.08)
can I just describe it as 18 acres of the E1/2 of the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4
the other half is barren hill side non-mineral, no other contiguous claims, can easily be found on the ground.

No you can't.
Again:

ALIQUOT – A process of dividing an area such that the results contain an exact number of times in another; a part of a measurement that divides the measurement without a remainder. Divisions based on the mid-points of linear measurement of the opposing lines and the intersection of the lines connecting these mid-points.

ALIQUOT PART – An area that is a legal subdivision of a section by division into halves or fourths ad infinitum; except lots.

LOT – A legal subdivision of a section that is not described as an aliquot part; without aliquot characteristics; the lot is generally designated by a numerical value, e.g., lot 2.

A lot is never described as E1/2 of the SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4 because it is not an aliquot part. It is a Lot.

What you are describing would be like calling your dog a cat and hoping someone who has never met you will believe the dog is actually a cat because you call it that. Ask Rail Dawg what happens when you call a Lot an aliquot in your location notice. The BLM may take a while but eventually you will get the notice to amend your location or have it closed.

Don't be scared of metes and bounds. The vast majority of claims currently and historically are located by metes and bounds. Miners have been doing it that way for more than 2,000 years. Even the slowest miner in 1880 still had to make his claim location by metes and bounds. It is possible to learn this stuff. If you can learn to use a compass and draw a rectangle you can locate a metes and bounds claim.

Even if you aren't locating a claim you need to learn metes and bounds to find ground open to location. Understanding metes and bounds is just as important a skill to a serious prospector as learning to pan.

Heavy Pans

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Metes-and -bounds surveys" are required to define the boundaries of irregular tracts which are nonconformable to legal subdivisions.

Resulting unit of subdivision consequent upon the practical application of surveying theory.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do all "Government lots" conform to the "Public Rectangular Surveying System"?

If not can this be not a "Government lot"?........LOL.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This one needs to know what the previous one means by conform.

Mike
The present one as of this.
Now Mike may be on to a very good question here. Thanks for asking deinorter.

This one would like to point out the following to start with:
Correspondence in form manner, or use; agreement; harmony; congruity. Also the following Act:
Conformity Act, or Statute term used to designate Act June 1, 1872, c. 255, section 5.......the adoption of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, 28 USCA. the Conformity Act is no longer effective.

Others can also add to this. Depending on the "Context" being used such as now existing; at hand; relating to the present time; considered with reference to the present time.

P.S. Nature's minerals do not "Conform" this way in reference to the "Public Rectangular Survey System". Any "Mineral Survey" shall "Document this" at the time of the "Survey".

Do all "Government lots" conform to the "Public Rectangular Surveying System"?

If not can this be not a "Government lot"?........LOL.
The word "This" is a play on both of the terms used here as both are used in the same "Context". Mike pointed this out. Thanks.
Assembler

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread