Gold Rush, Bearing Sea Gold etc...

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

Does anyone else share my very low opinion of these reality shows? I don't mean to rattle anyone's cage if your a fan. If you like them great, more power to ya but I just cant bring myself to watch these things for more than a few minutes. It's the fact that some of these guys spend so freakin much on equipment to go deeper or further to get more gold that your always hearing insane comments like "damn, if I don't get 1000 ounces this season I'm ruined" etc etc etc... Some of them are so freakin out of shape they can't walk a circle around their backhoe without running out of breath and all the damn Drama!!! Oh no, this is broken, Oh no that is broken blah blah blah. I cant seem to get anything buy annoyed watching them. I'll take a dry washer, metal detector, sluice box, pan and a shovel, they can keep the drama and the high blood pressure.

-Charlie

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think most of us who understand the tech and effort of mining, had unrealistic expectations of what this new Gold Rush mining show would be when it first came out. I know I was extremely critical of the show and found it hard to watch. You have to keep in mind that all of the Gold Shows are being marketed to the 95% of the Country who know nothing about mining. It's just entertainment.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
I LOVE the show. I normally turn on my TV, jump over to DVR saves, place my dinner on a TV Tray, and start the show! Yea, just like the other shows I enjoy - I know a lot of it is "made up" but darn I do enjoy watching. I DVR Gold Rush, the Curse of Oak Island, etc. Can't help it - I just enjoy seeing what happens. Now, IF I didn't have a DVR to fast forward - I don't think I could handle a full 60 minutes. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything on TV anymore without record FF , rewind & Pause.

Sadly Comcast Has gone Backwards & got rid of Frame per Frame & Slow Motion. :(
I used to like frame Per Frame in Movies. when someone got their head chopped off Etc.

Last edited:

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I catch them sometimes and get minute glints of real knowledge and ideas which is good. But the fake drama is too much for me. A show about a successful mine sans drama we would all love.....maybe some information we can actually use. I do think devils canyon is the best one but they dont focus on the gold.......more just the hardships.....and those guys are so scared of bears i have to laugh a little. I guess thats what they think people want......maybe most do.......i blame the status quo

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"As the Trommel Turns." :laughing7:

Perfect Terry! :headbang:

I've been watching and enjoying Gold Rush faithfully since season one. I stopped watching Gold Rush this season after the premire. Didn't do it on purpose and never noticed I was not following either. Pretty sure it wasn't anything I did. :icon_scratch: Truthfully, when I saw Parker wearing war paint on the previews...yeah...I think THAT was the moment I lost interest.

If it helps, real miners don't invite camera crews to the location they mine. Just saying

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Canyon!? Really? Who starts their mining season in the mountains just weeks before thing are going to start freezing? From the very first show you could see fall was setting in when they started into the canyon with the trees starting to turn.. Even though it was supposedly self filmed the drama was pre-written in with the late start to the mining. Why do you think it only lasted maybe six weeks. Even in the mountains in BC Canada the season is longer than that.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Canyon!? Really? Who starts their mining season in the mountains just weeks before thing are going to start freezing? From the very first show you could see fall was setting in when they started into the canyon with the trees starting to turn.. Even though it was supposedly self filmed the drama was pre-written in with the late start to the mining. Why do you think it only lasted maybe six weeks. Even in the mountains in BC Canada the season is longer than that.

Yea of all of them, it's one of the most produced and faked as far as the "reality" aspect

you would think production would know not to do drone over flights showing roads and mined areas ...while claiming the actors hiked in miles

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well people at where I work that know I started this hobby ask me if that's what I'm trying to do. I have good laugh and tell them to do the math. Most people don't look past the drama or the ounces they recover. I figured they don't make as much as we would think from gold but more from starring in the series. I don't really watch shows if I do it's while doing my own research for mining. Just adding my two cents

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work in mining and gold rush or the white water show has been my go to when I want to take a nap on the couch on my days off. Real mining is really boring and not good for TV.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread