First Post/Silvery Dust

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,

This is my first post on this site. I found it while looking online for the answer to a gold panning question.

I am located in Western Massachusetts, I have been gold panning for a year now and have twice come across a substance that I cannot identify.

When dry it is a super fine silvery powder. When it is wet it looks like a paste. It is dense, it settles under the black sand and garnets in my pan. I found the material in clay deposits located in bedrock cracks that I broke open.

The spot I found it is on the bank of the Connecticut river, which has significant industrial pollutants. (From the past, its getting cleaner.)

I also found six grains of gold and a small piece of lead with the material.

I have panned in some of the other rivers in the area, and found the same stuff in another, also polluted river, but in smaller concentration than what I found on the Connecticut.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
IMG_20180203_102147.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_095025.jpg
    IMG_20180203_095025.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like it's tin. Could also be zircon. The tin could be industrial waste or a natural deposit.

Look it over closely with a 10 power loupe. If the particles look like pyramids or triangles it's probably zircon.

Heavy Pans :laughing7:

G

ghostminer

Might be some type of chemical waste or fertilizer runoff?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found similar stuff before. Its heavy so it pans out with the gold and black sands. I looked at it with a lens and it seemed to be white/clear crystals

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead acts this same way,its heavy and sticky when wet, do not injest

OP
OP
R

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will be getting a microscope to try and get a closer look at my sample.

Hopefully it's not toxic otherworldly fertilizer runoff. ;)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Better view..

IMG_20180203_102147-2.jpg

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome Fellow Massachusetts Prospector to TNET. I cannot guess what your material may be because I have not encountered it in any of the spots we go to in Mass. on the East slopes of the Berkshires. The is a thread in Panning for Gold Ma/NH/VT where you may want to repost to see if anyone else has found similar material. You also may want to indicate a general area (Millers, Deerfield, Westfield , other River) where you are finding it.

Examination under magnification May yield some answers .

Good luck

OP
OP
R

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've found this material in both the Green River and the Connecticut River in the Greenfield area.

I've got a microscope coming in the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll be able to post a close up pic that might help.

I cleaned the sample up a bit... But it still doesn't photograph very well with my phone camera.
IMG_20180204_163133.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the pictures the particles certainly appear to be rounded/smoothed metal particles and may be some native alloy of nickel and iron or of nickel and copper deposited by erosive glacial activity. Both are described in color appearance as they appear in the pictures. Google around for the native forms of the alloys as I did and you will find some interesting results including deposits just north of you in Canada as well as New England. Here are some links I found. https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1223/report.pdf
http://rruff.info/doclib/cm/vol6/CM6_307.pdf

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up galena, i know it was in pa but not sure about your area. lead silver based mineral, so usually pretty heavy.

OP
OP
R

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely read through that.
Mindat.org says Galena has been mined in the area in the past, but what I see on Google images doesn't look much like what I'm seeing. I've never seen real Galena before though.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it could be gold covered in mercury.

gravelsucker

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galena, also called lead glance, is the natural mineral form of lead(II) sulfide. It is the most important ore of lead and an important source of silver.Galena is one of the most abundant and widely distributed sulfide minerals. It crystallizes in the cubic crystal system often showing octahedral forms. It is often associated with the minerals sphalerite, calcite and fluorite.

MP is approximately 2037 F

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe from the new pics what you are finding may be Marcasite an Iron Sulfide which I have found in varying quantities in streams just north of you.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dunno but COOL pics!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never seen that one before. those pieces circled in read def look like metal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread