Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Questioning the Spanish and old timers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    Minelab GM1000 White's GMZ White's Spectrum XLT
    303
    227 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    From all that I have read, they landed in Florida intentionally to find the fountain of youth. But that being said, I feel most of what I have read from our history scholars is a lie...so who knows
    audigger53 likes this.

  2. #17

    Nov 2013
    69
    150 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_curious View Post
    ..... I feel most of what I have read from our history scholars is a lie....
    really? why do you think it's a lie?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and shall lose both -Benjamin Franklin

  3. #18
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    1,283
    2779 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    By the sweat of their brows. The hoards of miners were hard working people and did whatever it took to get to the gold. No regulations, nothing to stop them. In the California Motherload foothills, every creek was prospected, and as they followed the pay, it led to discoveries of veins and seams. Their minds were also sharp and unpolluted and all energy was spent in the search for gold.
    Prior to the goldrush in California, wildfires swept through the forests and grasslands on a regular basis, cleaning the underbrush and leaving the land clean.
    This made finding veins and hidden placers much easier after the winter rains came and washed the land surface clean.
    I dont know about unpolluted minds.. gallon of cheap whiskey and high stakes gambling everyday, will pollute rather quickly
    N-Lionberger and audigger53 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

  4. #19
    us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    740
    1561 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Baldwin View Post
    really? why do you think it's a lie?
    Because whoever wins the war gets to write the story

  5. #20
    us
    Feb 2018
    12
    6 times
    Lost Mines
    I can't speak to California and the southwest, but based on my research, the Spanish were quite active mining gold and silver in the southeast in the late 16th and 17th centuries. I'm sure much of their information was gathered from indigenous groups, but the Spanish (and the French for a short time) were focused on minerals and included experienced miners in almost all their expeditions. Evidence of old 17th century mining efforts have been located:

    -- The best evidence of Spanish era mining is along the Valley River, north of Murphy, North Carolina, where as many as eleven mineshafts have been found that were constructed to mine gold ore. (Spanish artifacts were taken from these shafts - interested folks should visit the Cherokee County Museum in Murphy.)

    --The “Horse Stomp Mine,” located on Rich’s Knob north of Little Switzerland, North Carolina,

    --Iron tools found in "prehistoric workings" in the Guyer mica mine northwest of Franklin, Macon County, North Carolina.

    --An apparent mine site I've been investigating in Hamblen County, Tennessee

    --Remains of what may have been a placer mining operation in Duke’s Creek valley, in White County, Georgia

    --Remnants of a stone dam and sluice found by early settlers in Lincolnton, North Carolina

    For those interested, De Rei Metallica is also available for free online (https://archive.org/details/deremetallica50agri). Former President Hoover (a mining engineer) and his wife translated from Latin. I find it amazing how sophisticated mining techniques were in the 16th century.
    audigger53 likes this.

  6. #21

    May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5,622
    4108 times
    Well one thing is perfectly clear , Toad Hoffman DIDNT help in their search for gold!

  7. #22
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    4,773
    10122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by flex View Post
    I can't speak to California and the southwest, but based on my research, the Spanish were quite active mining gold and silver in the southeast in the late 16th and 17th centuries. I'm sure much of their information was gathered from indigenous groups, but the Spanish (and the French for a short time) were focused on minerals and included experienced miners in almost all their expeditions. Evidence of old 17th century mining efforts have been located:

    -- The best evidence of Spanish era mining is along the Valley River, north of Murphy, North Carolina, where as many as eleven mineshafts have been found that were constructed to mine gold ore. (Spanish artifacts were taken from these shafts - interested folks should visit the Cherokee County Museum in Murphy.)

    --The “Horse Stomp Mine,” located on Rich’s Knob north of Little Switzerland, North Carolina,

    --Iron tools found in "prehistoric workings" in the Guyer mica mine northwest of Franklin, Macon County, North Carolina.

    --An apparent mine site I've been investigating in Hamblen County, Tennessee

    --Remains of what may have been a placer mining operation in Duke’s Creek valley, in White County, Georgia

    --Remnants of a stone dam and sluice found by early settlers in Lincolnton, North Carolina

    For those interested, De Rei Metallica is also available for free online (https://archive.org/details/deremetallica50agri). Former President Hoover (a mining engineer) and his wife translated from Latin. I find it amazing how sophisticated mining techniques were in the 16th century.

    That's actually a very small amount of activity.

    Permanence would mean a lot of activity.

    The main mining was done in Mexico and South America. Mostly for Silver and Copper.

    As far as what is now the U.S. they missed pretty much every major deposit there was to find.

    They had a person with mining knowledge on expeditions, not quite miners.

    Most of their finds in the America's were based on leads from native populations.

  8. #23
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7124 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    That's actually a very small amount of activity.

    Permanence would mean a lot of activity.

    The main mining was done in Mexico and South America. Mostly for Silver and Copper.

    As far as what is now the U.S. they missed pretty much every major deposit there was to find.

    They had a person with mining knowledge on expeditions, not quite miners.

    Most of their finds in the America's were based on leads from native populations.
    exactly. Look at the indiginous gold use and later mining by the Spanish. The south American cultures used silver and gold extensively with royal and religious items. The Spanish found this and exploited it. The North American Indians didnt care about gold, so when the Spanish arrived there was little knowledge of gold deposits to exploit. Yes, they tested likely looking areas, but as already mentioned, they missed massive and easy discoveries.

  9. #24
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    4,773
    10122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    don't get me wrong. The Spanish were the first in the new world to really tap into the resources on an industrial level.

    Though the majority of their success was based on luck and trial and error

    http://www.insidemydesk.com/lapubs/miningtrends.pdf
    KevinInColorado likes this.

  10. #25
    bug
    bug is offline

    Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    140
    167 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    I dont know about unpolluted minds.. gallon of cheap whiskey and high stakes gambling everyday, will pollute rather quickly
    Sure some drank as throughout all history but if you read the writings and journals from the time period you will see they were certainly not all a bunch of degenerates. (one of my favorites is John Doble's journal and letters from the mines) Quite the opposite these were the men that made America great. Their minds were strong. Just look at the mining engineering accomplishments in those days before Caterpillar and John Deer. For example fluming entire stretches of river, pumping systems, drift mines, hydraulic mining...
    Many even memorized entire books of the bible in those times. Who can do that now. Our environment is polluted, our food is fast and toxic filled with chemicals, our minds are filled with trash from hollywood, the music we listen... you get the drift.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FID3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	1551748
    Last edited by bug; Feb 17, 2018 at 03:20 PM.
    Clay Diggins and Asmbandits like this.

  11. #26
    us
    Feb 2018
    12
    6 times
    Lost Mines
    Spanish mining in the southeast certainly wasn't on the scale witnessed in Mexico or Bolivia. However, none of the old mine sites I've been able to document show up in the history books, and instead of being carried out by the crown, were probably free-lance operations carried out by miners who didn't want to share proceeds. In addition to not being sanctioned by their government, there were apparently several conflicts between miners and Indians. There was a strong oral tradition of this reported among the Cherokee, and a specific account places a battle at Lincolnton, North Carolina. These operations apparently ended around 1700, shut down by the expanded English influence out of Charleston.

    One can't defend Spanish treatment of indigenous tribes, but from a technical perspective, these guys seemed to be pretty competent miners.
    audigger53 likes this.

  12. #27
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    4,773
    10122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Sure some drank as throughout all history but if you read the writings and journals from the time period you will see they were certainly not all a bunch of degenerates. (one of my favorites is John Doble's journal and letters from the mines) Quite the opposite these were the men that made America great. Their minds were strong. Just look at the mining engineering accomplishments in those days before Caterpillar and John Deer. For example fluming entire stretches of river, pumping systems, drift mines, hydraulic mining...
    Many even memorized entire books of the bible in those times. Who can do that now. Our environment is polluted, our food is fast and toxic filled with chemicals, our minds are filled with trash from hollywood, the music we listen... you get the drift.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FID3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	1551748

    it was only some of the "boys" who really let looses and only initially was it super wild.

    After a while you were working for someone else if you stuck around.

    Just like today if you were to drunk to work, well you didn't keep your job very long.
    bug likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. My finding in questioning
    By Sweetrazz in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2017, 03:47 PM
  2. Questioning between AT PRO and a Tesoro
    By hughmaster10 in forum Tesoro
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Sep 13, 2013, 07:46 PM
  3. Questioning the authenticity of my first Atocha purchase
    By borntohunt460 in forum Shipwrecks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 30, 2013, 03:08 PM
  4. Questioning Free Speech Here!
    By aquanut in forum Dowsing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Dec 02, 2008, 04:35 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0