Grimes Creek Idaho??

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone!! Had a quick question about Grimes Creek. I have an opportunity to get a claim on Grimes Creek. The claim is south west of Idaho City, off of rt 21. Was wondering if I should invest in the claim, or should I save my money and try to find open areas where there are no claims and open to the public to dredge. I am unfamiliar with the area. Of course I would test the claim before I decide to buy it. I have checked it out on the LR2000. I will be headed west this spring. Thanks in advance for all the help and info!

Upvote 0

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I live in Sweden.

Destiny however took me to Grimes Creek, Idaho. I spent a whole day prospecting that area, various creeks and waterways. Gold was everywhere but never enough to even bother picking it out of the pan. I tried getting a few feet down at occasions and even digging under lots of overburden at old placer mines and old river deposits, again with limited gold.

I am aware that most gold sits on bedrock and dredging is the way to go in order to pick up whatever has been left by the oldtimers. I do however also believe that the miners were aware of this same thing, and that Grimes probably was diverted back and forth until it was propely mined out. The creek was at the very entry of gold county, Idaho and could possibly be the most mined valley in the state.

I might be wrong, I havent prospected bedrock in the area. I think even a dredge would have its issues getting down to bedrock there - but I think the key to getting gold in Idaho is putting in some footwork and finding virgin ground. I plan on going back sooner or later and possibly doing just that, I enjoyed this state very much in lots of ways despite not finding much gold.

Grimes.jpg
grimes2.jpg

G

ghostminer

Have you ever done any prospecting along Henderson Creek?

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I only find two Creeks by that name in Idaho, both in the southeastern part of the state. Those I did not prospect. If there's another Creek by that name Close to Idaho City, I might have tried it as I dug numerous locations. Don't recall the name however.

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically what I am trying to do is secure a few locations so that when I do go out there, I'm not roaming around trying to find places to mine. I have n ares that I can go to around September, but I need an area for June, July, and August. Or could I just be over thinking this whole thing and just go out there and put the dredge in the water.

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After traveling the world and mining numerous of countries, all I have learned is that you cant really secure gold before actually going somewhere. I mean, sure you'll know where to get a little color in advance but thousands of creeks produced plenty of each gold in Idaho. I dont Believe it is that important to pinpoint a single claim to be successful.

I should also mention that the by far best spot I've ever encountered as a miner, was by roaming around in rather unknown places. There is actually a hiking trail on that spot and gold lies shallow, so people have been stepping on ounces of gold for many years without knowing it's there.

G

ghostminer

Near the Henderson & Sunrise MTS. Gold discovered there in 1865. Supposed to be a good area.

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the advice!! Really appreciate it. I love the idea of just going out there and having some fun, cause that's really what I want. My biggest hesitation is that i am a female traveling alone. Don't get me wrong, I know that this is what I want and if need be, I can hold my own. Just a little nerve wracking.

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lone female dredger? Well thats new to me.

Mining is good therapy. I prefer to do it alone, least the prospecting part of it. But I would recommend teaming up with someone if you intend using heavier equipment. What previous experience do you have?

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grimes creek is a major gold producer in history , bucketlined for miles , and the whole area mined heavily for a while , new dredge restrictions on grimes creek are 4 hr a day dredging limit , it could still be a good spot though , just don't plan on dredging sun up to sun down , ironically i just read this info today , i have a claim that runs out of water in late summer and I'm also trying to have another location available in a miner friendly state ,
i am always alone , it does get nerve wracking at times and I'm not a female , stay safe out there

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there are a few of us out there..lol I have been dredging for the last 3 years here on the east coast. Not much gold where I'm at. I live in a "hobby" state. Mining has helped me get through some tough stuff the last few years. That's why I am going where there is more gold. I currently use a 3 inch keene dredge. I wanted a 4 inch, but I didn't have the money at the time. I also use a highbanker, and a fluid bed sluice. Dredging is my favorite though.

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also thinking about Colorado. And of course there is Alaska. That's the ultimate goal for me. I did read the 4 hour limit on Grimes Creek. I was also thinking about heading up the the Payette River.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe it has also been either limited or removed from dredgable waters , sorry , i have been researching Idaho for a little bit, Colorado is very friendly to dredges that size . i also dream of dredging in ak. , but I'm not willing to go that far alone

G

ghostminer

Here's an interesting video to watch about the government overstepping their bounds in Idaho. They messed with the wrong people who were dredging.

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an interesting video to watch about the government overstepping their bounds in Idaho. They messed with the wrong people who were dredging.

Yes I've seen this video. I have seen most of Shannon Poes stuff. I will become an AMRA member before I head out that way

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe it has also been either limited or removed from dredgable waters , sorry , i have been researching Idaho for a little bit, Colorado is very friendly to dredges that size . i also dream of dredging in ak. , but I'm not willing to go that far alone
Yea I won't go to Alaska by myself either

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just curious. If youre a east coast dredger, how will you do the logistics by taking your talents to the west? Driving coast to coast? Where will you stay/sleep while working these remote areas?

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
If I were you I would join the IGPA and/or the Nampa Gold Club as well. I am part of the IGPA and a family membership for the year is only $35 bucks. We also lease gold recovery equipment. Both clubs offer pre classified dirt depending on time of year. Be cautious in buying a claim, also look into water permits. Here is a link to our fb page https://www.facebook.com/IdahoGoldProspectors/ In July we have our mining games, we move lot's of dirt for the games.

OP
OP
K

krrtuck

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have a trailer that I tow. It's Pretty much my home. It goes where ever I go. All of my equipment stays in the trailer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions