Conspiracy To Keep Gold In The Ground....?

Cal Kellogg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone...

I live in Foresthill, Ca. and I'm really beginning to scratch my head....I live in the heart of Gold Rush country and I love prospecting, but there is clearly a war on prospectors. The over reach of the ASRA is well documented on these pages and I've run across folks that have had problems with Forest Service people out in the Tahoe and Eldorado National Forests....

With restrictions on digging, even scrapping dirt out of a tiny crack and wide spread restrictions on metal detecting it is becoming clear to me that the government at local, state and federal levels is heavily invested in keeping the gold in the ground and is very concerned about the possibility of the public finding something that they can turn a profit on. Why????

Even prior to the ASRA imposing their latest hands and pans rule, they were very clear that if you found gold legally in the ASRA that you couldn't sell it ????? Like they would ever know right?

While Federal and State official are clearly anti sluicing and panning, it seems like metal detectors are especially hated....Again scratching my head....What could be less invasive than a guy walking around at the speed of cold motor oil, scrapping 3 inch deep holes in the woods....?

The ASRA is a prefect example of what I'm talking about....They encourage mountain biking and motorcycling....Both sports create massive erosion. They encourage rafting, which results in much trash deposited in the river (and clearly someone is turning a profit by exploiting the river). Heck they even allow Placer County to operate a police shooting range in the ASRA that they must lease out to other LEO organizations because at times I've seen upwards of 100 people shooting at the range, far more people than the Placer Co. Sheriff's office employs...Hundreds of shooters, maybe thousands annually....Tens of thousands of lead slugs going into the environment, yet I'm the bad guy with my sore back, bad knee and Gold Bug 2....?

Is there an anti prospecting conspiracy and if so why? Why is the government soooooo invested in keeping the gold in the ground....???????

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your not legally allowed to sell any gold you find on public lands unless you have claim to it.

That's not a state law either.

some areas have commercial collection permits for certain things in certain areas.

There is nothing at the county level curtailing small scale prospecting.

Heck if you do it seasonally the county considers you recreational even on your own claim.

It isn't as bad as you are being told.

There are many great areas outside of ASRA that are better.

There are no anti sluicing laws

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can sell what you find on a lease or a claim or private property you have permission to be on and keep gold you find.

One of the few high end benefits of joining a club.

Any other benefits tend to be second tier or like Stowage Class even :laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can also get an inexpensive permit to commercially collect minerals (rock collecting includes gold of course) on federally managed public lands without a claim. Ask at your local ranger office. Just be sure to say “commercial rock collection permit”.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true but they limit you to value and it is not very much

F.s. has different permits and not everywhere does it.

BLM commercial prospecting permit is for non typical situations. And is basically a claim. the permit is by location.

There is no permit I know of that allows you to travel to collection areas as a commercial operation.

Can you share a link to your info Kevin

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all to stop climate change, preserve the ecosystems and to protect us from ourselves.

You aren't the victim of restrictions, you are the benefactor of a highly unregulated system. Can't have people prospecting or mding everywhere like anarchy. If you start allowing it now everyone will buy pans and detectors and the entire surface of the planet would be turned upside down. Prospect holes everywhere and tailings covering every town and kids getting hurt at playgrounds. The world would fall apart it's easy to see.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read a guesstimate that for every gram of gold found in California approximately 5 fish die, two teenagers get pregnant and a unicorn loses its horn. It's something to be taken very serious.

G

ghostminer

News Alert : In some areas of the Sierra Nevada the yellow legged mountain frog are endangered & protected.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be honest... Its not just California or little agencies... Its actually a one of those hidden US foreign policies. Its the reason we BUY most of our oil and metals these days from other countries. Expend everyone else's natural resources FIRST. I REALLY wish it wasnt the case, but the more I look and think back to my time in school and college... I know I heard it during my educational years, and I'll never forget it, because it seemed so, selfish? But think about it... Why waste ours, when we can let everyone use theirs up first, and then when they're all gone, they have to come to us, still keeping the US at the top of the political hierarchy of the world.

Where's my foil hat at... I smell chem trails.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's got to be one of the least successful conspiracies ever. :laughing7:

In 2016 the United States produced 209 tonnes of gold, worth about US$8.5 billion, and 6.7% of world production, making it the fourth-largest gold-producing nation on earth.

The US is a net exporter of gold. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, if it's illegal to find gold on public lands and sell it, does that mean all the nugget hunters on public lands are breaking the law? If everybody that nugget hunts, or pans, or runs sluices, obeyed the law it would put a real dent in the sale of gold equipment....LOL I imagine the vast majority percentage of them are not working claimed, or private ground.
jim

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, if it's illegal to find gold on public lands and sell it, does that mean all the nugget hunters on public lands are breaking the law? If everybody that nugget hunts, or pans, or runs sluices, obeyed the law it would put a real dent in the sale of gold equipment....LOL I imagine the vast majority percentage of them are not working claimed, or private ground.
jim
Just for fun here is the term "Finder" from Black's Law dictionary 4th ed. page 758:

One who discovers and takes possession of another's personal property, which was then lost........LOL.....LOL.
So is this what is happening when one is out metal detecting?.......LOL

Last edited:

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is it illegal to sell your gold, I know tons of people who have sold their gold they got from public land in nor cal?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How is it illegal to sell your gold, I know tons of people who have sold their gold they got from public land in nor cal?
Did "Congress dispose of most of the Lands" in the past? If not you better hold on to the gold nuggets now and not "Sell" them........LOL....LOL.
Better yet you best not make a "Discovery" or the "Congress" will come after you........LOL.
Thanks for the laugh.

Sell from Black's Law D. 4th ed. page 1525:
To dispose of by sale.

Sale. A contract between two parties,...........transfers to the latter the title and the possession of property..........

So if the "Congress" did not "Dispose of most of the Lands" you better watch out and hold on to every little piece ..........LOL......LOL.

Yep there is a "Contract of sale" for every little piece of "Minerals".......LOL.....is this the "Claim"?......LOL,

Needed a little laugh here that is all. Thanks.

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just go out on the public lands and take minerals or materials and make a business out of selling them,
those resources are managed and a conditional use permit would be required, I've seen people get fined big time
for taking Arizona flagstone without getting a permit, I don't agree that prospecting, panning and sluicing should fall
under rock collecting, panning and sluicing is an existing use, there is evidence people have been doing it for thousands of years.
Lobby for an exemption like 5 yards per year non-motorized panning, sluicing, rocker box etc...
something like that wouldn't be wrong to call Recreational prospecting as there are already rights on mining claims.
while you're at it Lobby for stricter mineral trespass laws. ether be involved or have others make the laws for you.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The term "business" has no definite or legal meaning.
From Black's Law D. 4th ed. p. 248.

"Surface Management" covers or encompasses "Administration, or Disposal of the Title" can be found in almost any "Manual of Surveying Instructions" as well as many "BLM documents".

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The term "business" has no definite or legal meaning.
From Black's Law D. 4th ed. p. 248.

"Surface Management" covers or encompasses "Administration, or Disposal of the Title" can be found in almost any "Manual of Surveying Instructions" as well as many "BLM documents".
did you try nunyabusiness? I used business as an adjective - someone involved in a profit seeking enterprise...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read something a few years ago that said you could take a single rock/day, up to 250lbs/year, without a permit. As I recall it was a BLM rule. But rules change, and I have no idea what they are now, nor do I care.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread