Recirculating pump question

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Building a recirculating sluice, and its time to get a pump.

I want 120 volts, so I was intending to start with a 3000gph, 6.4 amp sump pump from Harbor Freight, but while I was looking i noticed a 4500gph waterfall pump running at 2.45 amps.

I'll be running off an inverter at times, so I would prefer the lower amperage.

Is there any reason i shouldnt use the waterfall pump?

thanks

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go for it more water and head lift is better.

Plus it will use less amps for battery/inverter use

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a cheapie low flow AC fountain pump I was going to use for my distillation condensers. Found out the head on it is barely over 12-15". Still works but you have to prime the pump and condenser before you insert it into the system. So not all AC fountain pumps have high head. The sump pump should have at least 9-15' of head which should be more than enough for recirc.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a 4500 gph waterfall pump will have a max head of about 20 feet

I just set up a three tub recirc for a customer using one.

With the discharge about 3.5 to 4 feet above the intake it was running great. right around 45 gpm using some flex hose at 1.75 in to 2" abs

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are looking at a 30% increase in work while using less than 1/2 the energy
I would be suspicious of the pumps actual performance

I just looked at a few pumps on lowes.com. they have one rated 4400 GPH and it pulls 6.3 amps

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input

I think i'm gonna go with the cheap sump pump for now, itshould get me set up and running for a while anyhow. long enough to gauge interest for everyone.

And, It'll keep me plenty under budget for upgrades or additional stuff I may want.....or other hobbies

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the width of your sluice and what you're using for riffles. Not all pumps are the same and even though a 3000gph sump pump says 6.4 amps, it's going to be more like 12amps. If your running a 10" wide sluice then 3600 is good. For an 8" wide 2000+ is normal. Most 2000 gph pumps say 6 to 7.5amps but they will blow every 7.5amp fuse that you put in... Plus if it's a recirc, then you will gain more amps as the water gets muddier.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Ive been using the 2600 gph HF for several years. I use my $60 honeywell 1000w generator to power it.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The sluice is a LeTrap, and I really cant comment on the muddy water yet.

I plan to wash through a sifter, so it will get somewhat cleaned before the sluice, and I'll only have a 5 gallon bucket full, maybe two.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sluice is a LeTrap, and I really cant comment on the muddy water yet.

I plan to wash through a sifter, so it will get somewhat cleaned before the sluice, and I'll only have a 5 gallon bucket full, maybe two.

Yea go with as much flow as you can get if it's a le trap

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what its worth...This little recirculating system is using a 600gph pump and delivers plenty of water. 011.JPG

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might re-think that 120v pump. You mentioned at times that you will be using an inverter and they use up battery juice to convert power. If you go with a 12v (walmart, etc. type) deep cycle fully charged should last a few hours maybe four on a warm day with one of many cheap pumps. If you step up to a REAL deep cycle you'll be spend over a couple of hundred each but will last you a looooong time and deliver great power. Nice thing about using a 12v (or two 6v's) is that you don't need anything else out in the woods or any 120v power source. When you are near 120v use a battery charger/deep cycle and sluice away..

p.s.: stick with a submersible pump

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread