got out today.......

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been holed up in the shack for days waiting out our sub zero/teens weather and was going stir-crazy. Got above 35 today so loaded up Goldzilla and headed up the mountain to claim. Struggled with the GGT set up but kinda got it working so-so and things started moving along. All systems go until I took a tumble in the river and filled my hip boots so emptied those out and got in another 30min until I got real cold so had to cut the day short....lol Didn't do too good...7-8 flakes and 25 or so little colors but I got out!!!!!! Kinda like the GGT and so does my back!!!!

goldzilla.JPG

ggt2.JPG

ggt.JPG

ggt3.JPG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta do what you gotta do. Spring is here in Maryland. There will be a new batch of baby birds soon. The moms and dads are in a frenzy right now. Robins are back, mourning doves are back, the Red Tailed hawk is setting up his or her territory. That thing is one noisy bird! Huge too.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh man.....nice lines below the slick plate. Pics of the clean up please :hello:

No snow here but, high water and rain are keeping me inside.
I've got to finish this years sluice box creation before the rivers drop :tongue3:

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice use of a piece railroad track holding that sluice down. Don't think I would want to carry that around but it looks like you
have the tool for that. Stay warm

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice use of a piece railroad track holding that sluice down. Don't think I would want to carry that around but it looks like you
have the tool for that. Stay warm
The railroad track will help with the 'Heavy metals'........LOL
Interesting hold down for sure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the water is high here and cold. No major floods over the winter, however.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well oneguy, that is one heck of a 'red sports car' you have there! how deep of snow will the track layer version get you through? Wet with cold water in 35F temps would see me rolling around in the snow and then get my back side back to the wood fire in the cabin! Be careful of situations like that, be kind to yourself!..................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard earned cold gold is the best!

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!!!!

'63.... machine does pretty good and I never worry about not being able to go pretty much anywhere anytime. It does struggle in deep light powder but 90-95 % of the time I go where I want. It's slow and geared low as the small motor has a tuff time turning all that track but it suits my needs fine. This pic is just shy of 7000' and 8-12' snow (hard to judge when that amount)....

Got out again today and fed the GGT for 4 hrs straight and did almost exactly what I did yesterday....7-8 chunkies and 15-20 specs....

eddy7a.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
O.G....that makes me cold just looking at the pics...LOL. I can remember my fur-hunting days, and sleeping in an open pickup bed at -20*. Some of the best times of my outdoor life, but I can't do it anymore....LOL. I could still do it at 60, but that was 9 years ago. Glad you got at least a little color for your efforts. Be careful out there.
Jim

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O.G....that makes me cold just looking at the pics...LOL. I can remember my fur-hunting days, and sleeping in an open pickup bed at -20*. Some of the best times of my outdoor life, but I can't do it anymore....LOL. I could still do it at 60, but that was 9 years ago. Glad you got at least a little color for your efforts. Be careful out there.
Jim

I also used to trap for many yrs....now I still get out and "trap", using same methods I always used, except now I use trail cams (no more cold hands putting up stinky dead half frozen yotes, animal lives to be "caught" again, and close is good enough as a catch....lol). I also use the machine for this....works great. I hear ya on the getting old crap..... started this prospecting thing way to late!!!! After a heart attack, chemo, and just being wore out, etc. getting wood, prospecting, and just trying to stay active somewhat is getting harder and harder at 64. Cram in all you can while you can because pretty soon you'll just want to sit in that chair!!!!

I said in OP that my back kinda likes the GGT..... well it don't, shoveling is shoveling and last 2 days the bad back caught up with me so I'll be couch bound for a couple days then back out to check some camera traps.

I'll try and get a pic of my 2018, 6 trips total gold so far this yr......not too impressive but I "think" I'm having fun(?)....lol Here's the big take (lmao) for 6 days....

6 days.JPG

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still out there at 69

Well Shucks, that's more gold than you had before you chose to get some more so you are doing just fine.

Yes all that tread contact area sure would make your machines engine grunt, gearing it way down makes a big difference! I had a Rokon once upon a time, the two wheel drive worked well taking the bike up and over 3' high 'stuff' but it was hopeless in mud and I suspect it would not have done well in snow with its 135cc Chrysler marine engine.

PICT0029.JPG Rokon, Circa 1976

This April I turn 74 yrs of age though I'm still not old yet. Keep on keeping on and enjoy yourself out there! I'm looking forward to being "out there" this summer and the high country is finally getting some snow!..............63bkpkr

175_7501 over the edge.JPG This is some of the country I explore in, hands/feet/legs and some rope is what is needed to get around out here.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also used to trap for many yrs....now I still get out and "trap", using same methods I always used, except now I use trail cams (no more cold hands putting up stinky dead half frozen yotes, animal lives to be "caught" again, and close is good enough as a catch....lol). I also use the machine for this....works great. I hear ya on the getting old crap..... started this prospecting thing way to late!!!! After a heart attack, chemo, and just being wore out, etc. getting wood, prospecting, and just trying to stay active somewhat is getting harder and harder at 64. Cram in all you can while you can because pretty soon you'll just want to sit in that chair!!!!

I said in OP that my back kinda likes the GGT..... well it don't, shoveling is shoveling and last 2 days the bad back caught up with me so I'll be couch bound for a couple days then back out to check some camera traps.

I'll try and get a pic of my 2018, 6 trips total gold so far this yr......not too impressive but I "think" I'm having fun(?)....lol Here's the big take (lmao) for 6 days....

View attachment 1558103

I'd say you're doing well! Wish I had gold that size in my area. What part of Montana do you live in? I graduated from high school at Darby in 1966.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Shucks, that's more gold than you had before you chose to get some more so you are doing just fine.

Yes all that tread contact area sure would make your machines engine grunt, gearing it way down makes a big difference! I had a Rokon once upon a time, the two wheel drive worked well taking the bike up and over 3' high 'stuff' but it was hopeless in mud and I suspect it would not have done well in snow with its 135cc Chrysler marine engine.

This April I turn 74 yrs of age though I'm still not old yet. Keep on keeping on and enjoy yourself out there! I'm looking forward to being "out there" this summer and the high country is finally getting some snow!..............63bkpkr

I had a Rokon, once, too. Great outfit, but really hard on your back. Never tried it in the snow.
Jim

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in NW MT..... I'll be passing thru Darby this summer on one of my bikes with a bud. We'll be heading to Bannack for a couple days, he's never been there, I've been a few times (I'll probably even sneak my small finishing pan and my detecting shovel along just in case???? hehe.......)

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a lot of fun man! I have had to break ice to get to panning water before but it's always worth it to me, I get a little gold, a little exercise and a little story to tell. Good stuff man! Love the railroad tie :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread