Well I finally gave in this year and joined

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally gave in and joined gpaa. I'm a cheap skate so spending money on hobbies unless it's equipment is hard for me to do but with all the claim access even if there is little to no gold in my area provides alittle recreation time for my family and I. Hopefully I get crazy rich off all the gold out there [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji109][emoji12]

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I finally gave in and joined gpaa. I'm a cheap skate so spending money on hobbies unless it's equipment is hard for me to do but with all the claim access even if there is little to no gold in my area provides alittle recreation time for my family and I. Hopefully I get crazy rich off all the gold out there [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji109][emoji12]
Great for the family. Hope you have fun.

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great for the family. Hope you have fun.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if joining gpaa would be a good thing but after a couple years now decided to use my "gold prospecting stimulus package" aka tax refund and check it out.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth it for sure especialy when starting out. I've found gold at every gpaa claim I've been on, and had some if my best gold on them as well.

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next step is join your local chapter of the GPAA, Here in Michigan they are quite active, as well as Ohio, Indiana, We have to work harder since we don't have the luxury of those annoying nuggets polluting our waterways like out west.:laughing7:

Bob M

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I took the plunge last month mostly because of time and money constraints. After researching maps and open areas in Arizona from my home in Ohio I would still need further research at the county recorders office. It's enough work trying to find out if the claim is reachable when I get out to them

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tax refund... You gave the IRS more money than you needed too, which they held onto and didn't pay you any interest on? ; )
Glad you had some extra cash to join a club, heavy pans.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm still thinking about joining, my favorite places are lynx Creek and Rose Quartz Creek and they are so close to me that it would make no sense to join at the present. But I am itching to go on some adventures outside my backyard so I will probably join up sometime soon.

Charlie

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Tax refund... You gave the IRS more money than you needed too, which they held onto and didn't pay you any interest on? ; )
Glad you had some extra cash to join a club, heavy pans.

Yep you don't want to get a refund -- you want to break even , I have had many arguments at work about this and some people don't get it and never will. However in some cases it's good as some can't save and a refund works for them.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might have buyers remorse though. I started to do a little more research into the claims listed in the areas in general and find very few accessible by 2x4 vehicles. For an out of state person it is a little cost prohibitive to rent 4x4 transportation to the claims.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of roads that say 4x4 are doable with 2wd

Start posting craigslist adds in the area your going mention your coming out to check out claims , see if you get anyone reaching out to you.

Contact the LDMA camp. You might find someone who is willing to drive around with you for a few days.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I took the plunge last month mostly because of time and money constraints. After researching maps and open areas in Arizona from my home in Ohio I would still need further research at the county recorders office. It's enough work trying to find out if the claim is reachable when I get out to them

If you're looking at the Rich Hill area in AZ, 2wd is fine. It just takes a bit more walking in some spots. It's a good 2wd road from Stanton to Wickenburg and the GPAA claims have good gold with exposed channel. The LDMA also offers 3 day passes and the caretaker will take you out and put you into a good spot. If you come to Eastern Oregon, I'm at the LDMA Blue Bucket mining camp and we are set up with recirculating ponds, exposed channel, etc.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might have buyers remorse though. I started to do a little more research into the claims listed in the areas in general and find very few accessible by 2x4 vehicles. For an out of state person it is a little cost prohibitive to rent 4x4 transportation to the claims.

Not sure where in AZ you might be looking, but buying should not be an option. there are thousands of abandoned hard rock mines, and perhaps just as many placer claims. Yes you can get to most areas with a 2 wheel drive (high clearance) vehicle, but plan on hiking in. My wife likes going through the waste rock to find rocks to tumble, I've managed to get up to many mines in my SxS , but have struggled to turn around at many. most of the placer claims I've been to, if you do not have a 4x4, then plan on buying tires when you get home.(If you can get back home) Most Adits are on the side of a mountain, roads are washed out (if they still exist), I've had my RZR on 2 wheels more than once looking down 100 feet or more.

As far as opening up an old load mine, I hope you are rich, it is going to cost you a bundle for making it safe. Try utube, I like TRV Exploring, but there are many who give you tours inside mines. I've been inside many caves, but very few mines, I have little desire to enter old mines.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to tell you the truth I have been on some of the roads quite by accident after reading how to get to the claims listed in the mining claim guide. I was about three quarters of the way to one claim according to the directions but I stopped to prospect at a listed area that I had already paid the day pass fee to horse around on. I will explore the areas again this year when I go back. It would be the first time in my life that I have had to go backwards for miles to get out. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread