Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am still a little uncertain on how to deal with the death of a mining partner on a 40 acre "joint locator" claim. I have a certified doc from my partner that states "in the case of his death his portion of the claim interest reverts to me solely". His brother (only surviving family member) is not someone I would want to deal with. I have had notary signatures where the dates are allowed to be left blank )probably a result of an unaware notary. It may be prudent to break the 40 acre claim into two 20 acre claims with each of us as a single locator.........cheaper way to address the BLM issue....with an amended location. I'll have to check into that scenario. Otherwise allowing the claim to become open and refiling seems a method.

I am not sure what happens when a person dies, has no will, and basically is so poor there is nothing but neighbors who will steal anything of value left in his rented old single wide mobile home.

This is an interesting thread topic.

Bejay

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you sell dirt in bags from your claims ?

You can make up bags of paydirt, or concentrates with gold in them,
you can Not sell common materials such as sand, gravel, dirt or stone.

other people still can't take sub-surface materials from a persons claim, not
without use permit or lease from BLM or FS and even then they would have
to coordinate with the claim owner and follow a set of guidelines, like say your
claim also has a rock quarry, as far as BLM goes, someone using materials from your claim
could lead to the miner saying, I haven't checked those for valuable minerals yet.

Don't really know enough about the situation, you could cherry pick what you want to hear
or give us a more complete story to get a more accurate response.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make up bags of paydirt, or concentrates with gold in them,
you can Not sell common materials such as sand, gravel, dirt or stone.

other people still can't take sub-surface materials from a persons claim, not
without use permit or lease from BLM or FS and even then they would have
to coordinate with the claim owner and follow a set of guidelines, like say your
claim also has a rock quarry, as far as BLM goes, someone using materials from your claim
could lead to the miner saying, I haven't checked those for valuable minerals yet.

Don't really know enough about the situation, you could cherry pick what you want to hear
or give us a more complete story to get a more accurate response.

yea I figured he meant paydirt

OP
OP
D

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009
well...my dad aleways said.."Gold is where you find it" so who is to say there is no flour

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy reading all the work arounds...vs. the easier proper way to do things.

There was no easy workaround in my case. My partner was Wally Koz, if you were on the 49erMike site in 2006 then you know the story. He died a few hours after calling me and asking me to take care of things here in CA and his wife in AZ... Motorhome, property, dredges, claim, wife was broke, and they had left a freezer full of meat in the motorhome a year before with no power... Not a good memory... I bought her out on the claim, gave her more to keep her above board and did my best for her, already had power of attorney for her, then she went and burned to death in her house. A few days later, even though the paperwork arrived, because she was now dead, no more power of attorney because she was dead. Then Wally's brother calls claiming everything belongs to him, I call Zooka and we set him straight, so he put us in contact with the next of kin... It was the WORST year of my life and I would never wish it on anyone. I was to broken to deal with it, I'd called the Sheriff on my wife, they wanted to put her in prison for child molestation, she was setting up our daughter to be raped by a 47year old registered sex offender, and now she was sleeping in my son's bed and he and I had an agreement that he would not go up to his room if she was up there... So at the same time, I got divorced, took custody of the kids becoming a single parent... And according to cps, who had seen this countless times now, they said she would walk away and never even call the kids... so it just got worse, and worse, then her new church accused me of being a wife beater because she couldn't tell them the truth, that I had called the cops on her... Talk about broken... That year and the next 5 sucked, so I stopped her church in their tracks, one man against a church... Lol :evil6: I made it!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread