Mining Claims after Death of Owner

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I inherited 7 claims from my father-in-law. Just had to send in a copy of the will, copy of death certificate, my I'd (may not have been necessary) and $10 filing fee.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mineral estate (mining claim) ownership transfers by succession (inheritance) on death unless the claim owner arranged for something else to happen in their will or by contract.

It depends on the State inheritance laws and the size of the estate whether Probate is required.

From the BLM Mining Claims Handbook:
Death of a Claimant

An interest in a mining claim or site is an interest in real property and is treated as such in state probate proceedings when a mining claimant dies.
Upon notification of the death of a claimant, the procedures below should be followed:

a. If probate of the estate has been completed, the following must
be submitted:
(1) A copy of the decree of distribution;
and
(2) A copy of the death certificate.

b. If probate of the estate has not been completed, the following must be submitted:
(1) Evidence of the authority of the executor or administrator to act on behalf of the estate;
and

c. When there is no will and/or probate proceedings are not required, the following must be submitted:
(1) A copy of the will, if one exists, or a notarized statement signed by the heirs that they are the only heirs of the deceased;
and

If the procedures in Step b above are followed, the ownership record of the affected claims or sites will be changed to
“the estate of --------, in care of [executor or personal representative].”

NOTE: If the claims are located in a community property state and the laws in that state provide that a surviving spouse automatically acquires the deceased party’s possessions and property, a death certificate can suffice to change the records if the surviving spouse is listed on the death certificate.

At the end of the probate proceedings, the new owner(s) of the mining claim or site must file the necessary document(s) with the BLM and
at that time ownership of the affected mining claim or site will be updated accordingly.

If there is no surviving spouse and no will, and there are co-claimants in addition to the deceased claimant, the co-claimants can publish out (see Chapter IV section G) the deceased claimant in order to have the claimant removed from the records.

The full processing fee is required to update the records after a death is reported and the documents are filed.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From Clay: "If there is no surviving spouse and no will, and there are co-claimants in addition to the deceased claimant, the co-claimants can publish out (see Chapter IV section G) the deceased claimant in order to have the claimant removed from the records.

The full processing fee is required to update the records after a death is reported and the documents are filed.
Heavy Pans"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another twist to the scenario.

Two miners/locators have a 40 acre mining claim held by them. One dies and has given a notarized document saying that at the passing of one gives ownership to the sole partner. But it is not a "quit claim deed". Can the existing claim holder simply add another name to the work maint waiver/ end of year affidavit and continue on; or does all the location docs need to be re-done?...as if you are starting over (kinda costly)

It appears that each locator should sign (notary) a quit claim deed and have it ready should one partner die.....when the time comes.

Bejay

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that each locator should sign (notary) a quit claim deed and have it ready should one partner die.....when the time comes.

Bejay

Don't all transfers have to be reported to BLM within 60 days,

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't all transfers have to be reported to BLM within 60 days,

My thinking is you have each locator notary sign a quit claim deed but don't actually date the deed. You then would date & record after death of one.....within the 60 day grace period. Understanding that a notary doc exists supporting that method of transfer.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, it would go by the date it was recorded with the county clerk? it would be good to have something like this.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Notary will insist on a current date. They won't notarize without one.

The transaction occurs on the day the quitclaim is assigned, the act of public recording a transfer of property is just a public notice that the event has already occurred.

A quit claim is only one way to transfer an interest in property. :icon_thumleft:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
From Clay: "If there is no surviving spouse and no will, and there are co-claimants in addition to the deceased claimant, the co-claimants can publish out (see Chapter IV section G) the deceased claimant in order to have the claimant removed from the records.

Heavy Pans"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another twist to the scenario.

Two miners/locators have a 40 acre mining claim held by them. One dies and has given a notarized document saying that at the passing of one gives ownership to the sole partner. But it is not a "quit claim deed". Can the existing claim holder simply add another name to the work maint waiver/ end of year affidavit and continue on; or does all the location docs need to be re-done?...as if you are starting over (kinda costly)

Bejay

Or here is another twist to the scenario.

Two miners/locators have a 40 acre mining claim held by them one dies but his name
stays on the claim, so now one miner has a 40 acre claim. My point is BLM in not checking

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Two miners/locators have a 40 acre mining claim held by them one dies but his name
stays on the claim, so now one miner has a 40 acre claim. My point is BLM in not checking

Exactly, when my claim partners died, I left them on there for years, BLM didn't care as long as they got my money. Then I let it go for a few months and refiled on it myself a couple years ago over the summer, to claim the gold-bearing ground that was open and right next to the river, while making the claim smaller being that it's backed by miles of private property that I mine also.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The portion of the claim that belonged to the dead man belongs to his heirs - not to the mining partner, unless there was a will granting the claim to the partner or a contract was made before the partners death.

The BLM is looking, this situation is way more common than you might expect. I see many claims closed each year because of too few claimants. Whether the BLM catches on right away or not doesn't matter. If you don't allow the dead partners heirs to inherit the claim is too large to be held by one claimant. When the BLM does catch on the choice will be to either reduce the claim size or have the claim declared null and void.

Here's the kicker - the claim is considered reduced or null and void as of the time of the partners death. You can't come out ahead of the game unless you allow the heirs to take over the portion of the claim that is their rightful inheritance.

I'm pretty sure in most (all) States withholding an heirs inheritance is considered fraud. Most courts would frown on that sort of behavior but in the end run would consider the claim property to belong to the heir even if they didn't know about the claim.

There really is no end run around this situation. Counting on the BLM not to notice is a fools game. They love finding this stuff, they are not your friend. The courts really hate dummy claimants and it doesn't get much more dummy than being dead. You might as well try collecting on your dead grandmothers Social Security, the stuff that will come down on you when you are found out is way worse than just dealing with the situation.

Just one man's opinion:
If your claim partner dies just deal with the family and work something out that satisfies everyone as well as possible. If the claim is worth mining and the partner was worth having it seems treating his heirs rights with respect would not only be the proper legal course of action, it would be the right moral choice - in my opinion.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy reading all the work arounds...vs. the easier proper way to do things.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Just one man's opinion:
If your claim partner dies just deal with the family and work something out that satisfies everyone as well as possible. If the claim is worth mining and the partner was worth having it seems treating his heirs rights with respect would not only be the proper legal course of action, it would be the right moral choice - in my opinion.

Heavy Pans
I agree 100% and that's how I would do it -- However I don't think BLM is checking Kern County in CA.

OP
OP
D

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009
so there is the other issue with trespass if you can sell the dirt then trespassers would be disturbing your claim,?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread