Gold rush 2017-2018(spoilers!)

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
So I just watched the season finale and it was pretty good for how bland the series is getting.

Todd Hoffman: It seemed to me Todd learned a huge lesson in humility toward the end of the season. Started with three plants and ended with just one, fighting the city and state, and being shot at, he really didn't have much of a chance. He mentioned Dave Turin at the end of the episode. I doubt they will ever patch things up(but if Todd is truly humble, they might just). Having come no where near 5000 ounces and his team in shambles, what will he do this year?

Tony Beets: The band played on for Tony as what I call, "p*ss poor planning", came back to bite him in the backside. While he got well over his gold goal. His 2nd dredge is sitting idle for two seasons. Then he choose to fight Parker's attempts at freedom(he had a somewhat legal right) but it seems to me, that he is just burning bridges. With his 2nd dredge sitting in pieces and Parker being his biggest competitor, what will happen to Tony this year?

Parker Schnabel: Parker bet Todd 100 ounces he would beat him to 5000 ounces and he got over 6000. He fulfilled his contract with Tony, but about the other guy? Ken? Did he just drop out of that contract? Will Rick be staying? I am betting he won't be. He has his own claim right next to Tony. Is it going to be fireworks all next season.

All in all not a bad season. They need new blood for sure as the seasons "dole drums" can really wear you down quick..

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
production blamed todds lack of gold on fighting the city and state...why? Cause He is a t a permitted gravel plant that has already worked ground...so uh yeah.. its not really gonna have much gold.

He got in trouble for digging past permitted ground and water. No where that he is digging is an actual claim. They can drive to the hardware store or Napa auto in town in like fifteen minutes.

And notice how everyone else is working Tonys' ground..??

It makes it easier to keep everyone in one spot...less camera crews spread out...

just sayin"

if it wasn't for Tonys' ground and recycled clean ups no one would have gold to show.

Parker had mine experience at one location before this show.

He has money to invest. if he was any kind of prospector he wouldn't need Tony to get ground.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had mineral rights to hundreds of acres of ground (Tony) containing many thousands of ounces, I wouldn't settle for a percentage.....I'd mine it myself.
Even in the Yukon you can only claim so many acres per person.....I wonder how many people are in with Tony and how much he pays them???....
I don't even want to get into the fact that non Canadian citizens cannot own a claim.

There's so much not said on the show, it leads people into misconceptions of the truth.

Enough said :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
WOW! i can't believe no one is chiming in on this. I guess Gold Rush is old hat.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cause theres already a thread on it and Gold Rush is fake scripted crap

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why is there even competition? It's not like they can outsell each other I mean it's gold, people are always buying the stuff. I enjoy the show for one reason and that is because Tony is playing with old bucket dredges and I enjoy that part, too bad they spend so little time on it. I wish they would make like a youtube show about operating antique bucket dredges I could care less about the rest.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had mineral rights to hundreds of acres of ground (Tony) containing many thousands of ounces, I wouldn't settle for a percentage.....I'd mine it myself.
Even in the Yukon you can only claim so many acres per person.....I wonder how many people are in with Tony and how much he pays them???....
I don't even want to get into the fact that non Canadian citizens cannot own a claim.

As I pointed out Tony is a Canadian citizen so if he has good paying claims in the Yukon I can only say atta boy!

I was curious about your statement that there is a limit on the acres that can be claimed in the Yukon. I read the laws and I can't find any limit on the number of acres or the number of placer mining claims any qualified person can claim in the Yukon. There is a time limit on the making of creek claims. Claims made by one person on the same creek are limited to one new claim every 60 days. Non creek placer claims no time limit. There is no limit on the total number of creek claims or non creek claims.

This is also true in the United States. There is no limit on the number of claims you can own.

I know a lot of smart prospectors who lease their mining claims. It's a good income and keeps the prospector busy with what they are good at - finding new deposits to claim. Not everyone has a desire to run heavy equipment 8 hours a day. A good prospector is a precious thing in the mining industry. Not all miners run trackhoes and washplants some of us do very different jobs that are very necessary to the mining industry.

I don't watch the show but I would think the guy who has more gold than he can mine presently would be foolish not to lease out some of his claims. Mining is a business and it is about making money. Good claims going unworked don't make money they cost money. Bad business.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that's why Parker leases from him. but, the story is always about how much he hates his arrangement...even though he keeps making it.

Their digs are real close to each other I bet they hang out every afternoon and pretend to be enemies for the camera

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I watched the "after show special" and it was sad to learn that Parker broke up with his girlfriend. I thought it was a good arrangement. Oh well...

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Parker has an attitude that his grandfather used to keep under control. He has gotten real cocky since he turned 21. I would rather work for Tony Beets than work for Parker.

WesP

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Mound House, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Extera 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something I have always wondered about. So Paker get 6000 ounces worth $$$$. How much did it actually cost him to produce it? How much do his employees get? What does it cost him to restore the ground? How much is done to the equipment to prepare it for the winter?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and how much tv money do they get?
heck I'll go dig for gold and don't care if I find any if the tv money is good enough

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parker is Worth about four million. Last year it was two million.

he gets about 150k to film a season. His first season he got 75k

The claim is he has mined over 13 million dollars in gold and he is just twenty four.

Doing some research you may find that some mines produce at a "cash cost" of around $600 dollars announce. In North America. the Cheapest mining continent.

The "industry wide average is $1k

The average worldwide ore grade is 5.3g per ton

it takes over nine tons to make a gold golf ball

Think about that...some mines are making $200.00 an ounce

I am glad I am a small scale miner. Cause there is no way in hell I would pay 1k to get two hundred bucks

Again Gold Rush is about as far from realistic as you can get.

The sets and eye candy look authentic...the "operations" not so much

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Think about that...some mines are making $200.00 an ounce

I am glad I am a small scale miner. Cause there is no way in hell I would pay 1k to get two hundred bucks

So at a profit (post all expenses) of $200 an once x 6000 oz (this seasons claimed take) his profit was only $1.2 million (if my math is correct)?
You know I'd bust my butt for 3 months a year (mining), work hard for 6 months a year ( off season equipment maintenance) and play 3 months a year for $1.2 million. But I guarantee you I wouldn't have the drama.

I live in Alaska and have friends/acquaintances with mines that size in remote areas so I understand $9.00 gal diesel, getting parts flown in, etc. One thing I guarantee you is not a ONE of them have the drama that we see on these shows. Guys work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week & get a day off every few weeks. It's all about the paycheck at the end of the rainbow. The season is short. Drama lowers production. There is no hard hat throwing & stomping off like a baby. If you can't get along with the rest of the crew they can't afford to keep you & you are on the next plane out.

I also understand that the video from a GoPro set up just filming a placer mining operation would get boring to most of us after 20 or 30 hrs. :dontknow:
It sure wouldn't be the #1 show on Discovery...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So at a profit (post all expenses) of $200 an once x 6000 oz (this seasons claimed take) his profit was only $1.2 million (if my math is correct)?
You know I'd bust my butt for 3 months a year (mining), work hard for 6 months a year ( off season equipment maintenance) and play 3 months a year for $1.2 million. But I guarantee you I wouldn't have the drama.

I live in Alaska and have friends/acquaintances with mines that size in remote areas so I understand $9.00 gal diesel, getting parts flown in, etc. One thing I guarantee you is not a ONE of them have the drama that we see on these shows. Guys work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week & get a day off every few weeks. It's all about the paycheck at the end of the rainbow. The season is short. Drama lowers production. There is no hard hat throwing & stomping off like a baby. If you can't get along with the rest of the crew they can't afford to keep you & you are on the next plane out.

I also understand that the video from a GoPro set up just filming a placer mining operation would get boring to most of us after 20 or 30 hrs. :dontknow:
It sure wouldn't be the #1 show on Discovery...

I know I get it.

I have a feeling that Parker is running at the high end of cash cost...that is if he really pulled that much from the ground.

an op that profits that much and was that big...the profit would most likely not be going to one person.

Remember ar one point Parker had tp borrow money and compared to what he is supposed to be recovering a few short years later it was chump change.

I would rather work with a six man team and dig 3000 oz at a cash cost of 700 an ounce than deal with 1000 an oz operation and all its added "fun"

I to wonder what their actual cash costs are per operation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread