Move boulders with gear that can be packed in.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been thinking about what I will need to move boulders, or rocks with what I can carry in a pack. However, the pack also has other tools. Pans, (2) 2.5 gal. buckets, either a 24" Bazooka sniper or a Keene A51a fitted with Gold hog mats. A 6' sling. A small strap wratchet 900lb come along. 4 small metal pulleys. A 1" tiedown strap. 50' of 3/8" nylon braided rope. A Gad bar, a rock hammer, and assorted crevacing tools and a metal detector. Food and a gallon of water.
I am interested in Technique. I saw a technique where the strap was tightened around s boulder, then the come along went over the top to the far side. It pulled the boulder and rolled it. Of course, building a cobble ramp, digging under etc all can help. I saw a technique that uses a rope and a stick. Using a loop around a boulder to a tree. One uses the stick to "wind" the rope in the middle. Surpisingly, this method seemed to have the best torque ratio I've ever seen. I am asking for practical ways to use this equipment to leverage my equipment to move boulders in a stream. I also read the New 49rs piece on this. They recomended finding the gold line and making sure not to roll the boulder right into the gold. Well, I cant seem to find a thread on this here. Maybe there is one. Ok, so what can one do with this equipment? Thanks!

Upvote 0

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I swear about halfway thru that video I saw that deadfall start to roll.......

I usually have several half-foot pieces of 4x4 lumber to wedge under my pry bar. Won't slip like a rock or whatever. Good idea to anchor a few feet of rope to them so you can tie them to something like your ankle.....hard to catch when you have one start flowing down stream.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Mikep691, This just shows how quick and effective a simple digging bar can be to do exactly what I am talking about. It can be used without any anchors cables or ropes. So, the weight of a bar vs the weight of a puller and the use of both. Which would you choose if you could only take one for the sole purpose of moving quickly to roll a rock. Would it be better to bring both? I'm thinking the bar is the way to go. And, the pullers are for the return trip bu then, big pullers are the way to go. Let's say I need to move along a river and sample quickly and get outa there. Wouldn't a bar be better weight to carry than a puller? Then, once I have an idea of the boulders I need to move, choose the puller? I am checking out wrecking bars and pry bars. Also, I like the Maasdam continuous rope puller for the 1/2" rope combined with nylon webbing with eyes for a slip knot for the actual boulder. That puller is 7lbs. and I can choose the length of rope. Maybe taking both, the bar, the puller the rope and a couple of pans, a small shovel and a few hand tools. And a metal detector. I think this is a formidable set of tools and would provide a way to move quick. Here's the set up. Rope puller, 24" or 36" bar, Rope, 8' sling. This may be the minimum for a strong effective set. Heck maybe just the bar without the rope puller would do the trick. If I can move faster and have a light pack that would be the best. I need to prospect not mine at this time. I am leaning toward minimal. Bar, shovel, hand tools, a couple pans....

Rope Puller.jpg
estwing wrecking bar 24in.jpg
half inch solid brade nylon rope.jpeg
nylon_sling_8ft.jpg
and, this little guy from Home Depot for $16
1 and 1half inch x16ft x1000lbs for 16 bucks.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is the real deal! That looks like a gas engine! That is an excellent winch setup!
Would be nice in a electric model as well.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out this adjustable pry bar!
Apex Tool Group 82220 GearWrench 18-Inch to 29-Inch Extendable Indexable Pry Bar
About this item
Features
Head locks in 14 positions
Grooved head profile provides additional traction
Head Indexible through 180° for greater leverage
Features six new styles in sizes ranging from 8inch to 33inch in length
Unmatched access by the head of the pry bar adjusted to 14 locking positions
Backed by a lifetime warranty
Exceeds ANSI requirements for proven strength
Extendable for added reach into tight spaces

Part Number82220
Item Weight5.4 pounds
Product Dimensions26.5 x 2 x 1.5 inches
Apex tool adjustable pry bar 4.jpg
Apex Tool 82220 GearWrench 18Inch to 29Inch Extendable Indexable Pry Bar.jpg
Apex tool adj pry bar 5.jpg
Apex tool Gear Wrench extnd pry bar 2.jpg
Apex Tool ext pry bar 3.jpg

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HAD TO HAVE IT! Amazon had the best price on the internet. Then this morning they had a 29-48" one for $62 used/acceptable with free shipping. I just couldn't resist!! It's 5.28lbs and pack-able at 29". I was already prepared to buy a pry bar at about 24". A big digging bar was out of the question. At 4' long plus the movable piece on the end which greatly improves leverage and usefulness. I just think this thing is a great addition to my tool set!! A lot of places sell this for over $100 plus shipping. This was an excellent deal. I really don't care if there's cosmetic damage. I feel kinda like a banged up pry bar is no big deal. I needed a tool to move big rocks and be pack-able. This is an excellent tool! :headbang:

GearWrench 82248 29 to 48 Inch Extendable Pry Bar.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw this method of moving a boulder with rope and a pole. It requires a yoke knot. So here's both vids....

And yet another way to move a boulder... the action actually starts at about 4min 15sec...

Another nice technique on lifting and moving...

OK Ratled, I found the flip flop winch video!

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the Flip Flop winch

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Putting the cart before the horse.. I hope you spent at least a little of your time sampling... If it was as easy as moving big rocks to get paid? tools and equipment and whatever clever doesn't even compare to what sampling can accomplish.. All to often I see men spend a grand for a gram... To each there own... Be smart find the gold let the gold dictate the effort.. To easy to get excited at possibilities then realize to late the reality..

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Putting the cart before the horse.. I hope you spent at least a little of your time sampling... If it was as easy as moving big rocks to get paid? tools and equipment and whatever clever doesn't even compare to what sampling can accomplish.. All to often I see men spend a grand for a gram... To each there own... Be smart find the gold let the gold dictate the effort.. To easy to get excited at possibilities then realize to late the reality..

Wise advice MM. I try to buy tools that have more than one purpose. If I had to buy this tool for the sole purpose of prospecting I would indeed wait. I can see this being useful for so much more than moving boulders. I have lots of tools. I work on my own truck, and equipment. Also, I don't have a pry bar. This tool fits the bill for a lot of reasons. However, I understand your point. It's proper you said this as many folks will be reading this and need to hear your words. I certainly do not want to endorse folks to go out and buy a whole set of tools and then go out to see if they even want to do this kind of thing. I have been doing this in a small scale with a sluice and pan. I do know what this kind of work entails. Those that don't shouldn't just go out and buy the tools that I am mentioning just because that's what I am doing. For anyone reading this, I am doing this because I feel after prospecting for a little while, this is something I wanted to begin doing. That is, hiking with gear I picked myself for a specific reason. I am choosing these tools because I like tools. If I have the right tools to do what I need to do I feel motivated. When I feel that I can accomplish the job I am setting out to do I feel the only weak link is my imagination. Now, I am waiting for the winter to be over and some warmer weather. I think I'm ready with what I have wanted as my set up for now. Thank you all for your input and for sharing your inventions! Let this thread not be over. I like the ideas you guys have for doing this work!
That being said, l am being careful in my decisions to "build" a kit for myself. And am very grateful for all the advice as well. I will be keeping things very simple. I am thinking this was the last thing I wanted. Some kind of leverage to pack in. So, I will have a rope, a couple of pulleys, this bar, a couple of pans, a few hand tools, a bucket and another bucket cut out with 1/2" hardware cloth as a classifier. I will carry at various times a small sluice and metal detector. All this should come in below 50lbs including water and food. This was very informative!! Thanks and keep this ideas and advice coming! TG

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.

Why can't I like this 4 times????!!!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right Vance! For me, this is a fun hobby. I have no delusions that I'm going to strike it rich and quit my day job! But, that bar is just way too cool. I couldn't pass up the sale on it. I'm sure I could have spent $15 on a bar. But, look at this thing! Its got some skills!! I'm having a great time with this hobby. This will only make it funner!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand you're packing in and need lightweight, etc. No offense intended at all but I'll almost bet you'll find that 5lb bars' limits REAL fast.....?????? Either way....please let us know how the bar works out even tho I have my doubts.......

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey oneguy, will do. Gear wrench has an excellent reputation. The website says the line of indexable prybars are stronger than regular prybars of simular size. The reviews I'm reading are saying the same. I am hoping to report this as well! I'll have it in a week or so.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been prospecting for 35 years. Most of it has been done with Gold Saver Pans from Roaring Camp and a sluice my Dad and I found in a log jam while prospecting. I still use the old girl when I go testing a new area. Sure, I've bought some new stuff, bars after the ones my Dad gave me were stolen from my claim, pry tools from Harbor, and hammers and shovels (when mine go deep six in the river...Don't ask). What I don't buy is expensive toys. It's easier for my partner and I to build what we need from stuff we have laying around. We've found that expensive, but generic equipment still has to be modified for every given area. What worked for the company that made it may not work well in our area. Other stuff we buy always has multiple uses like the generator. We both have had days without home power, sometimes many.

Point is, a $15 bar works just as well as a $50 bar with "moving parts". Maybe better when those parts that weren't designed to handle a 400 pound rock no longer work. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mikep691, agreed, however, I dont want to lug all the weight. I'm paying for light gear. Weather or not it works and is durable is yet to be seen. Chances are good it will be. Soon to know!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tahoegold,
The shorter the lever the more you will need to use your muscles/body. Be careful with your short bar as one can easily tear muscles such as the ones around the shoulder joint when moving 'heavy' things. Damage to the self can also be accomplished with longer bars especially when one tries to move increasingly larger boulders. At some point something has to give, be careful to not damage your shoulders, back, knees & etc.

The information on the simple rope & log devices is way cool (aka - illuminating)!................63bkpkr

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not slamming your decision for this bar, just saying it may not fare well when used for other prying that it wasn't intended and designed for. I too look forward to your review. I hope I'm wrong in my judgement, but any tool designed for a specific purpose, usually doesn't fare well when used otherwise. When I have to hike, I don't take my big Bertha bar, I use a 3' pry bar with one point and a pinch point other end. It's not too heavy and can fit in the pack. Not the best as it is limited to what it can do, but if you're just sampling, there's really no need to move boulders. Like Victor said, Let the gold dictate the tools, and how much it's worth.

I'll be sampling/prospecting a new spot outside of my claim this year. Packing light will be critical. But if it pans out, some heavier stuff can go in, and be left. It's so hard to get to, I'm confidant it won't be bothered. Would I be willing to pack in a $50-$100 tool and leave it behind? Likely not. Unless it breaks first time out, then it can join the shovels that I found are not very good swimmers (don't ask).

OK, so packing light.... $50 for a sliding, ratcheting 5 pound manhole cover remover that weighs maybe 100 pounds versus a 400 pound rock.... I got $20 says the rock wins.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is what I do. I have a very remote claim with HUGE boulders and I have to pack everything in on my back:

#1 and foremost: SIERRA BLASTER SierraBlaster - this is truly a game changer. I have used this for over 3 years and there is nothing like it on the market. Make big rocks smaller to move, get in really difficult locations.....

#2 if you are using a Sierra Blaster or any other method to break rocks, be forewarned.... any rocks that get split will have knife-like edges on them, so when I am working around those type of rocks (especially in wet areas), I wear Boggs boots, with Hockey leggins tucked into the boots. If you happen to slip and "rub" your leg against one of those newly broken rocks, most likely you will begin to aggressively leak blood. Leaking blood in remote canyons is not my idea of fun. Be really careful with broken rocks.

#3 Capstan Winch https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200452220_200452220 - very light weight and easy to set up and use. Has 5000 lb pulling power. For more power (and a more difficult lug in to the claim) I have one of these- Winches Plus - the modular winching system. It is a hydraulic winch that can be run HARD all day long without worrying about burning up a battery. I have over 4 full summer's of use without a hiccup of problems with it, and I use synthetic cable to ensure when I run my hands on the cable I don't end up leaking.... see #1.

#4. Winch Net- I use military helicopter cargo net- the netting is black/grey and has 6" pockets and is usually 20' across or so. Super durable and lightweight.... and best of all, when using it, no leaking. I usually cut out several different shapes out of the main net to accommodate different types of rock: 2x2, 3x4, 4x6, 8x8. When you throw it in the water, it half floats and half sinks, so it is really easy to hook one of the pockets around a point in the rock, or to use the winch hook to get a real tight grab on the rock. And did I mention that it is really light weight? I'm an older guy, so "throwing tire chains around" is not an option and the cargo net works awesome. They are kind of expensive, so I'd go in with someone and then cut it up in to different sizes for both of you. I've gotten 3+ years of use out of the nets rubbing against other rocks and my winching is very aggressive.

#5. When dealing with very water worn rocks, I don't screw around. Lots of times you will be putting the net around it and still the rock slips out. So to eliminate that issue with difficult rocks, I designed a "winch attachment point" which is basically a 6" long piece of 3" channel. On the webbing part of the channel, I drill a 5/8" hole and with the channel laying on its back on a bench, I weld a piece of rebar to the inner side of the channel, bend it up and weld the other end to the other side of the channel. So looking at it from the side, the rebar sticks up and out of the channel in a loop fashion, allowing a hook to be attached to it. When I get one of those rocks, I pull out my sds drill and drill a 9/16' hole into the rock to be moved and then I get a Simpson "Titen" rock bolt and pull out the ratchet and screw the titen bolt and the winch attachment point on to the rock and then I swiftly pull it away- no fuss, no muss. When the rock is where I want it, I unscrew the attachment point and reuse the screw on the next rock. Take a look at the shear specs on the titen bolts. Pretty impressive.

6. On some of the bigger (and I am talking REALLY) bigger rocks, I use a double sheave snatch block having attachment points at the top and bottom. The only place I have found those is from industrial applications and when I pack them in, they are the ONLY thing on my back. 75lbs worth. In "special" applications, it is worth the effort.

7. Since I have winch attachment points and I think of myself as a person who doesn't like to damage living things, I always use my winch attachment points on bedrock or other boulders. I NEVER strap up a tree as there is a strong possibility you will damage the cambium layer of the tree if your strap slips. So I ALWAYS screw my winch attachment points to non-living things for placing snatch blocks or whatever.

That's what I do. I think that covers it.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bar looks really cool, I would love one for my light weight setup. I have quite a few different bars, the best bar ive found I think is a railroad tie bar, but your very limited as it is about 5 feet long and weights about 20 pounds at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread