beach gold in kenai

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello everybody. so, i fell off the world for awhile AGAIN because a lot has been going on. my dad just got out of the army and we bought a house in clam gulch. we are still unpacking our stuff and fixing up things around the house like a dryer venting INSIDE the house. anyways, i have done some research about kenai and found out there are some areas with beach gold. Anyone have advice? (we have a gold cube.)

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on, I would go to where there is upland drainage to the beach,keep us updated I've been waiting for some info from that region

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
There is a road down to the beach from the cliff, drive north, there is a "restaurant" basically on the beach, eat the clam chowder. Wish I was there, good luck with the gold.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a microscope and look at the gold in the pan. A lot of fine gold can be recovered. Miners just don't see it. It is so fine it takes special techniques to recover. So fine it will go off the end of most sluice boxes.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks everyone! i live right off clam gulch rd so we could walk to the beach everyday. it is more of something to do than anything else.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU lucky Dog,good luck :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read a thread sometime in the past where someone was using a gold cube on the beach at Anchor Point. If I remember right they were on the NE end of the beach. I've seen that they park motor homes and campers on the beach up pretty close to the bluff on that end too.

If you have beach access where you are then that should have gold too. Look for patches (or seams of black sands when digging) because gold is naturally concentrated with them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check google with this query "beach placer Kenai Peninsula". I just now looked and a lot of info is to be found there. I think the placer at Anchor Point is the one Vance in AK mentioned in his above post.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple friends of mine prospected all the public sites across AK several years ago. The Kenai beach gold (with a Gold Cube just like you!!) was their top producing location!!

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just went for a walk on the beach. I decided to bring a pan along just to see if i could get something. Got one fly poop from not even a pan of material from the surface. 1521264902821852883595.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just went for a walk on the beach. I decided to bring a pan along just to see if i could get something. Got one fly poop from not even a pan of material from the surface. View attachment 1565233

That one "fly poop" is a nugget compared to Oregon beach gold or for that matter compared to much of the gold I find here in Arizona. If ya got decent weather you need to put your cube to work.:icon_thumleft: By the way it is easy to miss/lose the really micro gold when washing out the black sands so when panning your gold cube concentrates it is best to pan small quantities of maybe a tablespoon or two and not just once.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and classify the heck out of it!

ProspectorAlex, I’ll be up visiting Kenai this summer (late July, early August I expect). I’d love to meet up with you and your dad! Yes?

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and classify the heck out of it!

ProspectorAlex, I’ll be up visiting Kenzie this summer (late July, early August I expect. I’d love to meet up with you and your dad! Yes?

Yep. That piece looks to be about plus 50 mesh and probably much of the gold you will find will be minus 100 mesh as will most of the black sand if it is similar to Oregon beach sand.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Sorry, landlubber w/no gold anywhere close but like to read about you gold miners. Question, how many yards of material do you have to process to come up with an ounce of that fine gold?
I panned one pan at a tourist stop near Mount Rushmore w/the kids once. One pan took me like 15 min.s until the old (80 or so) man who owned the place came over and said "Here, let me finish that for you" and 2 min.'s later I had 2 or 3 specks and a few garnets. I asked him if a man could make wages panning for gold and he said he could, but he'd been doing it for 60 yrs.
I was panning in a stream you could straddle and the water was cold enough to hurt your teeth and this was first wk. of Sept. I figured the miners and trappers who worked in that cold water earned every nickle. Good luck.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too true about the cold water. Will post a pic of the beach next time i go. About 3 feet of ice. Brrrr. BTW, i am not expecting ounces, i do this for fun, the gold is only extra.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear from you Alex. Sounds like you are doing well. Say hi to mom and dad. We’ve missed your posts.

I just looked back in time. Nearly five years and you’re still at it. I shudder when I think about what you must have put your parents through. I loved your enthusiasm then and it hasn’t stopped.

You were a fine example of a young gold prospector at ten. I imagine now you’re a real sourdough. Keep up the good attitude (which I know you have. But we all kinda promised your mom and dad you’d be ok being a gold prospector. )

Last edited:
OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple friends of mine prospected all the public sites across AK several years ago. The Kenai beach gold (with a Gold Cube just like you!!) was their top producing location!!

Hi. That would be awesome. My grandpa will be here around then but i am sure we will be able to work something out.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi. That would be awesome. My grandpa will be here around then but i am sure we will be able to work something out.

Ok, I’ll reach out when I know the exact dates we will be around. We are doing a 3 month journey from Colorado to AK :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread