REI says stake a mining claim...

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They located a 660 foot lode mining claim in non mineral lands in Utah.

The first law of mining in Utah.

Utah Code
Page
Title 40. Mines and Mining
Chapter 1

Mining Claims
40-1-1 Lode claims -- Size and shape -- Discovery necessary.
A lode mining claim, whether located by one or more persons, may equal, but shall not exceed,
1,500 feet in length along the vein or lode and may extend 300 feet on each side of the middle
of the vein at the surface, except where adverse rights render a lesser width necessary. The end
lines of each claim must be parallel. No location of a mining claim shall be made until the discovery
of the vein or lode within the limits of the claim located.

Any questions?

Heavy Pans

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Been in REI a few times. Size the equipment, go home and buy it elsewhere online for 20% cheaper.

The only thing I'd consider buying there is a razor for the "women" who work there. Lord knows the legs of one who tried to help me with climbing gear hadn't seen one in decades.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They located a 660 foot lode mining claim in non mineral lands in Utah.

The first law of mining in Utah.

Any questions?

Heavy Pans

I have a question, are there any laws on filing a mining claim on false pretenses on non mineral land?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say let them claim every acre!

Lets math this for a sec... If they claim all 1.3 million acres it will cost them about $15 million to file claim plus another $2 million for corner posts and whatnot. This does not consider the immense cost of manpower to plat those posts. Then there will be $1.5 million annually to file assessment. This does not include the cost of paperwork, postage and manpower to manage all this.

The enviro groups will pretty quickly go broke even if they all pool together. I plan to sell popcorn to this show. If they file over a piece of ground that happens to have gold on it, I will file over them and take it because every one of these claims is an illegal claim.

Shovel on Hippies! :hello2:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably wont go anywhere, But in Montana there are whole sections of unpatented mining claims held in trust by a group called
MONTANA ENVIRONMENTAL TRUST GROUP LLC Montana Environmental Trust Group (METG) under the guise of so called mine cleanup

Last edited:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Reading some of the comments. Those people are so far out there, it's unfathomable. One person was complaining that the land had been violated for taking pictures of it.

What kind of ultra enviro nutcase do you have to be for that???

OP
OP
R

RobertF

Jan 19, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reading some of the comments. Those people are so far out there, it's unfathomable. One person was complaining that the land had been violated for taking pictures of it.

What kind of ultra enviro nutcase do you have to be for that???

The few REI posts I see on FB are always an interesting mix, ranging from real down to earth to holy moly how much bad peyote and acid did you do???

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The funniest thing to me was that they were using a climbing rope to measure the distance. You're telling me that two "experienced" outdoors people didn't have a GPS on them. B.S.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They can't even get in there without getting stuck in a ditch. They won't get much done before search and rescue are called at that rate.
Their biggest enemy is their own driving skills! I love it.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole blog is absurd , dont they have anything better to do.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no , no they don't

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess they figure the tactic is less self sacrificial then sitting in a tree or chaining themselves to a locked gate.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole blog is absurd , dont they have anything better to do.

Apparently not. The authors states her life is just driving around the country. Typical millennial hippy losers. consume, consume, consume, produce nothing but hot air and deride everyone else who actually works and produces a product or provides for a family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread