Had fun today!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave a gold panning class to the children actors on the Les Miserables tour. Had three around 5-6 years old. The other two had a math test to take. I first demonstrated by panning out some concentrate mixed with blond sand to show how tiny gold can be. Then it was the kids turn. The little kids panning technique was atrocious, but they managed to keep the gold in the pan, and got to take the gold home. I think the boy caught the fever, as he's seen the black sands on the beach in his backyard and didn't know that they might have gold in them. The teacher loved it as she was just teaching the kids about density of various things and this was a practical example.

For paydirt, I mixed up 1/2 teaspoon of hematite tailings, and about 4-5 teaspoons of panned out blond sand. I added 2 pieces of #20+ to the mix. That way the gold was larger than the black sand and would rule. It stood up well to the mishandling of the pans by the kids.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool, well done Cap!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a thank you card from the kids today!

IMG_3129.JPG

Errrr... rats it rotated!

Zaroc

Aug 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool! I wish I would have known. I could have helped out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread