63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting that the flow of the NFAR is holding steady at 2000 CFS with small surges above that value and the daytime temperatures at the Royal Gorge Ski area are between 50 to 60 degrees with night time temperatures above freezing. Hmmmmmm. But it is still too early for a melt off of all the snow as well, more snow could still hit in late spring to May. This is a bit like the Stock Market, a guessing game with limited guidance. Let's not get our hopes up as they could easily get covered with more white stuff.............................63bkpkr

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It had been really nice here in the valley the last few days. It feels like summer and has been dipping into the low 80's. More rain to come thought it looks like.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Asmbandits,
Thank you for that most interesting input, at what elevation are you?

I just checked the conditions at Royal Gorge 66 F with night time lows of 35 F, while the NFAR is running at 2260 CFS again with the day to night time up and down swings. The five day forcast for RG looks to be the same temperature ranges with no snow or rain forcasted yet.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
south yuba at 1100 and falling

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this niceness this past week, and the truck running better, I've decided a recon trip to Meat Creek will happen Easter Sunday. It's kind of tradition as my claim was located five years ago on Easter. My new chainsaw and just small tools will make this trip. I probably won't even get the pan wet.

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rivers are running pretty high be careful out there !!!! More Rain coming at the end of the week

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was too much thick, white, icey stuff on the road to my claim yesterday so I didn't make the last half mile. A warm, wet system comes in next weekend so it should melt off that nastiness. Next trip will be in three weeks.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its way too early to be Certain of just What is going to be happening "out there" but it is fun to keep track of and Dream!...........63bkpkr

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the next 10 months, I find more and more tools of the trade residing in the back of my truck. It's mostly the stuff that ain't afraid of the rain, but it's all stuff that is needed. I can be loaded up and on the road in under an hour. It takes me longer to put up the tent than to load a weekend's worth of gear and beer. After that first successful drive to the claim, it's game on for nearly every other weekend through October. They say this weekend's storm could be the last one for a month. That may not be so good for the water needs, but it is good for early spring mining.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike691, IF the weather forecasters were able to accurately judge what the weather would be that would be stupendous especially for a month out! Alas it has been my experience that there are times when their abilities fall short for even the next day's actual weather but, they keep trying. Winter weather can be deadly especially when a person is working in the mountains along rivers, I tend to not play there in the winter. On top of the mountain I've skied and snow camped but usually not down in the canyon especially in the upper regions of any canyon. That being said my first ever trip into the NFAR was in February of 1963 going in on the Green Valley Trail on the Alta side. I consider that I was lucky to have survived my choices that day however, the river was an awesome beast with wall to wall water, milk chocolate brown color, roaring with boulders bouncing on the bedrock. I was hooked on the areas power and beauty so I've never stopped going in along the NFAR in the summer.

calnatv, that is an interesting water flow site! I took a quick look at it, the difference between the data and the two sites would seem to be the choice of the X & Y axis of the chart as the Cal Current River Conditions graph shows a milder up and down rate of the daytime to night flow rates. Both graphs say the snow is melting as the river flow is staying consistently high with the steady undulating day to night flow swing. The Cal CRC charts are easier to
use/locate a specific river than the USGS site.

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
cottonwood creek is a steelhead green color. snow is melting, but not too rapidly. doesnt look like we will get any humdingers this year. tributaries should be whats on the menu right now...when those dry up it will be the larger creeks. for me the water is a hindrance, but ive learned to work around it. beep beep.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it just rained good for about 36hrs straight. South yuba is at 13k and climbing

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was quite the nasty experience driving over Donner at 5am yesterday morning. I'm not sure which is worse, driving in the dark through sheets of rain not being able to see anything or, driving after dawn through sheets of rain not being able to see anything. Either way, I had to check my drawers after it let up....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions