Geology degrees and knowledge.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon to all, so as I sit pondering if I will ever have enough of a knowledge base to prospect for gold properly I turn to audience once again. I have for a better part of two years watched countless videos on rocks and minerals. Most on you tube but other sources as well that are available on the Internet if for no other reason than availability. I have learned a lot but not enough and will continue to learn both on the net and in the field when possible. My big question how many of the miners here are certified or have been doing this for a really long time.I am impressed by most of you on this site by the way.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Short version: A basic understanding of geology helps.

Long version:
Basic geology helps you understand what you are seeing. It also helps tell if there is more or less potential for gold.
So in some way, it allows for more interpretation and perhaps more effective sampling.

This is especially true in an area like mine, where has been no historic mining documented for the last 500+ years. (other then limonites for iron)
Greenfield exploration, in a sense.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, you're about to know. you think all I'm doing is gold mining.I'm now an interdimensional engineer.
development takes time, planning, people, resources. regardless of how much money/gold you got.

I know things you couldn't comprehend. you'd get a big head ache. obviously my last post was way over your head.
maybe I should have said "kinetics" is a poorly understood science. geology has more to do with rock types and chemistry than structural and mechanical physics.
yeah some try to explain how things form, but fail terribly. said "rules" aren't very solid.
anything of any real "practical application" I wouldn't put out too freely. knowledge can be very valuable. and sometimes dangerous.

there is such a thing as "disruptive technology" and "disruptive intelligence".
I have a lot of work to do.
fringe, you have no idea.

well, it was a question about geology..and you dive right into discrediting it...and then off into other subjects... No, real argument against having knowledge of geology and its relevance to prospecting for gold or any valuable deposit.

Followed by insults and inflated ego.

Like I said when you change an industry you'll get the notice you deserve. Until then it's all talk.

Again how geologic formations are created is very well understood. Tested ,predicted and repeated. Reviewed by peers. There are schools teaching it students learning it and a very vibrant worldwide industry reaping the rewards.

Go take your Advil. You have a lot of work to do.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
don't try to be the grown up goldwasher. please point out where I was insulting with an inflated ego.
really that sounds like you, satirical too. you talk crap about people in pm's all the time, if only the mods knew.

and you're taking things I've said out of context, I've never attempted to "discredit" geology.
read my posts and properly understand them pls.

Well, let us know when you turn a well working profiting industry on its ear.

Also take note of how you ignore all those facts....

this was your first response to me. discriminate much.
what I have "adds" to the field of geology. it doesn't disprove much of anything.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+-*
don't try to be the grown up goldwasher. please point out where I was insulting with an inflated ego.
really that sounds like you, satirical too. you talk crap about people in pm's all the time, if only the mods knew.

and you're taking things I've said out of context, I've never attempted to "discredit" geology.
read my posts and properly understand them pls.

Well telling people that they can't understand your superior knowledge would be one part.

Or that it would give me a head ache? lame

You have several times in previous thread shown that you don't quite understand geology in so far as how it is used in the present tense .

Claiming it is poorly understood in a thread where someone has a valid interest. I would consider that discrediting it. Telling people they don't really understand whats going on. Oh ok?

Going past Hydraulics, weathering, chemistry. All the things that add variables in the field. The practical things to understand. That matter today. Well, that's not going to help the miner with boots on the ground.

Again you get personal about it? I have THIRTEEN pages of sent messages. I have to empty my inbox often so I can answer pm's. The bulk of my out box messages are replies to messages sent to me.
I have like four with you. Not once do I even mention another member.

So, it would have to be another member telling you what I said to them. I have talked to another members about a few of our resident name changing shape shifting trolls or bots. Funny thing is that's probably who you had a pm with.

Maybe conversed about Madmarshalls hysteria? Or spoke less than kindly about my previous sluice box company ruining employer. I don't feel bad about a thing I've said at all.

Especially about the trolls.

As far as your statement that I talk crap on other members "all the time" is just plain BS

I challenge the mods, you or those that I have conversed with and mentioned another member to go ahead and report it to the mods.

I was not discriminating in my response to you or using a double standard.

I disagree that you are adding to the field. Mainly because I haven't seen you add anything. I do think you ignore facts. Based on your previously presented theories as well as the recent ones in this thread.

Please try to put what you are saying about geology. Its relationship to small scale prospecting and a members question about how much a degree will matter, into context.

From my experience the guy sharpening the pencils writing down symbols to explain things that can't be seen in real time. Well, he typically isn't the guy out there getting all the gold out of the ground or marking out where it will be found.

You know the ones out there dealing with it in real time. The ones enriching the industry.

I'm pretty sure that the O.P. wasn't interested in kinetics..time space... deep physics or theories. Papers that have not been released, peer reviewed or applied to industry standards.
I think he wants to know about rocks and chemicals and "recent" geology that is understood very well. So, he can add to his practical knowledge.

Not rewrite the books

The fact that they are so difficult to understand that just reading causes headaches...oh,never mind typing that made me chuckle and shake my head.

I'm done with my lunch back to chores. This has gone far enough down the wormho..eh hem.. I mean borehole.

Like I told you before. Go for it figure it out what ever it is you are trying to figure out. Guess I'll have to wait on the "Interdimensional Geology for Dummies" version.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+-*The fact that they are so difficult to understand that just reading causes headaches...oh,never mind typing that made me chuckle and shake my head.

I'm done with my lunch back to chores. This has gone far enough down the wormho..eh hem.. I mean borehole.

Like I told you before. Go for it figure it out what ever it is you are trying to figure out. Guess I'll have to wait on the "Interdimensional Geology for Dummies" version.

no amount of logic or experience will help you as long as you use it to put down others. and talk trash, yes you are... your attitude sucks. correct that sh*t.
you'll be eating your words when I prove what I'm saying.

knowledge is power, power can be dangerous. <---get that srsly.

there wont be any "Interdimensional Geology for Dummies", dummy.

Last edited:

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
no amount of logic or experience will help you as long as you use it to put down others. and talk trash, yes you are... your attitude sucks. correct that sh*t.
you'll be eating your words when I prove what I'm saying.

knowledge is power, power can be dangerous. <---get that srsly.

there wont be any "Interdimensional Geology for Dummies", dummy.

You should leave these guys alone. I already noticed they lack the will to learn and that's usually the case with the older generation (hes probably the person who refuses doing it the more efficient way because hes been doing it his way for the past 50 years). If you were such a good miner wouldn't you be retired by now instead of working in the gold mining industry? Or at least in the conex/office.....

Also landmatters doesn't have all the information. Doesn't even have 25% of the links I have researched in the past two weeks. Thought I would prove these people wrong after they called me a liar and that I didn't know how to use their website..... Been comparing my links and the website for the past week and these guys are jokes saying this is a educational tool...

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should leave these guys alone. I already noticed they lack the will to learn and that's usually the case with the older generation (hes probably the person who refuses doing it the more efficient way because hes been doing it his way for the past 50 years). If you were such a good miner wouldn't you be retired by now instead of working in the gold mining industry? Or at least in the conex/office.....

Also landmatters doesn't have all the information. Doesn't even have 25% of the links I have researched in the past two weeks. Thought I would prove these people wrong after they called me a liar and that I didn't know how to use their website..... Been comparing my links and the website for the past week and these guys are jokes saying this is a educational tool...

It could be beneficial to us all if you would share the (missing) links for what you have found. This forum is all about gold including helping others with methods, etc. including existing mapping of known areas, it's nature, habit and how best to recognize those and then recover it.

Last edited:

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It could be beneficial to us all if you would share the (missing) links for what you have found. This forum is all about gold including helping others with methods, etc. including how best to search for and recover it.

Working on collecting each state database as we speak. Almost have all the states in the West, then Ill jump over to the East. Some of the publications reports you might have to pay for but some are free to browse/read.

Ill work on finding the public library databases once I'm finished putting these together. Trying to find the ones that are mostly free to use and would have the information not related to the sites you use.... Also it might be awhile because I don't get paid to do this research for other states. Just mine......

Example: Information on my state
https://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and...shington-geologic-survey-publications-catalog

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one thing down pat in life with some certainty. I do believe everyone is intelligent in one thing or another. Not one person knows everything and some know less than others. Eventually all our questions will be answered but not now. We do have a common interest here and should help each achieve our goals. I enjoy the banter as much anyone but don't really want my thread locked. Thank you all for your helpful information .

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My attitude changes based on who I'm dealing with. No apologies will be given in that respect. Pay attention and you will see it parallels the attitude thrown my way.

look I want to hear the theory and how it applies. with some examples. Same as last time you brought up your theories.

Not the whole burlaps sacks and fish oil work and if you don't believe it it's cause you are stupid b.s. that usually follows.

I was snarky about the subject matter... makes smart ass comments and challenge for some more depth and explanation.

I did not discredit the theories based on what color socks you wear or that I don't like avatars whos name start with "C"

Be as swervy about it as you wan't you called me stupid because I disagree. I have the right to disagree. You don't have the right per forum rules to call names ,Insult for the sake of it... correct my **** eh... Get a grip there fella. it's supposed to be an informational discussion...you have been extremely short on usable info.. It has nothing to do with what you believe my comprehension level is.

As far as waprospecting goes same thing your a new dude you just want to talk down on something because you want to. You don't like mlm fine don't use it. There is no claim that it has every detailed quad map available and localized data that is archived to the sight. that does not take away from the huge amount of data available. That is used by thousands of amateurs and professionals daily.

I would love to see your comparisons of what you have found and what isn't on MLM please do show us all of your research and findings it will be very interesting. By the way you can always request for info to be added it happens.

In the mean time if you want to keep posting here I suggest you cool it with the attacks nothing that Clay or I has said or done deserves it. The comments have not been a contribution to the forum please bring some actual substance if you can. In the meant time you trooping troopers.

Last edited:

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
look I want to hear the theory and how it applies. with some examples. Same as last time you brought up your theories.

Not the whole burlaps sacks and fish oil work and if you don't believe it it's cause you are stupid b.s. that usually follows.

I was snarky about the subject matter... makes smart ass comments and challenge for some more depth and explanation.

I did not discredit the theories based on what color socks you wear or that I don't like avatars whos name start with "C"

Be as swervy about it as you wan't you called me stupid because I disagree. I have the right to disagree. You don't have the right per forum rules to call names ,Insult for the sake of it or tell me to what was it eat ****?

As far as waprospecting goes same thing your a new dude you just want to talk down on something because you want to. You don't like mlm fine don't use it.

I would love to see your comparisons of what you have found and what isn't on MLM please do show us all of your research and findings it will be very interesting.

In the mean time if you want to keep posting here I suggest you cool it with the attacks nothing that Clay or I has said or done deserves it. The comments have not been a contribution to the forum please bring some actual substance if you can.

I already sent some people that information in pm and if you want your state before I gather all the information send me a Pm (Ill find a database just fine that's easier to use and has more information on it). Like I said, I already know it doesn't have all the information because I have typed in reports and nothing shows up on that site. Very little shows up under Washington State compared to what I have found on the net. Posted a linked above which MLM doesn't provide most of those reports...

It's your rude know it all comments that some of these people don't like. Also, most of the time when you read your comments its like you are talking down to the person.

Ill post a thread when I have time to collect all the links.

Good luck with the ban process... I don't discredit peoples work without trying it or researching it for myself. Might be new to the site but I go on longer and farther hikes than you could even go on. I bet you don't even prospect in places you can't drive a vehicle to. Remember one of the members dreading a 1 1/2 mile hike lol.... I also bet if you went on one of my 30 mile camping trips you couldn't even make it halfway. Usually by the end we don't have food or water.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I already sent some people that information in pm and if you want your state before I gather all the information send me a Pm (Ill find a database just fine that's easier to use and has more information on it). Like I said, I already know it doesn't have all the information because I have typed in reports and nothing shows up on that site. Very little shows up under Washington State compared to what I have found on the net. Posted a linked above which MLM doesn't provide most of those reports...

It's your rude know it all comments that some of these people don't like. Also, most of the time when you read your comments its like you are talking down to the person.

Ill post a thread when I have time to collect all the links.

Good luck with the ban process... I don't discredit peoples work without trying it or researching it for myself. Might be new to the site but I go on longer and farther hikes than you could even go on. I bet you don't even prospect in places you can't drive a vehicle to. Remember one of the members dreading a 1 1/2 mile hike lol.... I also bet if you went on one of my 30 mile camping trips you couldn't even make it halfway. Usually by the end we don't have food or water.

The "Plat maps" for the "Metes-and-bounds" go way back in time in many of the 29 "States" to at least 1846 with the "Instruments and Methods" of the day 'Attainable accuracy in observations on Polaris, the Sun and the stars within the equatorial belt'. There where "Index errors" that where part of the "Field-note tablets". This is not something most "Miners" deal with at all.

Thank you everyone for your posts.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldwasher.

stop trolling with the videos it wont work this time we don't care, believe what you want, go away and don't forget your Xanax.

if I offend those trying to flip claims, sorry.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol flipping claims.

can't be on subject so make one up...as usual

It was meant to be inspirational.. Don't stop believing :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread