Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Geology degrees and knowledge.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    110 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Geology degrees and knowledge.

Good afternoon to all, so as I sit pondering if I will ever have enough of a knowledge base to prospect for gold properly I turn to audience once again. I have for a better part of two years watched countless videos on rocks and minerals. Most on you tube but other sources as well that are available on the Internet if for no other reason than availability. I have learned a lot but not enough and will continue to learn both on the net and in the field when possible. My big question how many of the miners here are certified or have been doing this for a really long time.I am impressed by most of you on this site by the way.

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4026 times
    Prospecting
    Been in and out of mining for the last 20+ years. I guess you could say I am certified since I have my 5000-23 papers through MSHA. Work in mining as a day job while looking for a big strike to work for myself.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1717 times
    Prospecting
    I grew up around mining. For family picnics we would take pans a sluices instead of lawn darts and volleyballs. As a teen my stepdad worked on a large dredging project in Montana so I got to play on a big cutterhead dredge, 24" suction pipe, 6' cutterhead. Gold fever never faded and I built my first dredge about 30 years ago. Now I have a separate outbuilding just to hold all my mining junk. I buy and sell used mining gear and run guided dredging trips on the side. Certified? They don't make a piece of paper that covers what most of us do. Some of us are certifiable
    Last edited by Bonaro; Mar 31, 2018 at 07:44 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    110 times
    I would like to clarify my meaning. A piece of paper is not what I really meant. I really meant to what degree is being knowledgable about geology is going to make a person a better gold and gem miner. I know seat of the pans field experience and knowing what to look for is paramount to success.
    gold tramp and Aufisher like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10867 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Hmmm.. I bet more gold has been found by people without hanging papers than by "certified" geologists.

Not that geologists don't find deposits. Seems like most I've ever met are in a different field.

Interesting how in most industries its a small percentage that go out and really get dirty in remote areas ,and enjoy the rugged aspect.

However there are millions of "laymen" with vast serious knowledge. Who chase and seek knowledge. About geology and shiny heavy rocks. Got hooked when they were young and never gave it up.

They go out and take part in finding millions of dollars in wealth every year!! They never set foot in a geology class.

Just sayin'

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1717 times
    Prospecting
    I hesitate to call myself an expert because I dont like to beat my own drum. However, I have been actively gold mining for a long time and I have dredged in just about every western state and Alaska. Im not that much of a hard rock miner but I have done just about any kind of placer mining you can imagine and I can compete with the best of them.. That said...I have near zero formal training in Geology. What little I know I have gained by reading books and watching video. I have been mining is Washington for the last 30 years so I am familiar with local geology. I do wish that I had taken some formal training

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    110 times
    I have always looked up to self taught people in any field of expertise. I was just curious about about both self taught and formally edumacted people if they persued the hands on of gold or other mineral mining.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2054 times
    Prospecting
    70 years old now. Been mining 40 + years. As a very young child I learned about rocks and ore from my grandfather who was an avid prospector and did his own assays....and had placer claims. I studied geology at a major University and started prospecting/mining in my 20s. Geology helps one understand what he sees out in the field, but it does not replace hard work. I would say that the geology is extremely helpful in making determinations on a particular prospect. I am sure there are many miners out there today who have found more than I...but one thing is certain: the gold bug intrigues those who decide to walk the walk and talk the talk. I can think back to being 5 years old and my gramps showing me ore and discussing his assay work with me. He was a big believer in night time prospecting with a black light out in the field. It was all about mineralization! Today it is about knowing Laws and CFR's etc.

Bejay

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    110 times
    Yo Bejay did gramps use a black light to show where fluorite was

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by blackchipjim View Post
    Good afternoon to all, so as I sit pondering if I will ever have enough of a knowledge base to prospect for gold properly I turn to audience once again. I have for a better part of two years watched countless videos on rocks and minerals. Most on you tube but other sources as well that are available on the Internet if for no other reason than availability. I have learned a lot but not enough and will continue to learn both on the net and in the field when possible. My big question how many of the miners here are certified or have been doing this for a really long time.I am impressed by most of you on this site by the way.
    What types of prospecting are you thinking of doing?

Aug 2015
    1027 times
    I'm definitely certifiable. Does that count?

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep691 View Post
    I'm definitely certifiable. Does that count?
    This is humor right?

In the light of humor is a "Certificate for patent application on Mineral survey NO. ____" clearly "Certifiable"?........LOL
    Also "Certificate of Transcript", "Certificate of Approval" and "Certificate of Surveyor".......clearly "Certifiable"......LOL.
    Good one mikep691 and thank you.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    1717 times
    Prospecting
    I have always looked up to self taught people in any field of expertise. I was just curious about about both self taught and formally edumacted people if they persued the hands on of gold or other mineral mining.
    Self taught people will tell you to look for gold in the crumbly reddish white stuff with crystals especially when its close to the green grease rock.
    Edumacated people will say that gold is usually indicated in the decomposed auriferous quartz veins which show iron sulphide or oxide intrusion especially in the contact zone with serpentine schist
    Its the same explanation...you just have to pay attention to the big words

us
    Jun 2014
    East Coast
    156 times
    Prospecting
    As someone who went to college for geology i will say that most of what you are taught in undergraduate geology courses is big picture stuff. We did not have classes in undergrad that i would say specifically help with prospecting for gold.

From this I am always trying to formulate ideas on how the gold in my area formed and its relationship to geology of the region which could all be considered big picture stuff. In the end to prove those ideas it still all comes down to sample, sample, sample, sample sample, reformulate my idea from those samples cause my first, second and third hypothesis are usually wrong, then sample sample and sample some more. Very slowly a picture will start to come together on what is going on.

And honestly my best gold finds were found due to luck, and going to where big gold has been found before, and sampling everything. My best honey hole shows almost no gold at the surface, very little under the cobble and ontop of the clay (which a lot of people would stop at cause the assume it acts as a false bedrock). All the gold was under the clay right on top of bedrock.

So basically you dont need a geology degree to be successful, you need to read about the history of gold in your area, sample a lot, perseverance and document everything. It doesnt hurt to read up on the geology of the area as well. I will also say how you sample will depend on the equipment you plan to use, if you are using a dredge then you need to punch sample holes with the dredge and document how long you ran and the amount of gold recovered.

Hope this helps.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2054 times
    Prospecting
    Yo Bejay did gramps use a black light to show where fluorite was
    A little bit of topic thread stray; but briefly:
    He was not just a gold prospector. He most often focused on major mineral deposits that he felt might attract mining companies. So any fluorescent mineralization attracted his attention: as many were indicators of other associated minerals of value. His method was to walk around at night with a highly intense black light wand, (powered by a battery pack attached to his belt)..( I have it now). He would gather and bag samples that fluoresced; and place markers so he could find them during the day. Each bagged sample would correlate by number to the stake/marker on the ground...(this was long before GPS). He would then explore further for minerals that accompanied the formation of valuable deposits. I used to be fascinated with all that he did. He was not really a miner in the sense of the "WORK" REQUIRED but more a prospector wanting to find valuable deposits that could be sold to those who wanted to extract the valuable minerals. Probably in todays world we would think of him as a internet miner: research...locate....prospect....and find a mining company to sell to. He was not a rock hound....and I never saw a rock that was gathered merely for beauty.

Bejay
    Aufisher likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links