Looking for advice on sluice

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m planning on buying a sluice for some weekend prospecting and came across this one for sale locally. It’s a gold king model. Looks to be at least 50”x10 Looking for anyone that might have used this model or similar before. What questions if any should I ask when buying this used. He wants $100 for it which seems like a good deal compared to what I’ve seen online. Any info would help. Thanks 67CFEAB3-42C4-437A-B2E1-3791D67C6888.jpeg C9D4E732-EBE9-407F-91CC-C2A2ECAE250B.jpeg

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as a Keene , Proline, Jobe or Royal. Perfect beginner sluice good shape for the price. You can add miners moss to it if you want.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same as a Keene , Proline, Jobe or Royal. Perfect beginner sluice good shape for the price. You can add miners moss to it if you want.

$100 seems like a lot though. Offer $50. When he says no, say that’s cool, call me if you change your mind in the next xx days. I bet he’ll call!

If he doesn’t, go buy a Le Trap or Angus Mackirk or Grizzly Goldtrap. All better beginner sluices than that hunk of metal anyway!!

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MC -

If that sluice doesn’t work out call Bill at Carolina Prospectors - great company in your area.
Bill will definitely be able to help you get started.

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m planning on buying a sluice for some weekend prospecting and came across this one for sale locally. It’s a gold king model. Looks to be at least 50”x10 Looking for anyone that might have used this model or similar before. What questions if any should I ask when buying this used. He wants $100 for it which seems like a good deal compared to what I’ve seen online. Any info would help.

You can actually make a sluice from Homedepot or Lowes for less than $20.00. Super lightweight and there's youtube videos on how to make one.
Watched a video of a guy building a bazooka gold trap sluice but I forgot the price he said it was.

This was sorta like my first sluice before someone stole it. I had to dremel/grind both sides then add a feeder tray and some of that sluice rubber matting. Total cost was about $15 and I found gold with it but I also probably lost some. I do most of my time hiking and rockhounding so it was perfect for me because I could stuff it into a backpack.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/StealthFlow-24-in-Low-Profile-Downspout-Extension-4622/303522091

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$100 seems like a lot though. Offer $50. When he says no, say that’s cool, call me if you change your mind in the next xx days. I bet he’ll call!

If he doesn’t, go buy a Le Trap or Angus Mackirk or Grizzly Goldtrap. All better beginner sluices than that hunk of metal anyway!!

Le Trap is hard to come by unless someone has it in stock. It Is a Jobe product now. Jobe is having major issues. They back order me on every order I place almost half the items I order. Also notice on websites that it is hard to get Angus anymore. The equal size Alaska Flare sluice is also more than $150.

Carolina Prospectors is out of stock on all Angus.

Notice Royal and Keene of the same size is an Average of $130 bucks without shipping.

A hundred bucks to show up and walk away with a sluice is reasonable. I would offer less say like $80.

It also has a handle Angus and Le trap do not Le Trap bends if you strap it to your pack.

Weight wise it is close to the weight of a Bazooka prospector. Not all that bad.

If you want something sturdy with riffles you can modify if you like to tinker and something that is pretty easy to set up in varying conditions.

An old school metal sluice is the way to go. They are also easy to turn into power sluices and when lined with v mat can be a clean up concentrator all in one box.

Fifty bucks would be a great deal.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2X on the Angus Mackirk....From big to small Mackirk traps em all :) 004.JPG

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop riffles are nice. I ran gold hog exclusively until I lost my matt in the floods last year.

Water came up more than six feet and swish gone.

Expensive to replace.

Faster sluice clean out is nice. But, really not a major break theough.

I think the O.P. just wanted to know if a metal stream sluice works.

They do and they work well. I just have to disagree that the recovery rate of other sluices is so much more that an older stream sluice is obsolete

I have to be able to catch super fine gold..wire, sponge quartz with gold. I get it all plus the big stuff.

Clean outs and pulling riffles is not that big of a deal.

Expanded with a few larger riffles over moss is an exceptional set up for recovery.

Couple pound difference is no biggie either.

Attachments

• 1523886947555.jpg
    1523886947555.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1523886964712.jpg
    1523886964712.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 1523886974603.jpg
    1523886974603.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 1523886992664.jpg
    1523886992664.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 1523887004575.jpg
    1523887004575.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a few Keene sluices like that I have modified for various purposes like Goldwasher mentioned. I really like my 4 ft Bazooka prospector sluice but it doesn't work well in low flow conditions, where a metal sluice with some expanded really shines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread