Lost Gold mine in Michigan’s lower peninsula? Ausable gold?

Taterade

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Barska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across this article today.
Pure Gold Awaits Anyone Who Recovers Michigan's Lost Mine

I look for forums on here that talk about but didn’t see any. So sorry if this was already mentioned.

Secondary question, I will only be miles away from the “lost mine” camping on the Ausable soon.
Has anybody had any success panning on the Ausable or tributaries of it?
Thanks for any tips.

Upvote 0

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard of the Alcona gold mine. You'll find threads here about it. I believe it's NOT lost, on private land, and wasn't ever really much of a mine,

I've found gold across much of northern Michigan now, but most all the waters are designated trout streams, and as such are off limits.

I haven't found gold in the AuSable, though I'm only a few miles from it. I won't find gold there, and I wont look either. I know many places I would go completely unnoticed. But not only is it a designated trout stream, it's a world known trout river, coveted by the the most ridiculous sort of tree hugging fly fishing yuppie kayak fools I've ever run across.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Ausable river, amd it's tributaries. They will no doubt punish you as severely as possible if you even fart near it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread