Crackdown in Babylon Volunteers wanted

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This state is pathetic..

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"It was already illegal before the national monument designation" That is a quote from the article and brings into question the validity of the statement, at least in my mind. If I am not mistaken then National Monuments are created from BLM or NFS lands which are open to prospecting barring existing claims. What was different here if prospecting was deemed illegal pre monument status?

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It was already illegal before the national monument designation" That is a quote from the article and brings into question the validity of the statement, at least in my mind. If I am not mistaken then National Monuments are created from BLM or NFS lands which are open to prospecting barring existing claims. What was different here if prospecting was deemed illegal pre monument status?

its being put in the management guidelines. Not all monuments have the same management plan. They are specifically disallowing panning. Any prospecting. Non commercial collection period.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I spoke to the local FS Supervisor [EFSG] about the so called illegality. He told me mining/prospecting/collecting had been illegal since 1929 . However, Congress had specifically spelled out that there was to be no sort of penalty for doing so ! Huh?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panning and Sluicing is Not mineral collecting that's where the sticking point is, there needs to be a distinction,
the FS is using California's use of their rock hounding rules that include panning,
to regulate a non-discretionary activity to hands and pans or not at all.
Gold panning and sluicing should be declared an existing use. its prospecting
You need to get something passed in California that say's non-motorized is exempt from all permitting
along with a prospecting description, pan, sluice, rocker box, recirculating equipment...
something that would have to be used other than mineral collecting that they use elsewhere for hands & pans bull*hit

they were never closed to prospecting. see page 87 (pdf,105) https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1506a-e/report.pdf
Lands in Angeles National Forest were withdrawn from mineral entry in 1928"*** to conserve the water resources
and to encourage reforestation of the watersheds" (Public Law No.578, S.4135-70th Congress);
withdrawn lands within the Wilderness study area, mainly on the west side, constitute about 4.5mi Sq(12km) (fig.19).
The law does not prohibit prospecting and allows entry to proven ore deposits but effectively discourages complex exploration methods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, when it goes from a wilderness study area to a National Monument and there is a new management plan... and the "public input" "stakeholder input" phases (formalities) have passed.

there can be "new rules" put in place. it will be interesting to see what happens.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the final nail is in the coffin already due to it's monument designation but some monuments allow special use permits and maybe, just maybe a special use permit for panning could be added to "preserve" it's historical usage. If the activity is restricted to the stream bed then there is no real disruption of natural occurrences.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's interesting that the miners without claims are supposedly disturbing the ground while the claim owners on approximately 2000 acres in the same area do not disturb the ground accourding to the FS guy being quoted. Is there some special reason for a brotherhood or association of miners that do not disturb the ground when they mine?

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty typical. Ive always thought from the beggining the "ban" on dredging and what was obviously coming down the road, the ban all forms of mining was going to get "interesting". Typical beacuse these people never think through their hairbrained selfish ideas. They will push forward no matter how obviously bad the idea or policy. So you want to keep people out of the forest for ridiculous reasons, but how do you do it? Man power is the obvious answere that they will overlook. You can make all the bs rules u want but if you arnt paying people to hike up in the mounatins and physically kick them out or write your ticket, it wont work will it?

So their solution? Ask people to do it for them for free! Lmao.. good luck with that. God California is so dumb!

I personally follow the rules pretty much..lol. But i also simply dont have the free time to devote to do any serious operation so im not really affected. I hope to one day be able to retire and do so if the legal climate has changed. But for people that want to dredge or whatever i would juat do it.. thats the only way. The more people keep actually adhearing to the restrictions the more cemented they become. They cant stop everyone no way. Even if there was just like a flash mob of dredges one particullar pre planned day. [emoji2]

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty typical. Ive always thought from the beggining the "ban" on dredging and what was obviously coming down the road, the ban all forms of mining was going to get "interesting". Typical beacuse these people never think through their hairbrained selfish ideas. They will push forward no matter how obviously bad the idea or policy. So you want to keep people out of the forest for ridiculous reasons, but how do you do it? Man power is the obvious answere that they will overlook. You can make all the bs rules u want but if you arnt paying people to hike up in the mounatins and physically kick them out or write your ticket, it wont work will it?

So their solution? Ask people to do it for them for free! Lmao.. good luck with that. God California is so dumb!

I personally follow the rules pretty much..lol. But i also simply dont have the free time to devote to do any serious operation so im not really affected. I hope to one day be able to retire and do so if the legal climate has changed. But for people that want to dredge or whatever i would juat do it.. thats the only way. The more people keep actually adhearing to the restrictions the more cemented they become. They cant stop everyone no way. Even if there was just like a flash mob of dredges one particullar pre planned day. [emoji2]

Flash Mob Dredge Day. That's either a Tshirt or the name of my new band.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flash Mob Dredge Day. That's either a Tshirt or the name of my new band.
It would make a great band name! "It"would work too. Be lunchtime by the time they even got word. After they drop their donuts and try to spring to action most would be packed up and leaving. I bet they wouldnt ticket more then 1%
If you want to win a fight with a bully u dont sit back and wait to get your ass kicked over and over. You bring the fight to them and they cave as all bullys do. Not to get political but Donald knows what im sayin..

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would make a great band name! "It"would work too. Be lunchtime by the time they even got word. After they drop their donuts and try to spring to action most would be packed up and leaving. I bet they wouldnt ticket more then 1%
If you want to win a fight with a bully u dont sit back and wait to get your ass kicked over and over. You bring the fight to them and they cave as all bullys do. Not to get political but Donald knows what im sayin..

call in enough false reports and they will start taking reports a lot less seriously.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions