Lost Gold Mine .... Captain Mountains Roswell N.M.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albuquerque morning journal. (Albuquerque, N.M.), 07 March 1911.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...mine&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=2

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting story. Roswell is some 40 to 50 miles SE of the Capitans but that area is noted for it's gold deposits. One of the closest towns is Lincoln, N.M. where Billy the Kid participated in the Lincoln County War before he was killed by Pat Garret near Ft. Sumner, N.M. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/murder-ignites-lincoln-county-war.

Native New Mexican so familiar with the history.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see 2 Leads in the Story. The Gold & the Old House sites.

000kkk.jpg

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see 2 Leads in the Story. The Gold & the Old House sites.

Those and small communities then and still now. Lincoln for example was the site of one episode of a tv metal detecting series. I can't remember the series name but they did find some spent bullets, etc. dated to the L.C. War period.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No historical mining claims that I could find there, only recent ones (newer than 1980). I wonder what ever happened with this site.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No historical mining claims that I could find there, only recent ones (newer than 1980). I wonder what ever happened with this site.
Federal files for mining claims only go back to 1976. The area does have mining claim history but you will have to visit the County Recorder in Carrizozo to find claims prior to 1980. They do have a minimal online recording search function but it doesn't go back as far as this story. Carrizozo is fun (if you like lots of wind and bad water) and very remote so plan on a few days to find the mining claim records.

I've spent months in that area at the Carrizozo recorder's office and prospecting. Nice people and good gold area but supplies are very far away... oh and did I mention the water is really bad? :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread