How good are your ore eyes? A challenge to you...

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Below I've given you three different ores from which the values have been determined by triple replicate assay by an umpire assayer.

Their grades are:

0.143 Au 0.12 Ag

2.4 Au 1.3 Ag

5.7 Au 1.7 Ag

Now here's the challenge, which one of those photos corresponds with which assay result? Mark your choice in the poll and I'll post the correct answer on Friday night.

one.jpg

2.jpg .

3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be 2,3,1 I don't want explain my reasoning because it is not based on geological experience .

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How good is the recovery rate on all three samples with gravity methods?
Is the recovery rate made by a chemical process in part?

If one is not going to use any process to recover values other then a gravity method is the "Fire assay" going to be the best testing process? Since most of the values could be 'Locked in the rock' or materials the "Fire assay" will show all values for sure.

This one picked sample number one as having a lot of values just because of all the iron that the eye could see. The "Fire assay" may show otherwise.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked 1, but the other two would have to be crushed and panned.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to ask is the intended target in sample 2 and 3 only the yellow material shown or is the whole rock sample the target?

The point of the post could be not to trust your eye's as the "Fire assay" will show all values up to the amount of the test being made.
The recovery process is also important factor as well to consider.

If the iron pyrite in sample 2 does not have much values in it there could be a lot of values just a few feet away from where the sample was found and the same is true with sample 3.

Forgot to ask was a metal detector used in picking out any of the samples? After all the metal detector should be able to scan / look deeper then the surface that the eye's can see.

Last edited:

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! So what is the composition of the 5.7 sample? The other question i have is of that 5.7 how much is free milling and how much is still locked in sulfides?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! So what is the composition of the 5.7 sample? The other question i have is of that 5.7 how much is free milling and how much is still locked in sulfides?
This is why this one voted for the more iron rock because this one hopes the gravity recovery rate is higher with that type of rock.
A crush and pan type of test should give some idea on gravity recovery rate with out some other process used. With other processes used can be a different matter altogether. The "Fire assay" will show all of the values locked in sulfides or not and if there is enough values per ton to go after.

If only one person out of 5 - 6 people guest right goes to show that a "Fire assay" is best at telling what is in a given rock / mineral sample.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why this one voted for the more iron rock because this one hopes the gravity recovery rate is higher with that type of rock.
A crush and pan type of test should give some idea on gravity recovery rate with out some other process used. With other processes used can be a different matter altogether. The "Fire assay" will show all of the values locked in sulfides or not and if there is enough values per ton to go after.

If only one person out of 5 - 6 people guest right goes to show that a "Fire assay" is best at telling what is in a given rock / mineral sample.

An assay is the only answer for determining the gross values in an ore. After that it's up to the miner to determine if their acceptable rate of recovery and their processing flowsheet.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An assay is the only answer for determining the gross values in an ore. After that it's up to the miner to determine if their acceptable rate of recovery and their processing flowsheet.
As a joke the little yellow cat is no longer going to say "Your Fired" instead will now say 'Get Fired Assayed'.........LOL
Thanks for making the poll SaltwaterServr.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have hit it good to hold an online job interview like this. LOL

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#2 looks like rich ore to me
A family member has seen iron sulfides like sample # 2 on the beach (AK) like this that was quite rich. The miners had to ship it all to Washington mills to have it processed at the time. Other iron sulfides near by had little values in it.

The new saying is 'Get Fired Assayed and don't worry about all the fish oil and burlap rap'..........:laughing7: lol.
Sorry just saying.

Is there enough of the material in sample 2 to off set the cost of a "Fire assay"?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread