which is better shaker screen or tromal

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for doing the first clasifieing and not wanting to miss any gold stuck to bigger rocks what would work better say a trommel 6 foot long and 16 inch dia or a shaker screen 2 by three feet? or other sizes I have half inch expanded mess that keeps asking me to make it into a tromal 4 foot by 6 foot so I can get the 6 foot long by 16 inch dia or 4 foot long by 20 inch diamiter IIRC one other thought was to havwe wash water on second half of longer trommel and then syphen nozzel the fines to the highbanker while carrying buckitrs of the dry fines from the first half cpourse might as well pipe all the fines to the highbanker. conversly a shaker screen or pane under water to wash off all the mater9ial from the gravals. but harder to shake rocks up hill out of a bath. thankyou for thoughts

Upvote 0

CyHawkGold

Oct 19, 2017
The Land Between Two Rivers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many of the bigger, production trommels have grizzlies and shaker screen decks w/water in line before the actual trommel tube.

You don't need six feet of open mesh to get the gold out on that small of trommel.

Maybe if it was 6' in diameter and you had 30' of barrel ahead of it, 6' of openings would be good.

Once the gold is knocked/washed loose from the dirt and rocks it will fall out immediately.

I wouldn't see the need for more mesh opening length than one diameter, maybe 1.25, over 1.5 would definitely be over kill.

Five diameters of trommel barrel before the openings w/water spray and tumbling bars should be plenty to knock loose any gold.

Now if you have more clay mixed in, the longer the solid tube the better.

Good luck

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeaFox, my disclaimer here is that I know nothing of what I’m talking about so here goes my thought -

For the gold to be washed from the daily raw feed stock of mixed sizes and shapes of rock and dirt the water must penetrate the mix of dirt, rock, clay and have enough time to work on it (dissolve the dirt). Feed rate through any system coupled with the quality of the soaking/washing/spraying/tumbling/physical surface scrubbing of each odd shaped rock will yield the highest percentage of gold removal from the daily throughput of either system.

Efficient soaking and washing to dissolve the dirt to its finest particle size should require quite a bit of water coupled to the amount of time allowed for physical scrubbing imparted by tumbling or shaking during the soaking/washing so the daily throughput will be as clean as its going to get. Again my disclaimer – what is the best way to soak and wash the feed stock to your sorting equipment? Will too much water cause problems? How many water spray nozzles and at each nozzle what is your pressure and are all the spray nozzles working? Angle of the equipment shaker/trommel, shake rate or RPM’s? It seems like all of these need to be adjusted for each system combined with the quality of the material being fed to the system, amount of dirt or clay or rock at each site, at any given time.

And I thought I had it tough panning a sample! My best wishes for success with your operation, choice of equipment, etc………………63bkpkr

OP
OP
S

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou both for your thoughts. my day jobs include working for a recycler. the crushed concrete tri product tromel is 6 dia and 10 feet for the first section ( half minus screen then 10 feet for the second section 2 inch minus and then overs go onto a conveyer to be picked clean of wire, garbage and wood to be used for tracking pad. the fall and the tumbling clean the material. its a dry process. our main tromal has a 30 foot long by 5 foot dia processes dirt product is 3/8th minus for land scapers. it levels out well also dry. maybe it would be better to go dor the shorter tube with bigger diamiter the system with syphen nozel pickup of the half inch minus would use most of the water flow frrom a 2 inch like with only a garden spray nozel shooting in in from the bottom end ... guess I could do both bigger diamiter and a 2 foot sold wall preescrub zone. since the mine is 360 miles from home their are size limits.

OP
OP
S

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyhawk rereading your post again part of the problem is that there is some clay not a lot but usually we toss it asside as unproductive. I had worrieed clay chunks going down the sluice would work like a gum erassor picking up gold that is already loose and caught in the mat part of my plan for this year is to have the sluice drop the treated dirt up hill of the mined spot so it can be more easliy recilimated. also thinking if the syphen nozel works good the water can help wash down fines to be pumped up to thew highbanker and so get double usae out of the water. the area is forest so the ground varies from damp to wet so guess the water washing is more importian than the gravel abrading the dirt off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread