Gold Prospecting in Wisconsin

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Garret Super Sluice/pans, Proline pans, Keene A-51 Sluice, Keene A-52 Sluice, Pyramid Pro Pan, Blue Bowl, Gold Cube, GoldHog Multi Sluice, GoldHog Stream Sluice, Grizzly Gold Trap - Explorer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all, first time posting. I've enjoyed reading a lot of info on here and decided to reach out and ask if anyone has any suggestions for places to go in Wisconsin to pan? I've read what little I can find online about the State and its general lack of gold. Apparently the creek coming off of Nugget Lake in NW WI and beach sand on Superior and Michigan are the primary places that have given up gold here. Most of the info I found online is not very recent though and it seems like people have definitely found some gold throughout the State. Some people seem to indicate that they have even found a decent amount (for here anyway lol). I am absolutely not asking anyone to give up their secret spots, but ANY info would be very much appreciated. I wish I could get west, but money and time-wise, I'm stuck in Wisconsin for now. I have bought a lot of pay dirt and a lot of equipment, I would like to use the equipment to get some of my own paydirt :) Thanks!

Upvote 0

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!

Gold can be found just about anywhere if you look. Nugget Lake is a good spot for both gold and maybe a diamond. You'll see a very fine white sand in the bottom of the pan that's called reidite. It's the diamond form of zircon, and found in only 4 places on earth, 3 of which are meteorite impacts. Gold is small and round, and doesn't stick to miller tables very well. The moraines from the polar ice cap moving south (it wasn't a glacier!), are also good spots to hit. Beaches along Lake Michigan south of Cleveland will also yield some. There's some pretty good nuggets and/or diamonds in the Kettle Moraine area for the detector. The St. Croix river also has gold. The dells of the Eau Claire river also has gold, but Marathon County stopped all prospecting and rock picking on county owned lands. There was also some found around Tomah.

OP
OP
BenArmstrong

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Garret Super Sluice/pans, Proline pans, Keene A-51 Sluice, Keene A-52 Sluice, Pyramid Pro Pan, Blue Bowl, Gold Cube, GoldHog Multi Sluice, GoldHog Stream Sluice, Grizzly Gold Trap - Explorer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much for all the info! I'll be out searching, hopefully I can find some of our WI gold this year. I live in the Madison area, so I'm also going to try some of the larger creeks (that aren't trout streams) in the area that have fast moving water. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a rumour that Marathon Co. has load deposits. Under red granite I think, supposed to be several hundred feet down. Commercial plans never went through as far as I know. Back when spot was around $1,900 there was talk of opening a shaft.

OP
OP
BenArmstrong

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, they are now seriously considering it again, as well as by Eau Claire. Wisconsin has recently changed its laws regarding metallic mining. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens in the future.

RGonarek

Jul 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben, I am also in the same boat as you in Wisonsin (east central) and have been to nugget lake and elm creek many times. I have as of yet not found anything larger then flour gold. I dont know maybe looking in the wrong places. I have also looking for a a partner to go with where we can learn from each other. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Bob

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello fellow cheese heads. I live in Wisconsin dells . I don't prospect here because the gold is tooo small and not enough of it for me.. if any of you guys have time off and can swing it. I am headed to my claim in California if you wanna go . leaving in a week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread