Good Gold Or Not?

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, we finally found a decent spot that isn't claimed yet. WP_20180516_10_32_58_Pro.jpg WP_20180516_10_32_58_Pro.jpg What do you all think? It is easy access. We worked for about 8 hours with a gold cube. It was easy classifying and shoveling. The only problem is a water shortage due to the snow melt water being gone now. Also, there are lots of black sands so you have to feed the cube slow. We were considering getting a claim and better equipment if it is worth it.(Couldn't figure out why the pictures were double posting)

Attachments

• WP_20180516_10_35_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180516_10_35_16_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • WP_20180516_10_34_55_Pro__highres.jpg
    WP_20180516_10_34_55_Pro__highres.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold is always goo.

But how much did you process to get that; then decided if it is worth it.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i am not exactly sure. maybe 2-2 1/2 yards? we just put stuff in a bin and filled it as needed.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
i am not exactly sure. maybe 2-2 1/2 yards? we just put stuff in a bin and filled it as needed.

OK, then next four questions.

First how many grams is it.

Second did you plan on doing this full time for a sole support income.

Third, did you want to break even this year.

Last, have your prospected around to see how much more you have around.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the gold cube is not really made for production,
since its fine gold do a cleanup often, guys doing beach mining with pure black sand
say they do a full clean up after 2 five gallon buckets. One cubic yard is like 45 mostly full buckets.
build a pond or find a way to get water to use a sluice or high-banker.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pictures show what appears to be less than a gram of gold or something south of $40 so less than $2/hour take per person assuming there were two of you doing the work. Probably not worth a claim unless you can do better or you just want to insure that you protect a spot that only you can mine legally. In times of better water availability, a sluice/beach sluice would allow you to run much more material in the same time frame...Just guessing that you are processing beach sands(?).

Good luck.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will take more then this to pay for some equipment. Could be more near by worth checking out.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
for 8 hours you could make more delivering pizzas

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
for 8 hours you could make more delivering pizzas
Good one and thanks for posting.

Say almost looks like your avatar has something on top or over the head. Kinda like this one's avatar cat has something over the top of the head......LOL :laughing7:
Like minds think alike......:laughing7: :headbang:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like good gold and if you don't stake a claim there someone surely will. At least it will be yours to prospect fully and to decide if it's worth keeping. That's what it's all about.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I know the cube was losing gold because i was test panning the tailings. I was thinking maybe a gold hog highbanker?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I know the cube was losing gold because i was test panning the tailings. I was thinking maybe a gold hog highbanker?

Or setting up the cube correctly and running it correctly? Was it level? Did you prep the mats correctly, etc?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cube loses gold when it is fed too quickly like for " production"

it's not what it's made for. Running 2 1/2 yards through it should take forever at the proper feed rate.

A gold Hog or a sluice with large expanded over moss or carpet would run material quicker and catch fine gold.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The $$$ rate per hour is appalling. If this is a hobby, go for it, other than a hobby, it will not put food on the table.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the cube loses gold when it is fed too quickly like for " production"

it's not what it's made for. Running 2 1/2 yards through it should take forever at the proper feed rate.

A gold Hog or a sluice with large expanded over moss or carpet would run material quicker and catch fine gold.

we probably were over feeding it. we will get a gold hog once we sell the cube. it is the deal my dad and i made with my mom.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never tried to run yards through a Gold Cube but it IS designed to run "1000lb"per hr from the inventor and manufactuer...

Loneprospector

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2018
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say not a proper sample. A couple yard sample from a property is will only tell you part of the property's story. I would say not the right equipment for sampling the property or mining the pay on this property. A good highbanker will allow you to run about 15 buckets of 1/2" minus material an hour. This will also allow you to take several 5yd samples from the property to better tell you if the property is worth filing for a claim.

If you are finding that much gold there and having a good time, you are doing it without a claim. It sounds like a great weekend hang out without the financial responsibility of having a claim.

Loneprospector

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2018
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the gold cube is not really made for production,
since its fine gold do a cleanup often, guys doing beach mining with pure black sand
say they do a full clean up after 2 five gallon buckets. One cubic yard is like 45 mostly full buckets.
build a pond or find a way to get water to use a sluice or high-banker.

Yards per bucket depends only on the size of the bucket. 26 almost full 5 gallon buckets will equal a yard of material. Here is where things get complicated. There are two types of yards that go through your equipment:

* First, is the yards of property dug. This is used to determine your gold per yard or $ per yard average. After taking out the bigger rocks you may actually put less material through your equipment. For instance there may be 25% of the hole you dig being large cobble. So there may be only 20 buckets of material to run for your 1yd hole.

* Second, is the actual yards of material you physically put through the box. This lets you know how much actual material your equipment will run per hour. So lets say your equipment will run 1yd per hour and your hole is 25% large cobble, a 5yd sample should take a little less than 4 hours to run.

So if you don't classify any of your material and run every rock that will fit in a bucket, only then can you measure the hole you dig by the amount of buckets you run.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but it's not 26 buckets per yard!

A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet, at 7 gallons per cubic foot. That equals 189 gallons. Divide that by 5 and you get 37.8. So it's 37.8 full 5 gallon buckets per yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread