I think the neighbors are trying to run me off.

Loneprospector

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2018
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every year about this time I get ants in my pants waiting for the snow to melt so I can get up in the hills where the good gold is. The only cure for the ants is to get out to one of my local favorite places to do some sluicing, thus helping me get into shape for the longer heavier hauls.

I have never had a problem at this location before and have been visiting it for 31 years now. Its at a location that is far enough away that makes it not economical to spend more than a day here without staying the night. The only public access to this place is from a county road. This road doesn't have no parking signs, no overnight parking signs or no camping signs. Heck some of the neighbors even stop and check in with my buddy and I to see how we are doing on the gold.

A week ago as we were about to be done for the day we heard gun shots up by where we parked. The only thing up there is a freeway overpass, the road we drove in on and the pull out area where we parked. Turned out that some kids were shooting a shotgun from inside their car that was stopped in the middle of the road. We called 911 and 2 sheriff's came out to see what was going on. The sheriff was pretty cool and even came back the following day to check in on us to see if we were still on the gold.

This week when we went out to our spot this week we had a really good first and second day. The morning of our 3rd day, while I was eating breakfast, a sheriff came and knocked on the window of my truck. I got out and he asked me what I was doing. I said I am a recreational prospector and have been doing some digging on the river. He asked if I had spoken with a sheriff out here before and I responded only when I called them the previous week. He then told me that someone had called 911 on us and said we were living out there. We let the sheriff know we both had mortgages and were just out for a little prospecting. He then got upset (not with us) that someone would waste his time.

Well we didn't scare and worked the river another day until our backs screamed hot tub.

I ran 15 buckets of 1/4" minus and recovered a little over .5 grams this trip. Not bad for a disabled old fat man in western Washington.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds to me like the local LEO is going to increase presence in the area; not that your doing anything wrong, more for your own protection. Plus I am sure they would like an arrest or at the least prevent people from shooting on a public road.

Two things you can do, keep going about your business as you have for some long; or contact the local office via telephone next time you head up, just to let them know your going to be in the area, this way they can anticipate any morons messing around on the road. Maybe even thank them for what they are doing.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every year about this time I get ants in my pants waiting for the snow to melt so I can get up in the hills where the good gold is. The only cure for the ants is to get out to one of my local favorite places to do some sluicing, thus helping me get into shape for the longer heavier hauls.

I have never had a problem at this location before and have been visiting it for 31 years now. Its at a location that is far enough away that makes it not economical to spend more than a day here without staying the night. The only public access to this place is from a county road. This road doesn't have no parking signs, no overnight parking signs or no camping signs. Heck some of the neighbors even stop and check in with my buddy and I to see how we are doing on the gold.

A week ago as we were about to be done for the day we heard gun shots up by where we parked. The only thing up there is a freeway overpass, the road we drove in on and the pull out area where we parked. Turned out that some kids were shooting a shotgun from inside their car that was stopped in the middle of the road. We called 911 and 2 sheriff's came out to see what was going on. The sheriff was pretty cool and even came back the following day to check in on us to see if we were still on the gold.

This week when we went out to our spot this week we had a really good first and second day. The morning of our 3rd day, while I was eating breakfast, a sheriff came and knocked on the window of my truck. I got out and he asked me what I was doing. I said I am a recreational prospector and have been doing some digging on the river. He asked if I had spoken with a sheriff out here before and I responded only when I called them the previous week. He then told me that someone had called 911 on us and said we were living out there. We let the sheriff know we both had mortgages and were just out for a little prospecting. He then got upset (not with us) that someone would waste his time.

Well we didn't scare and worked the river another day until our backs screamed hot tub.

I ran 15 buckets of 1/4" minus and recovered a little over .5 grams this trip. Not bad for a disabled old fat man in western Washington.

I know how ya feel. We got fleas following us around now. No sooner than the 90 days was up, a claim flipper from CA came in and claimed something we had. No worries though. It wasn't exactly what we were looking for anyhow. We have better prospects going.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like the local LEO is going to increase presence in the area; not that your doing anything wrong, more for your own protection. Plus I am sure they would like an arrest or at the least prevent people from shooting on a public road.

Two things you can do, keep going about your business as you have for some long; or contact the local office via telephone next time you head up, just to let them know your going to be in the area, this way they can anticipate any morons messing around on the road. Maybe even thank them for what they are doing.
Giving PD a heads up for the area units is great advice. Funny, my first thought was the sleeping in a motor vehicle was just probable cause to make contact with you & a later search of your vehicle if needed. Hint - When you hop out to talk to them, casually push the lock button when closing the door. They need to ask for permission to search if it's locked & if they're just being bored jerks, they don't want to get tied up waiting for a search warrant.

OP
OP
L

Loneprospector

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2018
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Giving PD a heads up for the area units is great advice. Funny, my first thought was the sleeping in a motor vehicle was just probable cause to make contact with you & a later search of your vehicle if needed. Hint - When you hop out to talk to them, casually push the lock button when closing the door. They need to ask for permission to search if it's locked & if they're just being bored jerks, they don't want to get tied up waiting for a search warrant.

I guess I should give a few more details... First, I wasn't sleeping in my vehicle and I had nothing to hide in my vehicle or on my person. I had a hammock down at the river. Second, the sheriff didn't even ask our names or ask us for our ID's. Third, when he left he was shaking his head like the person who called was wasting his time.

I don't feel like anyone should have to announce to any agency their intentions when there is nothing wrong going on. If I need to do this, there is something seriously wrong. Do not let this type of activity become the norm. This post was merely to bring attention to the fact that even though some prospectors follow the rules, there are still folks out there that don't want us doing what we do, even though it doesn't affect them at all.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Good for you LP !! Know your rights and where you are at all times and have the laws pertaining to what your doing and where you are doing it at NEATLY in a folder for you to have IF & WHEN needed to show that you aren't just someone that don't know whats up!

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice Oddjob. Staying in touch, especially when not required, and perhaps let them know when you intend to leave is how to make friends and perhaps new miners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread