Prepping for AK

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a little scarce around here lately, but have been busy prepping for the trip next summer. I've got the deployment boxes built for the A22 cargo bags. The boxes are built for 4 box pallets of 40x48x48". We had the same boxes and cargo system when I was in the Guard. We will have 2 pallets of the boxes, and a 10' box for all the pipe and other long items that can't fit in the palletized boxes. I don't like the idea of having to bring wood fence posts along, but the nearest place to get any wood will be marching 4 miles down to the treeline, cut the wood where the salmon and bears are, and drag it back up the mountain.
IMG_3135.JPG

For flying the boxes, every box will need to be weighed, so that nothing goes above 2000lbs per pallet. This is a 400lb postal scale. We'll need it for the trip back as well. Empty the boxes weigh in at 65 - 69lbs.
IMG_3137.JPG

Here's the kitchen box partially packed. Duel fuel stove, 2 Aquatainers, 2 Vario water filters and spares, pots, paper towels, dinnerware, first aid kits, ect.
IMG_3134.JPG

There's still enough room for 2 GGT Explorers in here!
IMG_3133.JPG

I'll need to get another case for the radios and solar panel system adapters. We'll have 150W of solar for power, and will be able to run everything from it.
IMG_3136.JPG

And for the bears. 2 AKM's for personal defense, and a 3 Joule solar fence charger for the camp perimeter.
IMG_3140.JPG

Upvote 0

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the zoo yesterday and checked the bears out. They had a grizzly, and a Kodiak. Didn't see anything that 7.62x39 couldn't stop. I honestly thought they'd be bigger! The only bear that I'd want a bigger gun for was the polar bear.

On the way back, I picked up the wood for the 2 holer for the poop tent.

The zoo... uh, not a great place to see what a pissed off bear looks like. If your in the area of hatchers pass you are not remote. I know of no one who hunts with an AK in AK. To think its good bear protection shows a bit about yourself. As well as you are planning for this trip I would think you might take the advice of others here that are trying to help keep you from becoming a pile of scat on the mountain side lol.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The zoo... uh, not a great place to see what a pissed off bear looks like. If your in the area of hatchers pass you are not remote. I know of no one who hunts with an AK in AK. To think its good bear protection shows a bit about yourself. As well as you are planning for this trip I would think you might take the advice of others here that are trying to help keep you from becoming a pile of scat on the mountain side lol.

.Leave him be if he won’t listen. It’s evolution in action...

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We never had a problem with bears in that area and we camped a lot up there being that it was close to the house outside Wasilla.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread