Stannous Chloride Test Question

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm planning to use stannous chloride testing to help me more quickly test source material for gold, silver, platinum, etc. To do this, I'll need to dissolve the samples in agua regia.

Before getting to far into this approach, I'd like to know if there are any subtleties, gotchas that could lead to inaccurate results. For example, most of my samples will have a lot of iron oxides. Could this fact negatively affect stannous chloride testing? Any other issues?

Upvote 0

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I only use stannous for testing gold in cyanide solution. I have not tested for any other mineral. For other minerals I have always gone to a lab. Herewith a picture of a stannous colour test of gold in cyanide solution. This was fairly weak at 1.36g per cube.i personally have had no issue with iron. Screenshot_20180528-195829.png

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi I only use stannous for testing gold in cyanide solution. I have not tested for any other mineral. For other minerals I have always gone to a lab. Herewith a picture of a stannous colour test of gold in cyanide solution. This was fairly weak at 1.36g per cube.i personally have had no issue with iron. View attachment 1595689

Appreciate the info pczim! I've read a fair amount about using agua regia to dissolve gold into solution. Most of the info discussed dissolving gold from circuit boards and the such. Not much on using it in the way I intend to. Hence, my question. I've read a bit on using cyanide to leach gold from crushed ore. Looked interesting but wouldn't even know where to start looking for cyanide. Also, the thought of using cyanide is a bit unnerving. Your a braver person than I!

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know about the costs where your from but where I am a lab reading on solution $5 it may be your best bet. Stannous is more of an indicator. I have found that it stops reading gold at under .2g per cube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread