Question About Legs for GGT Explorer

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Garret Super Sluice/pans, Proline pans, Keene A-51 Sluice, Keene A-52 Sluice, Pyramid Pro Pan, Blue Bowl, Gold Cube, GoldHog Multi Sluice, GoldHog Stream Sluice, Grizzly Gold Trap - Explorer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
The creeks I'm trying to sluice in has no larger rocks so I need to build a leg system for my GGT Explorer to set in the creek. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or plans for a DIY set of legs. I'm not a great engineer lol, and the few ideas I've tinkered around with make me nervous about affecting the structural integrity of the sluice walls. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ben -

We have a stand that fits a GGT - We are in process of restocking our new aluminum version.
Should be finally in stock by June 15th

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your situation is not entirely clear but it sounds like you are wanting to set up your GGT in a flat water creek and that also suggests not much stream speed. If that is the case then using a stand may not be of much benefit (?) since stream speed is probably the main key to getting a fluid bed to operate properly. I'm thinking that your trap will just quickly fill up and, with not enough flow from the tubes to make the bed active enough to do much gravity sorting, new feed will mostly just wash out the exit. Testing will tell the tale though. In any case, good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BenArmstrong

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Garret Super Sluice/pans, Proline pans, Keene A-51 Sluice, Keene A-52 Sluice, Pyramid Pro Pan, Blue Bowl, Gold Cube, GoldHog Multi Sluice, GoldHog Stream Sluice, Grizzly Gold Trap - Explorer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies so far. I will check out the stand when it's back in stock.
As far as the situation. It is a flat creek with lots of smaller gravel (probably about 3 - 4 inch rocks on down), however there is actually pretty decent flow on the creek, so speed should be OK . . . I think (still very new to this). It was pushing against me pretty hard when I was walking through the creek. The main issue is that there are no larger rocks to wedge and anchor my GGT and prevent it from floating down river or set it up correctly. I have never run one before so hopefully I'm not setting myself up for failure on all of this. Also testing will be kind of difficult as here in WI the gold is all EXTREMELY small flour gold. I guess this is all part of the fun lol.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BenArmstrong

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did think about some cinder blocks, but I'm not a big guy and carrying those plus the other gear down the creek seems like a pretty rough time. I would love to be able to use rocks from the creek, but the spot I'm on has all smaller rocks and gravel. Short of buying a stand, I think I have a plan that might work. I have a metal sluice with built in legs that my GGT explorer actually fits in. So this might be problem solved. Now to try and get that elusive and rare WI gold!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Instead of hauling cinder blocks, carry empty buckets. Fill them on site to use to secure the sluice in place..

OP
OP
BenArmstrong

BenArmstrong

Jun 10, 2017
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin! That's a great idea! Hopefully I'll be able to post some gold pics before too long!

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about this? I made one for my 24" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper and it fits 2 other sluices too. I made a bigger one for my alluvial sluice that happens to fit the Motherload Grizzly Gold trap I have. It breaks down and the legs slip in. Works great!

0505172253.jpg

0505172247.jpg

0619170944.jpg

0619170948.jpg

0619170945.jpg

0617171356.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool! Maybe add thumbscrews to the leg grippers though. Otherwise they will get loose over time.

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The fittings for the legs are nice and snug.The whole thing only has 2 pins. My concern was dropping a tiny part and not being able to use it. I think the fittings are so inexpensive that it would be worth it to replace them as they are screwed together not glued. Glue just didn't give me time to line up the parts. The crossmembers had to have the slope built in but but it doesn't prevent making some angle adjustments. And I can take the sluice out. I just tie the legs down and put a rock on them in fast water. Regular stream water won't make them move when without the sluice.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you have a winner then :)

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thx K, I am always looking for a better way. Thank you for the suggestion! Yes, I have used this design now for about a year. When the water changes it's easy to grab the cross member, twist the leg and it adjusts. It's too difficult to just try to pull through without the twist. The legs don't seem to move when I shovel dirt or pour from a bucket. Sometimes it settles into the stream gravels. Probably just like any other stand. The OP was concerned about attaching someting to the sidewalls, as was I. This actually supports the side walls as it uses the wedge design to keep it in place. Also, the underneith is supported as well. Not that I'm an engineer, it just came together as an idea for a light weight solution and for speed as I wanted a "stand" instead of bolt on legs so I wouldn't have to disturb the setting. Well, theres my suggestion! By the way, my motherload works really well. I had it in a spot that was not flowing enough to flow over the Grizzlies. I'd say it only made it half way. I ran it anyway because I had no other options. It ran just fine. Sure I cleared some rocks. But I processed more material than I could have with my alluvial sluice. Only minor rock clearing. And, just poured from a bucket. Kept the capture chamber level as I was after sub 50 gold. It caught everything and I was impressed to find out I didnt need full over the grizzlies water to make it work.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Maybe add thumbscrews to the leg grippers though. Otherwise they will get loose over time.

A couple hose clamps would keep anything from moving and you can toss in a few extra for almost no weight penalty.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple hose clamps would keep anything from moving and you can toss in a few extra for almost no weight penalty.

OOoooooh! Good call!! Take a small torque screw driver and lanyard it to the legs so you always have a tool for moving/tightening the hose clamps. Home depot here I come!

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol, hey, you guys are thinking the same thing I thought. So, when I made this I had 4 hose clamps. 1 for each leg and one of those 4 in 1 screwdrivers without the bit as the inside is the size of the hex nut. It was a great idea. Except, when I had to loosen the clamp AND twist the legs even things out then tighten the clam again times 4!!! I said to heck with that. What's the point of running a fluid bed sluice if it takes 15 min each time ya need to level things out! It turns out, those slip through fittings I have on there are very tight. They don't slip. It's kinda hard to twist them even. So,I dumped the clamps and now it's quick and easy. Twist move done. So, that experiment has been done. Just so ya know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread