Question About Legs for GGT Explorer
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Question About Legs for GGT Explorer

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2017
    Madison, WI
    Garret Super Sluice/pans, Proline pans, Keene A-51 Sluice, Keene A-52 Sluice, Pyramid Pro Pan, Blue Bowl, Gold Cube, GoldHog Multi Sluice, GoldHog Stream Sluice, Grizzly Gold Trap - Explorer
    12 times
    Prospecting

Hi all,
    The creeks I'm trying to sluice in has no larger rocks so I need to build a leg system for my GGT Explorer to set in the creek. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or plans for a DIY set of legs. I'm not a great engineer lol, and the few ideas I've tinkered around with make me nervous about affecting the structural integrity of the sluice walls. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

us
    Apr 2017
    Galt, CA
    139 times
    Prospecting
    Ben -

We have a stand that fits a GGT - We are in process of restocking our new aluminum version.
    Should be finally in stock by June 15th

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2988 times
    Prospecting
    Your situation is not entirely clear but it sounds like you are wanting to set up your GGT in a flat water creek and that also suggests not much stream speed. If that is the case then using a stand may not be of much benefit (?) since stream speed is probably the main key to getting a fluid bed to operate properly. I'm thinking that your trap will just quickly fill up and, with not enough flow from the tubes to make the bed active enough to do much gravity sorting, new feed will mostly just wash out the exit. Testing will tell the tale though. In any case, good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; May 29, 2018 at 01:52 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jun 2017
    Madison, WI
    Garret Super Sluice/pans, Proline pans, Keene A-51 Sluice, Keene A-52 Sluice, Pyramid Pro Pan, Blue Bowl, Gold Cube, GoldHog Multi Sluice, GoldHog Stream Sluice, Grizzly Gold Trap - Explorer
    12 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks for the replies so far. I will check out the stand when it's back in stock.
    As far as the situation. It is a flat creek with lots of smaller gravel (probably about 3 - 4 inch rocks on down), however there is actually pretty decent flow on the creek, so speed should be OK . . . I think (still very new to this). It was pushing against me pretty hard when I was walking through the creek. The main issue is that there are no larger rocks to wedge and anchor my GGT and prevent it from floating down river or set it up correctly. I have never run one before so hopefully I'm not setting myself up for failure on all of this. Also testing will be kind of difficult as here in WI the gold is all EXTREMELY small flour gold. I guess this is all part of the fun lol.

us
    Gold & Gem Prospector

Nov 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Fisher GBII
    173 times
    Prospecting
    Have you thought about carrying a few bricks or cinder blocks with you ?
    RTR likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    13567 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshotnc View Post
    Have you thought about carrying a few bricks or cinder blocks with you ?
    Ditto on that .And ,or,using rocks from the creek
    russau likes this.

us
    Jun 2017
    Madison, WI
    12 times
    Prospecting
    I did think about some cinder blocks, but I'm not a big guy and carrying those plus the other gear down the creek seems like a pretty rough time. I would love to be able to use rocks from the creek, but the spot I'm on has all smaller rocks and gravel. Short of buying a stand, I think I have a plan that might work. I have a metal sluice with built in legs that my GGT explorer actually fits in. So this might be problem solved. Now to try and get that elusive and rare WI gold!

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10626 times
    Prospecting
    Instead of hauling cinder blocks, carry empty buckets. Fill them on site to use to secure the sluice in place..

us
    Jun 2017
    Madison, WI
    12 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks Kevin! That's a great idea! Hopefully I'll be able to post some gold pics before too long!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4470 times
    Back when I dry washed , I carried 30 plus 5 gallon plastic buckets If nothing else , someone always had a seat!
    arizau and KevinInColorado like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    248 times
    Prospecting
    How about this? I made one for my 24" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper and it fits 2 other sluices too. I made a bigger one for my alluvial sluice that happens to fit the Motherload Grizzly Gold trap I have. It breaks down and the legs slip in. Works great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0505172253.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	1600345

Name:	0505172247.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	1600346

Name:	0619170944.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	1600347

Name:	0619170948.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	1600348

Name:	0619170945.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1600349

Name:	0617171356.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	1600350

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10626 times
    Prospecting

Cool! Maybe add thumbscrews to the leg grippers though. Otherwise they will get loose over time.
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jun 10, 2018 at 04:15 AM.
    Tahoegold likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2024 times
    Prospecting
    You can also buy sandbags cheap at hardware stores and carry a roll in your pack for wing dams or whatever. They weigh almost nothing and take up little room.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    248 times
    Prospecting
    The fittings for the legs are nice and snug.The whole thing only has 2 pins. My concern was dropping a tiny part and not being able to use it. I think the fittings are so inexpensive that it would be worth it to replace them as they are screwed together not glued. Glue just didn't give me time to line up the parts. The crossmembers had to have the slope built in but but it doesn't prevent making some angle adjustments. And I can take the sluice out. I just tie the legs down and put a rock on them in fast water. Regular stream water won't make them move when without the sluice.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10626 times
    Prospecting
    Sounds like you have a winner then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links