• 20180527_183313.jpg
    20180527_183313.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure which parts in the picture you're looking at.
Give it the shadow test. Gold even is a shadow is still gold colored, non gold will turn black or disappear. Likely Iron pyrite(fools gold) or mica.
Or try the crunch test. take a piece and try to crush it with a knife blade. If it shatters it isn't gold. gold is soft and will bend. Both look good in sun light but fail both tests.
Remember the old movies where the guy bites down on a gold coin to see if it's real, no bite mark, no money.....same testing scenario.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that could be a flake in the lower right. need better pictures

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard GoldenHiker! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its not as yellow as im seeing in pictures but its not attracted to magnets... is it gold or was i the only fool that stopped for this on my hike?

Everytime that I think that pyrite couldn't possibly fool me again, pyrite finds some new and interesting way to do just that. An easy way to help rule out fools gold is to try to crumble/crush it. If it crumbles or breaks apart it’s not gold. Gold will bend/deform.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
you can weight it. if its gold it should be a grain or very close to it. try a smear test. if it leaves a streak its not gold. nice thing about gold, when you have it, there is no question about what it is. by the pic it looks like gold to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread