Let the stream help you do it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let the stream help you do it.....Wet classify that is. Expressing my thoughts out loud to my wife usually gets me in trouble but I feel a little safer here.:laughing7:

Some of us prospectors classify our feed and water classification is the best way thus the following. What if a ramped up grizzly* was installed in a three sided container and submerged to let natural stream flow do the washing and classifying while the closed end collects the under sized feed? I can forsee that as the container fills that some under size material will stream out over the end but a reverse wicker may impede that to some extent and hopefully that material will not include gold. The overfilling aspect will need to monitored visually. In my mind the open end, bottom and sides, would need to extend upstream beyond the start of the grizzly to insure that all the feed has a chance to settle and get washed and classified. What ultimately collects there could be stirred then cleared by hand (I would rather do this than shake and spin a bucket classifier). I think the closed end should be relatively low to ensure water flows freely through the container or maybe tilt the container but also tilt the closed end backwards so that it remains at least vertical when in use.

Disclaimer: I've given you my thoughts, harebrained or not, but will leave the final design and testing to you. I am a desert prospector.

*If I were to build a unit I would use rods or even wooden dowels for the grizzly....much easier to clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i rake pull rock and classify right in the hole shovel when I get a good amount prepped. I dont fully clean the bedrock until im done using the area to prep and classify

sometimes with low flow after creating a low spot well classify into in , shovel and deal with some of the bigger stuff as it pops up

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so how about Arizonas Idea with a hose/pipe coming out of the low end feeding a sluice....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread