Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been bitten by the gold bug lol, and was wondering what tools you would not be able to go prospecting without. I have most of the small hand tools needed, classifiers, pans, buckets, hand dredge sucker, etc. I was wondering what else may help me be more successful on the river.

Thanks, Carl

Check out the Club in your area, and see what is working for them. Wisconsin is a lot different from Arizona, or California. Check in with the locals in the areas you prospect. :occasion14:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
It would depend a lot on where you're intending to prospect. My kit here in Arizona has just as much survival/dehydration equipment as it does prospecting, if not more. Three spots I really want to look at are having to wait until the fall because we can't conveniently and safely carry enough water for the hike and back to the truck.

Go with Terry's advise and join local clubs. You'll learn a lot and save yourself a crapload of time too.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shovel. An obvious choice not on your original post.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I understand the whole sluice box thing, does a sluice box recover fine gold better than panning or is it that you can run more dirt?? The club thing is a good idea, but this is something I want to do on my own, besides I would not be able to give anything back to the club which seems kinda unfair to me, I just don't have the time for a club right now, bass fishing, bass tournaments, self employed, archery shoots, archery club etc.

Thanks for the replies, Carl

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluicing is much easier than panning and one can usually run much more material per outing. The collected sluice concentrates still need to be panned for gold recovery but, by definition, in a much smaller quantity and you can do that at home. Sluice choices are numerous but maybe someone will chime in with their favorites. I hand made mine and rarely use them since most of my prospecting is in arid areas. Relatively fast running water through a rocky riffle is where they are normally set up.

Good luck

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend the money on a Flow Pan! I just hit Nugget Lake and it was bagging #300-400 no problem! That will catch everything WI has.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure I understand the whole sluice box thing, does a sluice box recover fine gold better than panning or is it that you can run more dirt?? The club thing is a good idea, but this is something I want to do on my own, besides I would not be able to give anything back to the club which seems kinda unfair to me, I just don't have the time for a club right now, bass fishing, bass tournaments, self employed, archery shoots, archery club etc.

Thanks for the replies, Carl
When you find your first piece of gold, your life's priorities may change, all those other things you do may mean nothing, will you get the gold fever ? Clubs are there to help you and so are the old timers, second I was taught a lot of my mining knowledge by old timers who are long gone now and in respect for them I teach others what I have learned from them, you could do that too.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say, yes, it depends on the local enviroment. My basic pack looks like this:

(Compass - for navigation, measuring geological features, if you have a map.)
Non-glaced porcelain - to find out the streakcolor, test minerals.
Knife; Preferably 2 of them, then a knife can be used for hardness testing of minerals.
Loupe - 10x triplet, used to study minerals.
Boots - good hiking boots.
Rubberboots
Extra dry socks, if it gets wet ...
Goldpan, sieve and shovel
Map / GPS - to navigate and tag finds.
Food, drinks and coffee pot. That includes dried fruits, nuts etc.
Backpack, ideally, most should fit in the backpack, 70L + is recommended.
Hammers, to break rock with. Eye protection and protective gloves are recommended.
Pen, make sure to mark specimens
Plastic bags to store specimens.
Clothes as needed.
Lighters, matches or the like. To make a fire to cook or something else.
A cooking vessel

If useful, I'll strap a sluice to my backpack.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find your first piece of gold, your life's priorities may change, all those other things you do may mean nothing, will you get the gold fever ? Clubs are there to help you and so are the old timers, second I was taught a lot of my mining knowledge by old timers who are long gone now and in respect for them I teach others what I have learned from them, you could do that too.

et1955, the bug has bitten me lol, I found my first piece over the holiday weekend.

Carl

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say, yes, it depends on the local enviroment. My basic pack looks like this:

Knife; Preferably 2 of them, then a knife can be used for hardness testing of minerals.
Rubberboots
Hammers, to break rock with. Eye protection and protective gloves are recommended.
Clothes as needed.
A cooking vessel

Thanks for the reply, with a pack loaded with all that stuff I would have to hire someone to carry it for me lol.

Carl

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply, with a pack loaded with all that stuff I would have to hire someone to carry it for me lol.

Carl

Hahha, yeah. I go equipped for basic sampling with pan, hard rock and some basic geological mapping. Basically an all-round set.
Including food & water, I probably end up near 10-20 Kgs. An 8 hour day in the woods and I'm beat.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
mule to haul this,sorry,i tell my friends that all iam missing.brad

Rubberboots
Clothes as needed.
A cooking vessel

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A good pack frame to strap all your gear on is pretty handy. When I get a bigger place I plan on getting a mule or some burros, has long been a dream of mine.

image1 (1).JPG

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I have all the basics needed to be successful on the river, good back pack with 2 pans 14 inch, 1/8 and 30 mesh classifiers, rock hammer, 1/2 and 1 inch chisels, snuffer bottle just in case lol, 12 and 16 inch screw drivers for cleaning crevises {spelling},gold buddy hand dredge, 32 inch pry bar, small gravel shovel, bug spray, magnifying glass, couple pair tweezers, soft brushes, head lamp, jet dry, and a 5 gallon bucket.

Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions