Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: New Prospector, getting skunked!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2018
    Cornville, AZ
    Garrett AT MAX
    79 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

New Prospector, getting skunked!

New to prospecting. Have been metal detecting cracks in bedrock, cant seem to get a single hit of gold. I even dig some of the cracks that dont make sound. I have been going out on the 120 in tulomne county, California. Multiple days I took cherry lake road to a few streams, and rivers. I went to cherry creek, and clavey river. skunk town, usa. There are gold mines in the area, so either I'm not looking in the right cracks or gold doesnt exist. lol any locals to the area , any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    RichieRich likes this.

us
    Mr

Mar 2013
    Meridian Id
    Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
    490 times
    What machine are you swinging?
    rcb187 and Oddjob like this.
    All the Best Richie Rich

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    755 times
    Prospecting
    Try looking for concentrations of iron with your detector, gold is going to hang up in the same areas as iron trash like old nails and other hardware. Careful in that area a lot of the ground is under claim.
    rcb187 likes this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2927 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb187 View Post
    New to prospecting. Have been metal detecting cracks in bedrock, cant seem to get a single hit of gold. I even dig some of the cracks that dont make sound. I have been going out on the 120 in tulomne county, California. Multiple days I took cherry lake road to a few streams, and rivers. I went to cherry creek, and clavey river. skunk town, usa. There are gold mines in the area, so either I'm not looking in the right cracks or gold doesnt exist. lol any locals to the area , any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    N-Lionberger warned you about gold claims in the area you are searching. This site will show you the area where they are. Welcome to Land Matters.
    Slowtaknow, Oddjob and rcb187 like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3184 times
    Spend 20 bucks on a gold pan and start getting gold. MD for gold is difficult at best. No matter what machine u have its an art and requires a high degree of skill. Not trying to discourage but the easiest,cheapest and fastest way to get gold is a pan.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Mar 2016
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Spend 20 bucks on a gold pan and start getting gold. MD for gold is difficult at best. No matter what machine u have its an art and requires a high degree of skill. Not trying to discourage but the easiest,cheapest and fastest way to get gold is a pan.
    This.

Find small gold with a pan till it gets bigger, break out the detector when you get to the bigger stuff & bedrock. Success starts with geological reports telling you exactly where and within what the gold in an area has been found. Everything after that is just diligent persistence.
    rcb187, Rail Dawg and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11762 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yep start with a pan . There is gold in your area.

Pretty much everywhere that you can drive to where the creek meets or is close to a road is gonna be claimed be careful.

It takes a long time to get good at detecting for gold. Even then you won't find it without the right detector and spots with relatively shallow detectable gold.

Learn to find it with a pan first.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jun 09, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
    goldenmojo and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    743 times
    If you know any property owners in the twain hart or groveland area try there.Groveland had lots of hardrock mines.
    rcb187 likes this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1880 times
    Swing that bleeper. You get it over gold it will let ya know.
    Maybe a gold coin!
    Thing about medal detecting we gots the easy stuff when the goldbug was made.
    Now you gotta just be honest with self cover much ground.

Bleep on good luck
    Gt.
    rcb187 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    11328 times
    Just keep at it.IF it was easy,we all would be rich
    Rail Dawg and rcb187 like this.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    1126 times
    are you finding any metal,? brad
    Oddjob and rcb187 like this.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4697 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb187 View Post
    The motherlode is full of gold. I had to estimate how much gold was left in the Motherlode for a college course final and from the best info I could assemble I got $197,904,000,000 give or take a few million for the 11 mile section from Plymouth to Jackson only at the current spot price of $1304 today. Randomly waving your machine around and hoping is one way to go. The other is study the geology of the formation of gold, California plate tectonics, gold dispersion patterns from its original source, California mining history, local history, how to specifically detect for gold and mastering how to work a pan. Be sure that you are not detcting someone's claim, they really don't like it. Good Luck and stay safe. Your first place to start is

Welcome to Land Matters

Additional Tuolumne reading

https://archive.org/details/historyoftuolumn00lang

https://archive.org/stream/tuolcou00...0sono_djvu.txt

https://books.google.com/books?id=gn...page&q&f=false

May 2018
    Cornville, AZ
    Garrett AT MAX
    79 times
    I have the Garett AT MAX. someone told me to try a different smaller coil. I do have a pan, when I dig the cracks I add the material to the pan, take it to the river and pan it out. I Always seem to find lots of black sand. I recently have permission on an old claim from the 1940s. It is quartz vein bearing gold. The claim has been inactive for years. There is a big tailings pile and I'm going to take a sample.

I see some claims listed for sale on craigslist for a couple thousand. I can't see the claim being sold if it has decent amount of gold? or maybe its just too much work for that person?

I appreciate all the responses guys.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11762 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    at maxx is not a very good hoice for small gold
    rcb187 and RichieRich like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22359 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    NEVER buy a gold claim as a greenhorn - EVER!

You need to join a club that has claims and learn. You are hitting places that have been POUNDED for a century.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links