Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone...looking into starting my trommel build this summer...Does anyone know a good place or website to purchase chain sprockets, support wheels, or the actual trommel barrel from? I've been looking around but haven't been able to find these supplies yet. Thanks

If the local hardware store doesnt have the wheels, sprockets, chain and fasteners then you can try www.grainger.com or www.mcmaster.com or even www.ebay.com

The trommel barrel may be a bit harder to find as a unit because that would probably need to be fabricated to order, any local welding shop could do this. You could research other trommel manufacturers and try to buy just a barrel.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do a lot of fabrication, and the best thing to do is to learn CAD (computer aided drafting). There are several free platforms. Once you can do that, you can draw up your trommel and figure out the dimensions for the wheels, barrel, etc. Once you know what you need, it's fairly easy to locate sellers, or fabricators in the event you need custom parts made. The benefit of CAD is you can see the outcome, and find interferences that you didn't imagine, thus saving on parts that end up not being useful.
Jim

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or if you're building a smaller trommel, a couple of standard home water heater tanks welded together can be made into a nice size barrel, then just mount the punch plate or woven wire over the last 12" or so.

OP
OP
M

Mooch3597

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CAD is a great tool especially with specifying dimensions. I have a CAD model of the trommel I would like to build. It’s a 2ft diameter trommel driven by a small gas engine with a 6:1 gear reduction. I have the drive chain going around the entire barrel’s circumference... I’m thinking I might have to custom order a 2ft diameter sprocket? I’ve heard of some just resting the barrel to drive roller, but I would think this might not be ideal for a small testing trommel?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd bet that sprocket will be really spendy. What tools do you have available to you? That's a big factor in an economic build of your trommel. Knowing that, I might have some suggestions.
Jim

OP
OP
M

Mooch3597

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking it's going to be speedy too...I have plenty of tools for metal working...The only thing I'm not able to do is bend very thick metal. Any other designs ideas/suggestions to avoid this problem?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
maybe look for some old junk motorcycle chains and sprockets.also look in the scrap pile at the metal place.
sound fun, brad

Last edited:

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may take longer and be more work, but anything thick that needs bent can always be cut and welded. Make sure that you account for where all your rock is going to go and make it as easy as possible for clean up. I would suggest building your own barrel, eaither find some pipe, or something to repurpose, like an old propane tank (just don't blow it up cutting into it). Once you have it the size you want just cut out sections where you want your screens to be, then just weld your screens over the holes, punch plate would be best. Then in the scrubber section weld in a couple agitators and your good to go. As far as a direct chain driven barrel, as stated above the sprocket will be very expensive. You might have better luck finding someone with a CNC plasma cutter than can cut you one out of a sheet of steel. The right person would do it cheaper than you can buy one and hopefully you could get the steel from somewhere cheap, possibly used. Or you could scrounge around to try to find one used off of something like an old cement mixer. Many parts are expensive new, but with some searching and a little extra work, you can turn old scrap into your new trommel for pretty cheap.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking it's going to be speedy too...I have plenty of tools for metal working...The only thing I'm not able to do is bend very thick metal. Any other designs ideas/suggestions to avoid this problem?

Mooch, you might consider making the sprocket yourself. You could make it in sections. because of the slow speed, it doesn't need to be made perfectly. If you can find a tooth profile on the 'net, you could draw it into your CAD program and make a printed copy of the sprocket you could apply to a sheet of steel or aluminum. Another way to make the drive for your trommel is using automotive serpentine belts. I've used one for years on my Southbend Heavy 10 lathe. They have lots of traction, and you can get by with smooth pulleys rather than having to make sprockets.
Jim

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the answer I have come up with is on the overs end of the barrel bring the ribs out and into the center where a small shaft and the final gear are placed to turn the barrel. the barrel rests on rollers that hold it in position and the feed hopper goes into the smaller end. the ribs come out beyond and then meet in the center so larger roicks have room to fall out between them. if I build one I plan to use a 4 by 6 foot expanded steel mesh rolled so it is a tube 4 foot long and most of a 55 gallon barrel is toward feed end. the people on this forum have convinced me you don't need all that screen area that tumbling ion the solid barrel section breaks up the gravel and mud and then the fines can go into a sluice from an area smaller than the whole barrel length.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another option which I am leaning towards on my trommel build is to power the rollers.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another option which I am leaning towards on my trommel build is to power the rollers.

I think that's the best option. Maybe spring-load one roller on each end to allow for some runout in the barrel, but still give firm contact for traction.
Jim

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m thinking I might have to custom order a 2ft diameter sprocket?

Sounds like something from a laser cutter or maybe water jet. It shouldn't be terribly expensive. While they are cutting 1 have them cut 2 so you have a spare if you are worried about uptime/ production.

McMaster Carr does list an 18" OD sprocket for $175

You might get lucky at an industrial salvage place but using odd ball parts from a place like that can lead to a cluster down the road.

I've worked on enough industrial junk to realize if you can find the parts on the shelf somewhere like McMaster Carr or they are a standard bearing on the shelf at the bearing house/ parts store you are better off in the long run.

OP
OP
M

Mooch3597

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw that 18" sprocket too...only problem is the bore size...I guess it might work to expand the bore size myself though.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's one that might work nicely on a 18" pipe https://www.rollerchain4less.com/80SF60--SF-Series--QD-Sprocket-Quick-Detachable_p_3107.html

Here's one that would work on a 20" pipe https://www.rollerchain4less.com/60SF96--SF-Series--QD-Sprocket-Quick-Detachable_p_3079.html

This has some ideas Trommel Drives

I do like the idea of having one laser cut or water jetted and instead of a big gear ring have a bunch of 20 tooth segments that bolt on cut out and a ring for them to bolt to. If you loose a tooth you aren't replacing the whole gear.

The idea of a driven roller or even a rear axle and transmission driving it seems like a good idea. If you use the right trans and rear end parts should be plentiful and easier to come by than odd ball industrial stuff.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Junkyard Dog" built by a friend from 2 water heater tanks, a Harbor Freight trailer and misc Junkyard parts.
received_10156144078540269.jpeg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"The Junkyard Dog" built by a friend from 2 water heater tanks, a Harbor Freight trailer and misc Junkyard parts.
View attachment 1603025

Looks gorgeous to me!

That looks like Blue Bucket country - will I get to see it when i visit in a couple weeks?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread